• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids How long until I completely lose my opiate tolerance?

morphine-dreams

Bluelighter
I've been physically dependent on opiates on and off for about 4 months, totally happened accidentally too. Binged on kratom extract for 3 days and boom, withdrawals. I was using regular kratom before that but definitely was not addicted. I still would like to use recreationally because I honestly don't even like using opiates every day, my tolerance goes up so fast and I hate all the other problems that come with daily use, so I'm not too worried about getting psychologically addicted. It's just that ever since I fucked up that first time, I always go into withdrawal whenever I'd try to use recreationally (usually after 2 weeks clean, sometimes as long as a month), and I every rapidly climb up to my previous tolerance, hence on and off addiction. I also used poppyseed tea from time to time, apparently too often, because I was definitely getting withdrawals from that too. I'd love to use just from time to time, but how long should I stay clean before I can do so?

A long time bro, cant say exactly how long but I'd assume at least a few months and even then its unlikely you will ever experience zero WD, at my very best point I had 3 months clean and still experienced minor WD after using again and I am someone who has always made a conscious effort to use sporadically enough that I've never suffered from 'true' WD. Oh and btw I wont be the first to say this but yeah you say all that now, but addiction creeps up on you like a bitch and it sounds like it already started my friend. Stay Safe.

CD

It's probably not the answer u want, but maybe u should try seeing how long u can quit for.

If youre tolerance really goes up as quick as u say it does, maybe it means u should just "quit while youre ahead".

But if you decide to keep using kratom recreationally, I would suggest try keeping it to like every other weekend. Just be careful, even kratom can send u down a slippery slope. Have fun tho just my .02 cents

Thanks for all the replies. Yeah, not really what I wanted to hear, but it's good to know so I can stay out of the cycle I've already been in. Right now I was thinking 6 months without any opiates. The reason I trust myself is because I have a bag of poppy seeds and a lot of kratom tincture and though I do get mild cravings, I haven't even seriously thought about using either, so I'm not too worried. Physical addiction, on the other hand, seems to be a huge issue for me :( I guess the plan is to stay clean for a long time, but I have a surgery coming up and don't want the pain meds to send me into withdrawal again.

The weird thing is, I've gotten a 3 week oxy script years ago, something close to 80mg a day (and a few days of IV morphine-was for a nasty injury though) and had no problems at all when it ran out. 3 days of the extract/fortified varieties of kratom and I'm fucked. I know poppy seed tea can be crazy addictive physically and that definitely didn't help, but is it possible that I could sporadically use oxycodone again since it didn't cause issues in the past? Or will I most likely build up a rapid tolerance to any opiates now?

By the way you're typing and how much you think about it , there's no way you'll go 6 months without it. To go 6 months without it you gotta almost completely forget about opiates period which contradicts the idea of taking a 6 month break which is the catch 22 . Sounds like u addicted mentally for sure , you're gonna keep playing with it unless you stop completely you aren't the type to play around you think too much about it

Usually once you have experienced withdrawal you will always be more susceptible to feeling it fast. I had 9 years completely clean and used Vicodin a few days in a row and felt a little icky. If I use h, I cannot use more than 2 consecutive days without getting physical wd, and even using 2 days back to back leaves me a little icky the following morning.

It's a progressive thing, dependence is. Even if you stay off for 6 months and use a few days you probably will feel bad--scale depending of course in what you use and how much

When I started using h I didn't get any wd for months. But once your body makes those changes in the brain to where you do feel wd, well unfortunate you never go back to the beginning. Or as someone said--if you get a new body.

I know that's not what you want to hear but better you know. I didn't believe there was anyway I would be dopesick after 3 days....until I was

I definitely do think too much, but I think too much about everything lol

The thing is, I absolutely do not want to be a daily user. When I went on a 2 week binge (which was to stop the poppyseed tea wd's because I couldn't deal with the GI issues) , I was so sick of constantly having to re-dose simply to avoid wd's by the end of it that I detoxed as soon as I had the time. I've been using pills recreationally on special occasions for years before this. I really hope that one day I can go back to using sporadically, but I guess only time will tell :/

Thanks crzydiamond- I guess I had it coming. Definitely not what I wanted to hear but still much better knowing than not.

How often where you re-dosing on PST? I mean I have 8 years of opiate addiction starting when I was 13, now I pretty much survive off poppy pod tea and I dont need to redose more often than once every 24hrs. I guess my point is if you where frequently re-dosing on PST that would hint to mental addiction?

I'm not trying to be a dick btw, I seriously do hope your one of the lucky ones.

Quick question, which is better, poppy seed tea or kratom?is kratom extract that much better than plain leaf?

As far as tolerance goes, once u build it, it's impossible to get it back to where it was before.well, if u took a6 month break and then started using again, the first few days would feel nice but tolerance will build so rapidly that the 6 month break is almost pointless..

Codeine Demon- I used it no more than twice a week, for maybe 3 weeks total. I've only had it 5-6 times total, but I was coming off a kratom addiction. The withdrawal from the tea was actually very mild just long as hell and the only thing that really sucked about it was the sudden diarrhea. Hence why I started using kratom again to get me through that. Sudden diarrhea and work was not very compatible.

Belfort-kratom extract by a mile, and YES. WAY more addictive though. Plain leaf doesn't even give me a buzz at all anymore, or at least not the last time I tried. The extract and tincture are both comparable to oxycodone for me, if not stronger. Would get me nodding hardcore. But I got physically dependent after a 3 day binge, so there's that. Poppy seed tea didn't do much for me in the way of euphoria, but the sedation was nice. I know it was potent too because I had the itch and pinpoint pupils, but all in all I could definitely live without it.

btw I really do appreciate all the warnings regarding addiction. I've been very mentally addicted to another drug in the past and that was awful, it really messed me up for a while but this was also during the worst time of my life and I was using it as a coping method. So now, I won't use any drugs besides cannabis to cope. Everything else is strictly recreational, because using as a coping method is my downfall. As far as opiates go, that's a door that's been opened and will probably never truly close, but I want to be as responsible about it as possible.

My two cents would be stick to kratom if you continue using, IMO PST is on higher level to it, also to combat the diarrhea take some Loperamide, it will combat cravings, sort out the Diarrhea and you cant get high off it so if you find yourself abusing it then it may be time to reevaluate. If you dont then count your blessings my friend. All the best.

As everyone else has already stated, go as long as you possibly can without any sort of µ-opoid agonist. For addicts in general, this usually means finding a substitute class of drugs to help take your mind off of opioids/opiates/µ agonists...Or just being sober. You must derive your euphoria from something else for many weeks at the least. When I couldn't take hydrocodone anymore after a constant 30+ day stint, I switched to alcohol and marijuana to "help me cope". Yeah, it helped immensely but nothing really substitutes the euphoria of opiate-like drugs other than amphetamines.

Man I feel that, some diazepam and a few grams of weed will get me through a night, but on those nights my depression, self loathing and self harming are worse than ever. I believe I have a dopamine deficiency but what the fuck does that matter, I'm an addict.

Yeah, I'm a huge stoner, also take mirtazapine daily, and when I need a little more, I'll drink or smoke a few cigarettes (they actually give me a strong buzz as long as I don't smoke too regularly). I definitely could not deal with being sober, mentally, I'm just too much of a mess. Plus it's just so boring. But I'm good with my weed and antidepressant, that's why I'm not too worried about quitting opiates for a while. Now on the other hand, if I had to stop smoking weed...

Life is better on opiates for me.

On-topic depends what opiate you use with suboxone you can go for years on roughly the same dose with fentanyl you'll have a monster tolerance in a couple of months.