• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids How much Oxycodone to avoid withdrawal?

Mowerman124

Greenlighter
My wife had 3 semi-major surgeries over a 2 month period. She has been given OXycodone 10mg, like 30 in each prescription, she has typically taken between 30mg early on and now is at about 15mg. She stays more around the 15-20mg this past month. She is concerned about withdrawal.. Will that actually happen with a semi-low level of Oxycodone or is she going to experience real issues? Advice for moving on? Should she take tramadol for a few days to go down? Besides working out, eating health, etc. We really want this to be behind us.

If she has no recent addiction issues she should be fine. Maybe a quick taper but I wouldn't think it would get bad. Tell her to not overthink it.
Before I was an addict I had surgery and on a higher dose for 3-4 months and I never got withdrawal symptoms. Everyone is different though but I think she will be fine.
A slow taper done for a few days wouldn't be a bad idea though. Or just take a very small amount when(if) she feels unwell

15mg-20mg/day shouldn't cause anything more than some minor chills/hotflashes, insomnia, and stomach discomfort. Like @Jen X said, don't overthink it. It's easy to convince yourself that the WDs are much worse or much less severe than they actually are. Dwelling on it makes it worse for sure, been there way too many times. There are plenty of threads on BL that can recommend OTC meds to help with any discomfort.

How long ago was the surgery? I had major surgery and the Dr cut me off pain meds abruptly after a month, he said I shouldn't be in pain anymore and dont need them. He was right, as far as pain from surgery it was minimal and hardly needed pain killers. But I was addicted with a long history of addiction. I was on high doses of Dilaudid, he wrote me one last script and sent me on my way

In your post you don't mention anything about her being in pain. If I were her id just stop taking the pain meds and see how she feels. Its always easier to withdrawal while you have a stash of meds. has she talked about her concerns about withdrawaling with her Dr., I would right away so she doesnt just get cut off one day out of the blue.

Hi there @Mowerman124 and welcome to La Familia, the only way out is in a cell or in a box (or sometimes dead from Fentanyl) ;)

Dark humor aside (I'm Jewish, it doesn't turn off), we need to establish some things.

Is this your SO's first experience with strong Opioids? Has she ever had an experience of withdrawal? If so, this changes things drastically. By the sound of your post, this is a pretty legitimate case of a non-drug user using Opioids for pain management. If this is not the case, let me know. We will figure this out for you one way or another, I promise you're in good hands here.

30mg Oxycodone (Percocet; Endocet; Oxycontin) is nothing to sneeze at, but it's definitely within reason for someone recovering from surgery. I don't believe her prescription is too high or anything like that is out of order.

Opioid dependence typically takes weeks or months of constant use for someone to develop a dependence and associated withdrawal syndrome that would really kick their ass. Basically, we shouldn't need to devise a whole protocol for getting her off. A strong person with normal disposition and mental health should be able to have a surgery, take this medication and stop taking it after a month.

It is likely that the medication withdrawal will cause some discomfort, though this is likely to be nothing more severe than a minor cold. You can expect some minor discomfort/anxiety, perhaps some mildly sore joints and your eyes and nose might water a bit. This type of thing should resolve within 72 hours at most given your SO's stated history and pathology.

You mention things like being active. This is encouraging for me to here, as you[re clearly people who care at least somewhat about your health and wellbeing.

Your SO should have some potentially mild cold/flu sy,ptoms but nothing that would require drastic life changes or medication. Simply withdraw the medication in a slow thoughtful manner.

If it were me, I would pick a 5 day period near the end of the medication. Over this 5 day period, you will reduce the dosage in small increments of 5mg per day or so until the end. On the last day, she should take 5mg Oxycodone and then try to make it without anything else. I wouldn't advise introducing other Opioids like Tramadol into the pitcture, as the frequency/duration of time on the medication is equally important to the dosage. You want to minimize the amount of time "on Opioids" as every day you take them drags you further into dependence.

Not all situations are ideal though. If she is still in pain and it's just not working, I would advise trying a similar 5 day taper using the Tramadol and see if that makes the process easier for her.

TL;DR this shouldn't be too difficult man. Ask us anything. No question or concern is not worthy of our time. Good luck. I hope to talk to you soon and sending out good vibes and love to your ailing SO.