• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

How long of taking Opiates before you experience withdrawal symptoms

Like it was said before, I believe it has to do with the psychological effects that we already carry inside linked to the physical ones like withdraws. And that makes everything much more complicated.

For some of us, these opiates give us a very great warmth and euphoric feeling while for others the well being is just related to the fact it helped them while healing the pain. I don´t know why but these are people find their way out of the 'temporary addiction' with very minimum side effects.

If the medication itself served its purpose and you were okay because it released you from feeling the pain and nothing else, the effects after you stop should be quite mild and definitely manageable.
Some people really see no real difference from opiates or anti inflammatory and antibiotics as a temporary prescribed medicine. And the effects coming from the use of them are seem as merely side effects of those medications.

IMO, There is a very thin line that separates those who sees this sort opiate medication as we see antibiotics for ex., and others like myself, who abused it even to ease a legitimate pain due to an orthopedic condition followed by a surgery.

Last edited:
Actually do not say you can't die from opiate withdrawal. I have almost died twice from opiate withdrawal.... As long as you have enough fluids, etc. well you can't drink water for 3 days so that makes it towards death! So Then you can die from opiate withdrawals and it's this disgusting attitude towards it that people die everyday from them. I was hospitalized with kidney failure, completely jaundice, dehydrated to a point if I didn't go to a hospital I would have died for sure. And don't say I would have died from dehydration, etc.... Because if I wasn't kicking And wasn't puking gallons of lime green slime I wouldn't have been dying. So you most definitely can die from opiate withdrawals!

Besides the individual, it's all about the drug half life and how you use. I've gone 2 weeks on doctor prescribed but fairly heavy oxycodone doses following a ton of morphine, fentanyl, and whatever else at th hospital. But 3 days of recreational use can do me in and has in the past. If you're redosing as needed, the shorter the duration, the faster you get hooked. If you have to redose 6x a day as opposed to once, that's like 6 days of use relative to the other opiate, so a few days can be like a few weeks, but this applies more to recreational use because most drs would never rx an opioid that requires very frequent redosing, and most short acting opioids are gray market drugs/RCs anyway.

Also, tweakette brings up a VERY important point about dehydration!! I didn't nearly die but dehydration from wd combined with the antibiotics I was on (ironically to cure a bladder infection that was not responding well to treatment because of dehydration) put me through hell medically. WD can be like the stomach flu and that kills via dehydration pretty regularly.

Sorry to dig up old post, i was just throwing my input in here for anyone wanting personal experience. I have been an opiate addict off and on about 10 years, I was an iv user for part of it, but only about a year, as we all no that is very hard to manage and keep responsible with.
And for me, if i am using prescription meds, as long as i stay under 2-300mg. a day i can go about 3-5 days and sometimes not feel anything except the mental withdrawal symptoms, with very little physical withdrawal. The physical stuff, will just be feeling lazy and unmotivated, sore joints and muscles some stomach discomfort, and trouble sleeping, and sometimes muscle cramps in my legs, back and arms. But i consider this light, because the worst is over in a couple days and i am back to work monday, not feeling to bad. Im not going into the psychological cravings and symptoms, if you are an opiate addict you already know them, and it only takes one opiate use to start those back up. Sometimes just 3 days is enough to make this happen, especially if i re dosed several times a day.

Now anything over 3-5 days and it will send me into your classic full blown physical symptoms. Like a while back i went on a 5 day oxy binge (about 200mg a day or more), and was just fine when i stopped, then a week later, i went on a black tar binge, (nasal) and was using about .5 to 1 gram a day and was dosing 3-4 times a day. I did this for 7 days, and it was enough to send me into full blown withdrawals. I am still getting over this last binge and its a week later. I have never tried over a week of use to see if the withdrawals get worse for the last few years, as i actually try not to do opiates. It seems that since i have been physically and mentally addicted so many times over the last 10 years it doesnt take much and I am back to withdrawing. Which sucks for me as i love opiates, but going through the withdrawals several times a year gets tiresome.
Anyways this is just my 2 cents, If you keep it to a minimum, and just a day or two of use and spread it out you should not have to worry about withdrawals, not to mention tolerance should not be as much of a problem. But if you binge for a few days it might be enough to start withdrawals again if u have previously been an addict. Like i said sometimes just 3 days is enough for me to get full blown withdrawal symptoms.

Last edited:
I didn't even know I was addicted to blues, doing 2 of them every other day for about a month and when I stopped I first learned what withdrawals were, and I sat at my laptop at 4 AM looking at all the shit I had read and laughed about and said...

"fuck".

I feel like I could see one laying around and go in to withdrawals.

At this point I could go 2-3 days of hard use and be in full withdrawals.