• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Harm Reduction How many IV or subcutaneous users regularly use an alcohol swab to clean potential injection sites pre injection?

Do you sterilize injection sites with alcohol prior to use?

• Yes, every time

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Yes, almost every time

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Sometimes

• I’d like to but usually don’t

• Not high on my values

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Never really

• Total voters

neversickanymore

Moderator: DS
Staff member
Just curious as to what percentage of injection users use alcohol to cleanse injection sites prior to use?

Why do you or not attempt to sterilize injections?

Last edited:
I get clean kits from an injection site and always use alcohol to clean the area.
I'm being stupid iv'ing so I try to negate any more problems.

I never really did. I didn't inject often, especially when I ran out of veins but it'd be a combination of reusing (my own) syringes and having no swab or being somewhere public to take a shot and trying to do it ASAP, not really thinking about swabbing the site. It was mostly the former though. I might light the actual needle with a lighter or something but I'd be too focused on trying to find a vein that I wouldn't give a shit about swabbing the site. I did quite often wash the site in a sink with antibacterial soap.

I never got an infection at a site that I know of and caused way more damage by missing veins and also using lemon juice to shoot. Had small blood clots as well which go away after a while. My habit had always been on and off as well so I'd have sporadic lapses into using and would start with smoking, try shooting because I wanted a better buzz and then I'd stop, going back onto an ORT. Reusing the same syringes too was damaging as the ones I always got are meant for single use and having them wrapped up in the packet they came in in a coat pocket surely didn't help, nor the fact that they eventually become blunt etc.

I've never shared and have had plenty of blood tests since I stopped. I'd be interested in knowing the efficacy of swabbing before injecting given that I've never had an infection or anything as a result of not swabbing. Actual use would mostly be a now and then thing anyway but could sometimes lead to a habit, though not always. In an active habit (I'd say two weeks and more of daily use), I'd be more likely to smoke due to the simple fact of not wanting to waste to waste gear - missing a shot when you're sick or getting sick is incredibly frustrating to say the least, especially if you've been waiting 2 hours for your shit.

Now that I think back, I would normally use those swabs after a shot. Dunno why. Seemed cleaner to me but I am weird about hygiene (over the top hygienic about most things but this goes out of the window by and large when you have a habit as anyone who has had one will likely tell you).

Last edited:
It's funny, when I'm injecting my TRT dose, I always swab the site, can say the same for ketamine, but almost any other instance if I'm IVing something I shouldn't be, it's like my brain is saying, you're already fucking up, just get it over with. So I typically don't swab then, the time when it would seem most needed lol.

Brains are weird. 🫤

This forum is where I got my information for safe IV use so thanks everyone who made and contributed to that thread

Yes. Well after getting cotton fever once.

I no longer have access to anything worth putting in a needle since about 14' when the fent crashed in to every batch.

oh wow not a good comprehensive reader, never done subcutaneous or seen the point.

Last edited: