• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos How long until Xanax tolerance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clintk

Greenlighter
Ok it is about Xanax XR

Ive never taken anything outside of weed and alcohol

but now have been getting Xanax XR

My question or fear is this , if I take a half mg everyday

how long will it take before it stops working and I need more to be effective

and also , what if I skip a day and only take it every other day so basically only

2 mg a week of Xanax xr ...... it should keep working just fine without needing more correct ?

This is important because not only does it help anxiety I also have facial nerve damage

and it quiets it down substantially.... but I don’t want it to stop working

please if anyone knows , as long as I stick religiously to that no more than 2 total mg a week

regimen that I should be fine in the long turn without having to really take more for relief

Thanks for any input you have as this is crucial to my life right now

... Half mg of Xanax Xr is such a low dose, like 0.25 except delayed onset and extended release.
Honestly, if that helps, you could take that dose everyday and it shouldn't lose effectiveness for what you are describing.

Certainly skipping days would almost ensure this, though do not necessarily skip pout of fear; benzodiazepines should not be taken lightly, however if you're afraid to take them to begin with, what's the point?

Benzodiazepines(or being prescribed them) are now causing anxiety, it seems

^Oh don't drink everyday/all the time. If you don't drink often, you may be a lucky person who can take a low dose of a potent benzodiazepine(albeit in CR form( and get maintained relief from pretty much daily use

No one can predict the future, though do not create a problem that does not exist at this point and may not become much of one

^Oh don't drink everyday/all the time. If you don't drink often, you may be a lucky person who can take a low dose of a potent benzodiazepine(albeit in CR form( and get maintained relief from pretty much daily use

No one can predict the future, though do not create a problem that does not exist at this point and may not become much of one

Thanks for answering
so not drinking alcohol helps my chances , then I certainly won’t
I have nerve damage from broken jaw that makes my lip hurt and feel tight and miserable
the xanax really helps quiet the bad sensations the nerve sends off
but I just don’t want it to stop working so that’s why I’m nervous

but you think 2 msg a week shouldn’t make me have to up my amount to get relief , even a year from now ?

if anyone else has any insight as well I’d be very appreciative of it

and I understand no one has a crystal ball but you all have a wealth more of knowledge than I do

Thanks again

Benzo tolerance goes up pretty fast. And it depends on what it is you feel you need it for.

Really, if there's any other therapy for your condition, consider that first. \

At the same time, people are prescribed doses like that every night just to fall asleep, and do that for years.

Honestly, you sound pretty anxious about your anti-anxiety medication. What you have now might not be the best option.

EDIT missed post: you may have more of an underlying anxiety issue than nerve pain, and there's a pretty big range of options for that.
But there's no telling how long this dose will work. Probably a while at the doses you mention

Double Edit: changed your title OP

Last edited:
Another option you might consider is rotating meds to keep them more effective. While many gabaergics can be cross tolerant to a degree, it's still a worthwhile idea and was used in pain management quite a bit before the opi crisis. You might consider speaking to your doctor about gabapentin/ pregabalin to be used interchangeably with your alprazolam. Things like baclofen, carisopradol or diazepam might be worth investigating also.

Thanks for answering so not drinking alcohol helps my chances , then I certainly won’t I have nerve damage from broken jaw that makes my lip hurt and feel tight and miserable the xanax really helps quiet the bad sensations the nerve sends off but I just don’t want it to stop working so that’s why I’m nervous but you think 2 msg a week shouldn’t make me have to up my amount to get relief , even a year from now ? if anyone else has any insight as well I’d be very appreciative of it and I understand no one has a crystal ball but you all have a wealth more of knowledge than I do Thanks again
This is a great thread. OP, if you want things to stay effective (you do) the first thing I would do is cut down or nix the alcohol. Alcohol does more bad then good. Don't read up on peoples subjective horror stories about benzodiazepines. Here is a quick IMO suggestion. Take your Xanax as prescribed. If it says PRN / as needed, then take it that way. Xanax is very powerful. That is why your dose will work fine. If you can handle it, do as others have suggested already and take a break here and there. There are also supplements you can take will help keep your tolerance in check. Your doctor is bright by starting you low. Your dose will run in the background and relax what needs relaxing without wiping you out. If a time arises when it isn't effective or whatever, be straight up with your doctor. Afa the rotating medicines go, that is a great idea. Shit, explain how subunits work to your doctor if needed. All in all, your goal is an effective sweet spot. Lastly, don't get emotionally attached to this medicine. Thats where people mess up. Treat it as a tool that has a job and it will work well for you. Take as prescribed and don't worry about tolerance. You will be fine.

Thanks so much for the answers

What would be some of the supplements that would help keep my tolerance in check

and for the love of everything impossible to understand in this world help me understand why this drug works

so good for me , when no pain relievers or anything else does

someone sucker punched me and broke my jaw so bad 15 months ago it ruined the nerve that

gives you sensation to the left side of your lip and chin , aka the inferior alveolar nerve

so my lip feels tight and pinchlike with movement and my jaw and tissues are tight and feel raw

it has gotten a little better over the months but it’s permanent for the most part

and somehow when I even take a half mg of time released xanax not only does it make my lip with

movement feel better (which is so much more glorious than you could ever imagine) but it also

makes my scar tisssue, muscle from where it broke and had surgery on bone,jaw and in my mouth feel better

incredible it works so good ...I’m baffled out of all things it’s xanax that helps

and the reason for this thread is I always want the xanax to be effective and am willing to

moderatively struggle on certain days without taking it if that will help my chances at not needing

a bigger dose for it to be effective . I won’t drink a sip of alcohol ever again if that will help

and I’m wondering what those supplements you mentioned that would help would be . sorry for

rambling but this gives me hope

Here is the end all guide to supplements, but finding other meds to rotate in might be your best bet with keeping the alprazolam efficacy high. The breaks between use are also a good idea but some gabapentin or something won't increase your tolerance through cross reactivity, but still might help enough to put more time between alpraz use.

https://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/817897-How-To-Repair-Your-Body-Mind-Soul-A-Guide

Anyone think I could do the 2 gram a week thing for 2 years and still have the same effect ?

If you take it everyday it will slowly stop working to its best after two months.

I was klonopin for seven years and the first year was great but after that I started to go into tolerance withdrawals

The nightmares began and soon I found myself wishing I never got in it. God is still giving me a chance to change.

Anyone think I could do the 2 gram a week thing for 2 years and still have the same effect ?

By which you mean 2 milligrams of alprazolam/Xanax, daily, for two years?

Well, is the 2mg divided or single? Also, what effects are we talking about? Oh, wait, we already went through that exact question of mine.

OP, no, tolerance to benzos happens pretty fast, so a single dose per day will gradually "feel" less anything. After like one week. But it may still be effective at certain things, I think we, or at least I, decided benzos aren't the best for whatever your ailments were.

No , I mean a half mg every other day

So .5 then skip a day,

basically taking .5 ,four times a week , so 2mg total for the whole week

you would think this would work forever ....... 2mg , some people,take 6 a day

so me totalling 2mg a week should continue working if skipping a day and taking such low amount anyways

I hope I’m right here , it helps my jaw damage and nerve damage so much

Status
Not open for further replies.