• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin How many consecutive days of heroin use until you are dependent?

Kyleeatsbelew

Greenlighter
Im just curious im not planning on playing with fire but how many days of heroin use until you are physically dependent? I know it varies from person to person but would like to hear peoples opinions.

The variation is too great to even give you a 'ballpark' figure. Some people are naturally susceptible, others are more resistant. Regardless of how many days of consecutive use you have under your belt, as soon as you think it isn't working any more, that is the time too stop. Unfortunately, by the time you get to that stage it's already too late.

NOTHING grabs you by the balls worse than heroin.

Different for everyone but 10-14 days use and you will have physical withdrawal symptoms, 5=7 days and you will have mental symptoms. This is a rougue guide and people have symptoms sooner or later.

A full blown addiction takes a few months to an year to develop, the first withdrawal isn't that bad, that's to get physically dependent. Psychologically you could get dependent from day one, like fubar said, it varies a lot from person to person

i doubt people often use and don’t use cleanly enough to measure. past use is a huge factor. and use is often inconsistent. i’ve never used opiates daily for any significant amount of time (like people saying they’ve been on dope for x years), but i’ve used them enough over the past 15+ years that a week of consistent use is now enough to make me a little sick. fuck, if i’ve been using a bit in the preceding months even a couple of consecutive days is enough. way back when, i could have used a month straight without being dope sick. and maybe did a few times.

As others have said it varies greatly by individual.

But perhaps the more important point is that physical dependence is not even the thing to be scared of. What you need to worry about is psychological cravings, as this is what leads you into addiction.

Physical dependence is really just an inconvenience in the grand scheme of things. The psychological side of addiction, cravings, etc is what does you the real harm and this often take a long time to go away if it ever does fully disappear at all.

You ask anyone who has been clean from H for years, most of them will tell you they still struggle with cravings. That's the real monster you have to beat right there.

My advice stay away from smack. Nothing good can come of it. Either you will be one of those who just doesn't like it, in which case you get no high from it, or you do end up liking it and become at risk of cravings and a psychological addiction. Either way what have you gained? Nothing!

If the question is how many days of consecutive use results in withdrawal when it is discontinued, its largely a function of whether or not you've had a opioid addiction in the past.

For someone like me, who has been through opioid withdrawal quite a few times, 3 days of consecutive use will result in some withdrawal symptoms. I think if any opioid naive individual uses heroin for two weeks and stops, they will feel at the very least some sort of withdrawal (the extent to which would be the result of individual physiology).

Im just curious im not planning on playing with fire but how many days of heroin use until you are physically dependent? I know it varies from person to person but would like to hear peoples opinions.
this is a very subjective question, for some people it takes a week to get dependant, for some 5 days. For some even just 2-3 days can give them wds. In the worst case scenario just one use can give you wds. It all depends on past use, tolerance, freq of use, etc. It's because of the kindling effect that these types of things happen.(you wanna look up the kindling effect on Wikipedia for more info).Anyway it depends on the subject, for me just like 3-5 days can give me nasty wds but ive been using for 7 years on-off. Hope this info has helped u a bit. Stay safe NZN

Onset of opioid discontinuation symptoms can happen within 7-14 days of use. @negrogesic makes a good point. Consider your history with addiction as a whole as well. If you have addictive tendencies, you might become mentally dependent on it much faster than the average user. This could lead to you doing. Higher doses and which will lead you to physical dependency faster than others.

For me, when it came to heroin, psychologically, one dosage.

Physically, it will take probably like 5 days for me. For someone who didn't metaphorically ruin themselves with opiates like I did you can probably go 1-2, maybe 3 weeks but at that point you WILL get physically dependent or it will "start". It is best to TOTALLY AVOID THIS PROCESS FROM EVER, EVER, EVER happening if you can avoid it.

Assuming no previous opiate history, serious physical dependence often takes months to years - depending on usage and individual differences.

But you can become seriously addicted extremely quick.

Some people chip or occasionally binge for years before becoming addicted. Others simply never stop right after their first time.

Only true thing is heroin addicts all knew it's reputation before their first time.

Assuming no previous opiate history, serious physical dependence often takes months to years - depending on usage and individual differences.

But you can become seriously addicted extremely quick.

Some people chip or occasionally binge for years before becoming addicted. Others simply never stop right after their first time.

Only true thing is heroin addicts all knew it's reputation before their first time.
Man I was hooked from the very first dose when I tried oxy the first time in 2012, I was mentally hooked and in just a couple of weeks using intermittently I started having mild withdrawals. By the 3rd month i was using everyday and I quit cold turkey that time bcz I didn't know about comfort meds. Took me 2 months to feel "normal again".

Not sure. 3 days to 3 weeks sounds almost believable. a speed habit is theoretically too good to be true, but redosing never gives you that sanctity of saying bon voyage yet hello presto to the here & now. hence why I had to be strict with myself, when product was abundant. I didn't even think to go to town. I was limited by my means, but I was happy. Not to say it didn't come at the expense of going to travel the world. that's on the backburner for now. i'd have rathered some new sights as opposed to my dealer's pad and my 4 walls. Not including the living room!

As others have said it varies greatly by individual.

But perhaps the more important point is that physical dependence is not even the thing to be scared of. What you need to worry about is psychological cravings, as this is what leads you into addiction.

Physical dependence is really just an inconvenience in the grand scheme of things. The psychological side of addiction, cravings, etc is what does you the real harm and this often take a long time to go away if it ever does fully disappear at all.

You ask anyone who has been clean from H for years, most of them will tell you they still struggle with cravings. That's the real monster you have to beat right there.

That is so true. It always bugs me how straight people see films like trainspotting and think physical WDs are the reason gear is so hard to quit.

Withdrawals are a finite sickness so you know at some point it will go away. Whereas psychological addiction is basically permanent, it does get much much better over time but much more slowly and over a much longer period than phys. WDs and cravings may never go away completely (even if they do become easy to resist).

IME and by my observations if you haven't been dependent before it will take a few months of daily use to get WDs to the point where it's severe enough to be undeniably sure that what you're experiencing is opioid WD. Less than that and you may feel a bit shitty but not so much that you feel sure it's WD and not just fatigue etc.

Of course this does vary and I have heard of people becoming dependent in a week or two but generally a new user will require longer.

But oh boy, when you have an extensive history of opioid dependence those numbers go out the window. You really do re establish dependence so so so much faster.

Personally I was prescribed opiates for years before I became dependent.. I would bosh my script in a week and have no more until the next month... It took nearly 4 years of this before I experienced WDs...

But for sure every consecutive withdrawal gets worse and worse until you realise...... Your fucked.......

Yeah for me my use escalated over time very slowly. For 18-24 months I was using every other day and generally felt okay on my days off.

But eventually I moved to everyday use and obviously became fully dependent then.

These days if I tried to withdraw cold turkey I think I'd be too sick to even crawl to the toilet.

But I have no intention of withdrawing at this point in my life, back before I started opiates around 17 I was severely depressed/anxious and once I realized opioids worked far better than any of the legal treatments (which didn't really work at all) there was no going back.

Unfortunately the logistics of maintaining an unsanctioned opioid addiction in our society made a whole lot of problems for me.

Starting Suboxone when i was 22 and subsequently moving to Methadone a few years later was a game changer for me, It has allowed me to focus on my therapy instead of sourcing a dose every day and now at the start of this year at age 28 I have started working part time for the first time in 10 years.

But yeah as long as the methadone continues to work I'm not going to push my luck trying to come off it.

Although I do wish my govt. would open up more alternative opioids for maintenance treatment as methadone does have a few problems

Last edited: