• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

How long will methadone stay in my system really?

Bluesean

Greenlighter
I know there is a silly rule about drug testings questions but it doesn't apply to my question. I am actually wanting the methadone to stay in my system because I am required to test positive for opiates.
If I took 60 mg yesterday (tuesday) then will it be in my system still the following tuesday? I'm just hoping I don't have to spend my food $ on getting more to ensure I have it in my system.
When I look it up I get mixed results with the majority saying 3-5 days. That sounds a little too quick to me.

methadone elimination half life is 8 to 59 hours...i honestly say maybe 36 hrs
so that means 36 hrs after you took your last dose you have 50% of the done in your system another 36 hrs itll drop again again by 50%
there is no real time frame as we all metabolize meds differently some quicker than others
but do the math

Last edited:
It also depends on whether or not you normally dose daily or if it's a one time or occasional thing

If you dose daily (what they refer to as chronic methadone levels), then the actual plasma level after taking dose is about double of what the dose is due to half lives that build up. So if you are on 50 mg, the built up level is about 100 mg. So if you are a chronic methadone user, you would calculate from about double your dose minus half lives to see what is still remaining after a week

If it was a one time dose you are far less likely to have it in your system in a week

And truly, a week is pushing it for either, because normally with half lives it takes about 7 days for methadone to be close to out, assuming average half life being around 24 hours. (The dependency of methadone half life on body's pH is also a factor)

If you want to be safe, I would take methadone no more than 3 days out. Closer is fine. 4 or 5 days is most likely fine. A week is pushing it unless you have very high chronic methadone levels.

Crazy diamond I replied to your post under subutext and fent. I posted one more question I need an answer too