• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe How long to develop physical dependence on suboxone?

shugthethug

Greenlighter
Alright, so I’ve been taking Suboxone daily for the past couple of weeks… I initially got them from my dealer because I had the perception that they were something to take to get rid of cravings, but I liked them more than the hydromorphone I was taking (usually use like 3 times monthly at max, never physically addicted to it).

Now I realize the hole I’ve dug myself into, and I’ve started taking 4mg daily instead of 8. Please give me advice, I’m scared of what lies ahead.

You are addicted to activation of the mu-opioid receptor in your brain which both hydromorphone and suboxone both activate so if you were addicted to the dillies you are addicted to the sub now. Think of them as two different means for achieving the same end. That being said, suboxone is much better suited to maintenance and tapering because of its long duration. So if you are serious about quitting, just relax, and slowly reduce your dose at a rate you feel comfortable with. Go down to .5 or .25mg and then stop.

Oh sorry just noticed the not physically addicted part... in that case you should be good to stop cold turkey without much for withdrawls. Usually 3 weeks is absolute minimum time required to cause withdrawals unless you've been addicted before.

I'm surprised you were able to take 8mg and not puke your guts out if you are opioid naive. Thats a pretty high dose. 2mg is usually enough to make a non opioid dependent person sick....

I'm surprised you were able to take 8mg and not puke your guts out if you are opioid naive. Thats a pretty high dose. 2mg is usually enough to make a non opioid dependent person sick....
I was not opioid naive, when I do take hydro (occasionally as i said) my dose is usually 16-24mgs.

Tolerance and addiction are two manifestations of the same thing, its your body adapting to the effects of the drug... which makes it freak out if you take it away. You cant have one without the other.

Those numbers dont add up to me but hey youd know better than me, maybe you're naturally tolerant I dont know.

If you were addicted to dillies before then you're addicted to sub now, and you will have withdrawal symptoms. Both drugs tickle the same receptors so you cant go from one to another thinking youll outsmart your addiction it doesnt work.

If you werent addicted before and you were really only taking 3 times a month and then daily for a couple weeks then you should be good to go cold turkey but you're right on the precipice. If this is the case I would quit now or you are gonna have withdrawals.

If you were addicted before but cut your dose down then tolerance happens a lot faster... a week is all it usually takes to get back to where you were before.

People i know who used subs long term for maintenance and then didnt taper say its a very very bad withdrawal, very long lasting. If you arent getting sick now I highly recommend stopping completely.

Sub has a very long half life tou wont feel sick right away might be a whole day or 2 before you feel it. That said, this early on you will likely only be mildly sick. Get off now while you still have hope, thats all I can say!!

My suggestion is to shake the hand of drug users oldest friend which is ''kratom''. The WD's are much less violent and it's an alternative to opiates.

T
You are addicted to activation of the mu-opioid receptor in your brain which both hydromorphone and suboxone both activate so if you were addicted to the dillies you are addicted to the sub now. Think of them as two different means for achieving the same end. That being said, suboxone is much better suited to maintenance and tapering because of its long duration. So if you are serious about quitting, just relax, and slowly reduce your dose at a rate you feel comfortable with. Go down to .5 or .25mg and then stop.

Oh sorry just noticed the not physically addicted part... in that case you should be good to stop cold turkey without much for withdrawls. Usually 3 weeks is absolute minimum time required to cause withdrawals unless you've been addicted before

Oh sorry just noticed the not physically addicted part... in that case you should be good to stop cold turkey without much for withdrawls. Usually 3 weeks is absolute minimum time required to cause withdrawals unless you've been addicted before.
Tolerance and addiction are two manifestations of the same thing, its your body adapting to the effects of the drug... which makes it freak out if you take it away. You cant have one without the other.
Those numbers dont add up to me but hey youd know better than me, maybe you're naturally tolerant I dont know.

If you were addicted to dillies before then you're addicted to sub now, and you will have withdrawal symptoms. Both drugs tickle the same receptors so you cant go from one to another thinking youll outsmart your addiction it doesnt work.

If you werent addicted before and you were really only taking 3 times a month and then daily for a couple weeks then you should be good to go cold turkey but you're right on the precipice. If this is the case I would quit now or you are gon where you were before.
thanks for you reply. yea when i started taking opiated I found that I was naturally tolerant. I also take them orally as oppose to snorting or iv. I’m gonna see if I get sick, I skipped taking one this morning and am fine but obviously tomorrow will tell since the long half life. Sorry for the messed up reply before still learning to use this site.

My suggestion is to shake the hand of drug users oldest friend which is ''kratom''. The WD's are much less violent and it's an alternative to opiates.
Just want to make clear that kratom is an opioid. And it can also be harder to taper than sub because of its short duration. You could make the argument that withdrawal is less severe... but it depends. So OP keep that in mind if you decide to go this route.

People i know who used subs long term for maintenance and then didnt taper say its a very very bad withdrawal, very long lasting. If you arent getting sick now I highly recommend stopping completely.

Sub has a very long half life tou wont feel sick right away might be a whole day or 2 before you feel it. That said, this early on you will likely only be mildly sick. Get off now while you still have hope, thats all I can say!!
Thanks a lot for this comment. Didn’t take it this morning and am gonna see how long/if I get sick

Never try snorting or IV a pill, a pill is in a shell because it needs to be i n g e s t e d

I'm 15 days clean of 2mg/day of sub and my arms and legs still feel like shit and I have no energy. I tapered for about 2 months before totally quitting.

Do a search on Bluelight for kratom withdrawal. I see posts all the time esp recently more n more often. Lots of people having horrendous withdrawals from kratom.

Do a search on Bluelight for kratom withdrawal. I see posts all the time esp recently more n more often. Lots of people having horrendous withdrawals from kratom.

Most withdrawals consist of the same thing, it's self speaking. Either this or cold turkey which tells you that body chemistry is different. For some, kratom WD's aren't violent for some cold turkey isn't violent or viceversa.

Kratom was not my friend, worst withdrawal I've ever experienced. It has the dual withdrawal going on, opiate withdrawal and an SSRI like withdrawal.

I don't agree with this, so just wanted to chime in. Idk could just be me but I've never felt more worthless than when I was chained to Kratom. Maybe because I hated everything about it? To each his own tho or whatever that cool saying is

Kratom essentially felt like it sucked my very soul out of me when I was addicted to it. But then again some people say that about bupe and it's my life savor

Bupe is a way more stable maintenance. Kratom is a more of a rollercoaster. That said when you are on one of highs it feels more euphoric than bupe ever could.