• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

How many hours are in a semester or a year for most vocational programs

curiosity

Bluelighter
So i'm looking at going into carpentry and i'd like to know how many semesters/years it will take but it only tells me that the course is 1350 hours it doesn't say how many semesters or years that comes out to, if it helps i'm from quebec, canada. Help is greatly appreciated :)

Call or email the school and ask them how many hours per week they are expecting you to attend classes. It may just be a nine month certificate but the people at the school can answer any questions you have.

for carpentry, 2 years at most schools but you have to do other stuff as well, like writing journals or some shit, i'm not in the trades but technology so i'm not 100% sure. You'll be looking at at least 20 hours per week plus whatever you have to work on outside of school.

1350 hours should be about 2 years but that may also include the other stuff you have to do in the trades world that i'm not aware of outside of school, like apprenticeship or work terms or whatever. it's a really high demand trade right now in my area, 2 year waiting list to even get into a program.

Last edited:
Usually, it's by hours because each class is x amt of hours. So you might have the option of taking classes when you can. Vocational schools are usually two years F/T (which is usually 20 hours each week) but you probably will have the option of taking more or less.

Alright thanks for all the help :) and the apprenticeship is after you get your certification here from my knowledge.