• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

How much drinking does it take to get WDs

darthsixious

Greenlighter
Hey guys!
So I went on vacation to Europe for 3 weeks and was wondering if my drinking habits will cause me problems when I get back. I have been gone for 12 days and have drank 11 days of them. On two of those days I got pretty drunk but for the most other days I would have anywhere between 1 bottle of beer (351 ml) to 3/4 (351 ml) bottles with dinner and almost never before bed mostly just around 5-7pm.

I had a terrible experience when I was young with alcohol wds and I don't wanna ever go through that again. I went on a 5 day binge with my friends drinking somewhere like a full 750 ml of 80 proof followed by endless beer. After getting home from this vacation I had visual hallucinations as did my other friends.

Anyways thoughts?
I feel like this is hindering my vacation because I'm constantly thinking about it

You might have sone WDs or you might not have. I remember being on holidays getting wasted everyday for few weeks in Pattaya as well as taking methylphenidate on top of that and some benzos for hangover while taking oxycodone mostly for pain. Didn't have any withdrawals after getting home and stopping to use alcohol except for weekends but we are each individuals and no one can say for sure if you get WDs or not.

If you had experienced alcohol withdrawals before, it's good to be cautious. So on your vacation, you're averaging less than five beers per day? Try to keep your consumption low and it wouldn't hurt to just have one or two.

Thanks for the response guys! I have been going anywhere between 24-36 hours with no symptoms at all so I think I'm super paranoid. I'm not getting drunk at all just feeling pressured cause that's what everyone does

OP, be aware, as you probably are from experience, of what is know as the "Kindling Effect" in relation to alcohol dependence and withdrawal. Essentially it's a description of a documented phenomenon involving ethanol-dependent individuals who successfully withdraw and abstain, but return to excessive alcohol use, developing dependency and withdrawal more quickly, with less frequency and less volume of intake than what was previously required.

For example, the first time I developed a dependency upon alcohol, I was drinking about a fifth (750ml) of 80 proof alcohol daily for about 3 months. Upon quitting I experienced a seizure and about 5 days of what I would consider pretty intense withdrawal symptoms. I successfully quit for about a year, but returned to drinking the same amount of alcohol. This time around, it only took 3 weeks of drinking 750ml per day to induce a significantly worse withdrawal syndrome than I had originally experienced.

Allegedly it just gets harder and harder everytime you quit and then relapse. This is something all alcoholics should be aware of. So to answer your question, it's possible to experience withdrawal symptoms given the frequency and volume of your recent alcohol intake, however, I doubt it would be anything severe or life-threatening. I wouldn't stress about it and would try to consume less alcohol so you won't have to deal with the consequences later.