• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

How much can wax/shatter vary in potency or quality? Are there any CRAPPY concentrates?

eBagger

Bluelighter
I found someone selling at a pretty discounted rate, and I'm considering going with them. I'm pretty satisfied with the shatter I've been getting for the price but if I can get almost twice as much I think I'm going to go for it. I don't have much experience with concentrates except when a buddy of mine had a connect a few years ago and I got it pretty cheap for a few months. Other than that I've only bought a type of shatter from a single source a few times. Its not amazingly potent but it's good for the price, and only takes a couple hits to get me where I want. I'm wondering though, at the concentrate level, how much can the quality vary? Like there isn't much shatter out there thats total shit is it? Like if it makes it to shatter form, and it was done somewhat correctly, it should be pretty damn potent. Get what I'm saying? It'd be like low quality everclear.....it might taste like crap and have some chemical aftermath but still should be potent.

I guess what I'm asking is there isn't some budget shatter that is like so shitty you have to smoke a gram of it to get high or something is there? Like even kinda crappy shatter is still pretty damn potent because just the nature of that form a rice sized piece is going to have high THC %. I guess thats why I'm asking Im not too sure the science behind it.

The shatter I've been getting has been awesome, been keeping my blood pressure low, and its reasonably priced. I'm about to run out and I'm having a tough time deciding to stick with what I know, or possibly getting a ton more bang for my buck.

I had bad shatter once but that was a shitty strain i think is all. But as it's legal here now all shatter has to pass certain quality controls. If your in a place where it's illegal though i would be wary of super cheap shatter

i made ISO shatter that looked just like dispensary shatter. i used buds that i grew that i didn't think were that potent and the shatter kind of reflected that.

i made ISO shatter that looked just like dispensary shatter. i used buds that i grew that i didn't think were that potent and the shatter kind of reflected that.
Interesting....yeah I don't know how to describe the Shatter I have now. Like sometimes I feel its potent, and sometimes a couple hits feels like enough, and sometimes it feels like I hit a ceiling, dunno if its related to other meds or the shatter. It feels similar to how you described though, its potent in regards to my original paragraph like, its shatter its gonna kinda be potent, but for a concentrate its on the lower to middle end of the spectrum. Like I've tried some shit that fucking blasts your face with one big hit and this ain't that. I mean, I paid just under $5 a gram, and I'm not in a legal state, so I'm happy with that. This new prospect I'm looking at has it at around $3 a gram, but I have to buy like twice as much, which is no problem I'm hoping for it to last me a while. Kind of a big decision though considering its half for medical reasons and I'd like it to last as long as possible, and I've got less than a gram of shatter left so that's like...a couple days if I'm rationing my hits

You noticed that you get slightly different coloured final cannabinoid extract (I don't mean the deep green usig isopropanol etc, that also dissolves chlorophylls. (Chlorophyll tastes less than pleasant and gunks up the heater coil) . Any alkane works great, as long as the b.p. isn't too high. C4 - C8 alkanes seem to be the best

If it's made from plant trimmings it can be pretty weak (usually a darker green color). Generally shatter should always be potent otherwise, but I've had plant trimming dabs that although were weak were definitely more potent than your average bud, so it wasn't a waste. That had come from blue shark which already wasn't that high in THC, 8% THC 8% CBD.

THC crystals though... damn, those are strong. I had some of these recently, 95% THC, they can get up to 99% and just the tiniest dab fucked me up so aggressively hard. If you want the highest quality concentrate I think crystal will always win.

There is definitely wide variation of quality, but usually it's more like taste/consistency. Most concentrates are decently potent. Biggest concern imo is if they were extracting moldy cannabis.

But yeah I work in cannabis extraction, and as we say in the industry, poo in poo out meaning if you start with a low quality input you get a low quality output. I've literally seen mountains of hemp basically go to compost because it wasn't worth extracting.

Interesting, yeah I guess it can differ some. The THCa crystals do feel a lot more, and taste a lot more like just flower. So the dab I last took was kind of like facing a half gram joint of some 35% weed or something. The high is just different, I feel flower highs are a lot more deep insightful type of thinking at times but distillate is what I prefer to use in my own time because it's always been more consistent and has a much more soothing body high.

Best thing about concentrates ime was that, even after many years of constant smoking bud and traditional hash very potent concentrates get me stoned as or more than regular weed when I just started smoking. Prior to smoking good concentrates only thing that aproached them (and was better smell & taste wise than most concentrates) is Indian charas. After some time smoking them I ended up smoking them almost as much as I would some pretty potent weed. So sometimes when I would roll a joint that I could smoke alone would literally knock out or freak out people after a few hits.

Last timed I smoked some concentrate I had pretty low tolerance and hit some out of friends bong and actually blacked out for a few moments.

Still one of best things about concentrates for me is that you can prepare a good edible in a matter of minutes. Put some shatter into butter, stir, add chocolate, melt it, add cinnamon or other spice you like than full-fat milk and voila. It’s also perfect for making meals with cheese fast or for just about any food with enough fat. It can be used to make tasty cocktails too if you don’t mind combo with a bit of booze.

But as for OPs question, there are shitty concentrates as if shitty tasting/smelling weed is used to make them, you don’t end up magically with tasty shatter or whatever.

there is definitely shitty concentrate out there, but the majority should be at least more potent than the most potent flower.

if you buy a large amount, you can easily refine it using high proof ethanol (like for instance 95% everclear)... the process i'm referring to is called "winterization".

In terms of potency yes, but oddly enough when I dab pure THCA crystals, I dont get as high than i do with a more full spectrum cannabinoid profile. I find even distillate to be more potent.
i also find that, depending on the exactitudinals, a mix of cannabinoids (cbt is great for lengthening an edible high) and terps makes for a better high.

i also find that, depending on the exactitudinals, a mix of cannabinoids (cbt is great for lengthening an edible high) and terps makes for a better high.
Which cbt?

I've never detected CBT (cannabitriol). I've seen as much as 17% CBTN (cannabicitran) in the reduced solvent after CBD crystallization/isolatiom.

shit, i thunk i mean CBC, not cbt. cannabichromene.

it comes in a syringe, is very runny and kinda tastes citrusy.

CBC felt great to me, body-wise

Like it opened up the lungs and other related stuff

Great taste/feel smoking with it

My experience with lower end non shatters (think waxes and badders) is that they are SUPER fatty/waxy and make me cough up a lung. I always prefer defatted concentrates for that reason but if you're extracting from shitty trim or super low quality or old flower you'll lose a lot of weight by defatting. People will sell those fatty extracts on the cheap.

Shatters could be made cheaply by using mass produced outdoor flower or outdoor trim. Lower terps but there are slightly less terps in shatter from my experience anyhow