• 🇺🇸󠁿 🇧🇷 🇨🇦 🇦🇷 🇲🇽 🇹🇹 🇨🇺
    The Americas
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • NSADD Moderators: deficiT | Jen

Misc How Much Does Insulin Cost in the U.S.?

ChemicallyEnhanced

Bluelighter
I live in the UK so my insulin is free, but I've heard of it costing INSANE amounts in the U.S. How much does it cost on average, like per week or per month?
What happens if you can't afford it? Do you just...die?
That must be so scary!

I live in the UK so my insulin is free, but I've heard of it costing INSANE amounts in the U.S. How much does it cost on average, like per week or per month?
it depends on what type of insurance you have. If you have average insurance expect to pay at least a few hundred $ per month. Not including the cost of insurance... which is often also a few hundred $ per month itself.

without insurance... might as well just die... not financially feasible... many thousands of $ per month

that's definitely possible and happens all the time :/

There are ways to get get help paying for it, medicaid for example, (if you even qualify) it often takes 60 days to be accepted.

Often it boils down to people choosing to pay rent/food or buying insulin.

You can always go to a hospital, they can't refuse treatment even if you have no money to pay. But that's about $2000 just walking in the door... even if you left untreated.

it depends on what type of insurance you have. If you have average insurance expect to pay at least a few hundred $ per month. Not including the cost of insurance... which is often also a few hundred $ per month itself.

without insurance... might as well just die... not financially feasible... many thousands of $ per month

There are ways to get get help paying for it, medicaid for example, (if you even qualify) it often takes 60 days to be accepted.

You can always go to a hospital, they can't refuse treatment even if you have no money to pay. But that's about $2000 just walking in the door... even if you left untreated.
Wasn't there an attempt to reduce insulin costs?

Wasn't there an attempt to reduce insulin costs?
Trump had an executive order about capping insulin but it was stopped from going into effect.

The current bill on capitol hill proposes insurance companies cover everything above $35 for insured people, it doesn't actually change what manufacturers charge for insulin.

One of the most fucked up things I have ever heard! ALL life-saving medication should always be free.

I'd imagine the MAJORITY of insulin-dependent diabetic just die then? Who can afford multiple thousands a month?

One of the most fucked up things I have ever heard! ALL life-saving medication should always be free.

I'd imagine the MAJORITY of insulin-dependent diabetic just die then? Who can afford multiple thousands a month?
Most people do have some form of insurance. People do die from trying to ration insulin because they can afford it, but not that many.

it's more about the financial disaster/perpetual debt people find themselves in

I'm diabetic needing insulin and have thought about people in America who can't afford it. I saw something on TV where the person was getting it from Canada on the black market.

I get way more insulin than I need 😐 I'd *give* it to people (and you can donate it to needy countries via the diabetes educators).

The American health care system is so strange to me. Australia's has gone downhill a lot in 20 years, but it's still pretty good.

Most people do have some form of insurance. People do die from trying to ration insulin because they can afford it, but not that many.

Even unemployed people?

I'm diabetic needing insulin and have thought about people in America who can't afford it. I saw something on TV where the person was getting it from Canada on the black market.

I get way more insulin than I need 😐 I'd *give* it to people (and you can donate it to needy countries via the diabetes educators).

The American health care system is so strange to me. Australia's has gone downhill a lot in 20 years, but it's still pretty good.

Even unemployed people?

I'm actually REALLY glad you told me this. I don't take my insulin* and would be more than happy to donate it to someone in the US who cannot afford it (for free, of course).

*my diabetes is a rare kind. I don't have type 1 or type 2. I got acute pancreatitis to due combined bulimia/alcoholism and 95% of my pancreas was destroyed. I really SHOULD take the insulin - especially as I have already developed severe pain in my legs from diabetic neuropathy - but it's so hard when you have an ED history and I've dropped from 130lbs to 115lbs in a few months while eating whatever I want (I should really have gained like 20lbs). So my pancreas does produce SOME insulin, not far less than needed.

Even unemployed people?

I literally JUST bought Thus Spoke Zarathustra yesterday lol. What did you think of it?

I’m a type one diabetic. Have been my whole life. I don’t pay anything for my insulin because thankfully I have insurance but if I had to pay out of pocket I would be spending around $3,221 per month. I take two different insulins. A short acting and a long acting

I think in UK you dont even have to pay the prescription charge because diabetics get free prescriptions

I’m a type one diabetic. Have been my whole life. I don’t pay anything for my insulin because thankfully I have insurance but if I had to pay out of pocket I would be spending around $3,221 per month. I take two different insulins. A short acting and a long acting
Isn't there a difference in insurance coverage between type 1 and type 2 due to one being a preventable disease?

maybe I'm wrong

Isn't there a difference in insurance coverage between type 1 and type 2 due to one being a preventable disease?

maybe I'm wrong
That I honestly don’t know. That might be something that’s insurance company based? I was born with type 1 so I’ve never really considered that aspect. It would make sense if there was tho

That must be so scary!
I am a type 1 diabetic in the US. The price of insulin is insane. I have been without health insurance more times than comfortable in my diabetic life. When insulin was $600 a bottle for kind I use. It was like starve and maybe survive but blood sugar would be crazy. I would wind up in hospital for weeks on end.

I am a type 1 diabetic in the US. The price of insulin is insane. I have been without health insurance more times than comfortable in my diabetic life. When insulin was $600 a bottle for kind I use. It was like starve and maybe survive but blood sugar would be crazy. I would wind up in hospital for weeks on end.
I'm assuming you're not an older American. Biden capped it at 35$/mo for Medicare patients in the Inflation Reduction Act. It originally was for all Americans, but the Repugs in Congress changed it to older folks only.