• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids How Much Does Therapeutic Use Increase Tolerance re: Pain Pills?

Daygone

Greenlighter
I usually party with my pain pills, which means that I'm taking more than I should at one time. That's not to say that I don't use them for pain relief exclusively on occasion, but they definitely get partied with a lot. Obviously this raises my tolerance, which then drops back a bit when I have my typical dry spell of a few weeks. Now let's say that I were to reverse the ratios of how I use the pills, so that on a couple or three occasions I would party w/ them, but the rest of the time would be strictly pain relief. Assume 3-5 pills a day for this purpose. There would consequently be no "downtime" between scripts. What would be the effect on my tolerance with this approach? Granted, I'd have daily use going on, but the daily use would be at a much lower level than my tolerance level. What would it be like the next time I tried to party with the pills? TIA for info and insights!

In my experience the things that raise tolerance the most is dosing closer together, so taking 2-3 doses a day. Not taking frequent tolerance breaks, and chasing a high by redosing while already high.

I kept my tolerance pretty low for a few years when i was taking at least two week breaks for every 2-5 days of use and only dosing once a day. It stayed pretty low when i started to take opiates every day but after about a year of that my tolerance started accelerating out of my control.

If you use consistently for a long enough time your tolerance will increase no matter what. You might want to consider taking every other month, or even every couple months, off where you only use the pills for pain and either store the extra or toss them if you can't control yourself having extra pills around the house.

Tolerance is a bitch, right now i'm at a 25-35grams of kratom a day habit just to get me well. It's not fun but i'm sure you realize this. Good luck

Hi "falsified", thanks for the quick response! From what you're saying, it sounds as if dosing for pain relief will intrinsically raise tolerance, as it entails multiple daily usage. Is that correct? FWIW, I agree 100% that attempting to increase a buzz by taking a second dose is worthless. Do you think I could successfully obtain adequate pain relief by taking a lesser amount of pain pill, but supplementing it at the same time with an NSAID such as naproxen? I find that otc pain relievers tend not to cut it, but does usage with stronger stuff make the otc medication more effective? Good luck w/ the kratom. I've never used it and doubt that I ever will. (And good luck to you, too.)

Last edited:
If you are using just enough to kill your pain and you don't need them everyday, which it seems like you don't since you have enough left over to have a little fun, then you shouldn't see a huge increase in tolerance. I can't stress tolerance breaks enough, and you seem to already know that redosing to chase a high is: A.) Ineffective B.) Jacks up tolerance

OTC meds like ibuprofen combined with opiates are supposed to be very effective for pain. If you can take less opiate and supplement with OTC meds while still adequatly controlling your pain then that would be the way to go in the long run. You just have to watch your intake of the OTC meds because most of them are harmful to the stomach/liver in high daily doses.

You will inevitably see a tolerance growth, however slight, all you can do is try to slow the growth as much as possible.

Thanks, good luck to you as well.

I have chronic pains.I used subu and when it didnt help,even at large doses ,i used to take one 1000mg paracetamol pill or 500mg naproxen.Pains vanished or dropped to tolerable lvl.
When i stopped subu,pains are tolerable or gone..Subu made my pains much harder for some reason.Now i take only otc meds and they are enough.

As an aside on OTC meds, naproxen (Aleve in the States) is nice, as it can be used at the SAME time as a pain pill that also has ibuprofen or APAP. That's because a different function of the liver processes it, so there's no overlap w/ the other OTCs. Alcohol drinkers risk even sudden death if they're also using NSAIDs, so research the matter and show due caution. An important thing to know is that the liver problems can arise even if you're NOT drinking at that time. I know a lot of people aren't fans of naproxen- they claim it doesn't work for them- but I wonder if this isn't psychological, as most of us have far more experience w/ ibuprofen and APAP. That said, of the three OTCs I've mentioned, I prefer APAP.

meloxicam and pain pills in general

ever read the side-effects of all that stuff ?! (i take meloxicam for artritis, have fear to take them) -and no alcohol -extra dangerous stuff; party drug, please don't