• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

How long of taking Opiates before you experience withdrawal symptoms

BackSeatSuicide

Bluelighter
So for the last 5 days, i've taken about 20-30mg of oxycodone, except one of the days i took a 30mg morphine. I was wondering if I am gonna go through withdrawals from that. I've heard it takes a week or two of heavy use to go into withdrawals. Its been about 24hours since the last time i took anything and i still feel ok. So I should be good right, cause i've gone through withdrawals before after a couple years of taking them, and I so do not wanna go there again lol I am pretty mad at myself for relapsing, but shit happens, and we move on. But i should be good tho right ? I mean i've been prescribed 5 x 5mg oxycodones for 2 weeks before, and after i ran out i felt kinda crappy for a day, not really in pain or anything, just kinda like i had a cold, but other then that i was fine. What do you guys think, am I in the clear ?

So for the last 5 days, i've taken about 20-30mg of oxycodone, except one of the days i took a 30mg morphine. I was wondering if I am gonna go through withdrawals from that. I've heard it takes a week or two of heavy use to go into withdrawals. Its been about 24hours since the last time i took anything and i still feel ok. So I should be good right, cause i've gone through withdrawals before after a couple years of taking them, and I so do not wanna go there again lol I am pretty mad at myself for relapsing, but shit happens, and we move on. But i should be good tho right ? I mean i've been prescribed 5 x 5mg oxycodones for 2 weeks before, and after i ran out i felt kinda crappy for a day, not really in pain or anything, just kinda like i had a cold, but other then that i was fine. What do you guys think, am I in the clear ?
As with most things it all depends on the individual.

Ive had spells of 1-2 weeks of moderately heavy use of Oxy (160-240mg per day) and the withdrawals were not as bad as i expected, but then other times ive had just 2 days of very heavy use (400mg each of the 2 days) and then experienced severe withdrawals for over a week or so.

Best of luck, i wish you well (and hopefully you suffer no/minimal withdrawals)

One thing to bare in mind is i complicate my withdrawals as i also abuse Benzos extremely heavily on and off so im sure this adds to/complicates the withdrawal symptoms that i experience.

well i only did 30mg a day so i think i am good if i go by your scale lol i definitely haven't taken 200-400mg in one day in a long long long time. used to be like that tho. Opiates are a bitch aren't they lol

well i only did 30mg a day so i think i am good if i go by your scale lol i definitely haven't taken 200-400mg in one day in a long long long time. used to be like that tho. Opiates are a bitch aren't they lol
This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ and Benzos..... what a pair of bitches i wish id never got involved with!

for sure man. I never got bad into benzos luckily, for some reason if i take more then one xanax 2mg, i black out, and if i mix opiates and benzos at all i black out and wake up in the hospital strapped to the bed with angry secuirty guards around me. i didn't like that, so i stopped taking benzos lol

for sure man. I never got bad into benzos luckily, for some reason if i take more then one xanax 2mg, i black out, and if i mix opiates and benzos at all i black out and wake up in the hospital strapped to the bed with angry secuirty guards around me. i didn't like that, so i stopped taking benzos lol
Good on you.

Your obviously not as stupid as i am.

were all stupid in our own way. I promised myself i would never use a needle, and i did that awhile back. But thank god i stopped before it got too bad. And now i was stupid enough to pop a 30mg oxycodones for the last few days in a row, and now I am praying to god that i am not going to go through withdrawals

It will take a minimum of 2 weeks of heavy use to become dependant for the first time. After the first time it only takes 4-5 days to get readdicted.

It will take a minimum of 2 weeks of heavy use to become dependent for the first time. After the first time it only takes 4-5 days to get readdicted.

With no real evidence to support this, I +1 it. For me, opiates have always been a psychological addition. The withdrawals are nothing compared to the depression, dysphoria, boredom. They impart needle fever and that's what I can't get rid of.

You shouldn't experience too much as far as physical wd is concerned. A two week little binge would be a piece of cake compared to a benzo wd anyways so don't worry. If you aren't feeling bad by this point you should be okay, the half-life of what you are taking is so short that you would already be in the thick of it.

With no real evidence to support this, I +1 it. For me, opiates have always been a psychological addition. The withdrawals are nothing compared to the depression, dysphoria, boredom. They impart needle fever and that's what I can't get rid of.

Incorrect. Beides Alcohol, opiates in general (morphine to semi synthetic to fukky senthtic) are predominantly physically dependent. You are blessed that you haven't, from what you have said, gone thru constant binges of opiate use, day after day for months at a time. Yes when used in moderation recreationally, the slight withdrawal is annoying, uncomfortable cuz yu wanna be high again, depressed cuz you cant achieve tat feeling again right away, etc. Thats far easyily treatable, get up, drink fluids and stay busy its all mental like those symptoms you listed. Once your BODY is exposed to that opiate or any one (depends on potency ofcourse) on a consistent basis then it becomes DEPENDENT on that drug. It gets to the point (this is all known scientific facts) where your body cannot function the same , as good, and struggling to make you stable unlike it was before. Malnutrtion comes into play sooneyou do those same thing as rooner or later, you have no desire to eat or any appetite, Your ;ayjathoc, your body got so use it to do those same things as before.

Dont take every exact thing I said for complete fact I'm only speaking on my own personal experience mixed in what Iv learend thru studies and medical books. I know some fellow Bluelighters can back me up on this, im not that good of a teacher.

You aren't totally wrong (my opinion again) , with short term use and in moderation, potency of your drug all play factors but once you tun that fun lil activity until a daily thing that puts getting high or a fix before your priortites then its very much so a PHYSICAL addiction resulting in feeling physical withdrawals,

Last edited:
^opioid wd really isn't that bad physically besides the rebound pain and sore joints. It's 70% upstairs in my experience. Try having a siezure from benzo wd and you'll come back with a completely different perspective. Opioids are rather safe to withdrawal from actually. As long as you control fever, body fluid levels, and emesis it's not that bad. That's all assuming that there was no injury behind the drug. If there is you will be in a world of pain and anxiety.

^opioid wd really isn't that bad physically besides the rebound pain and sore joints. It's 70% upstairs in my experience. Try having a seizure from benzo wd and you'll come back with a completely different perspective. Opioids are rather safe to withdrawal from actually. As long as you control fever, body fluid levels, and emesis it's not that bad. That's all assuming that there was no injury behind the drug. If there is you will be in a world of pain and anxiety.

Agreed, I was just replying my knowledge of what pertains more to mental/physiological withdrawals compared to physically dependent withdrawals ya know? My point basically which your reply touched on it is that, any WD's are relatively safe is acted on them quickly, treating them properly but with a chronic use of an Opiate, the physical body suffers, muscle, joint pain, dehydration if not taken care of, diarrhea, Insomnia from pure shitty feeling, and vommiting ( top of my head). I remember seein my friends, he was healthy as an ox, varsity basketball senior year... Every time he would make his way to the dope man already fiening; he would throw up stomach acid n w.e every other block until he finally got his fix.
Don't get me wrong tho, benzo.... *shivers) those withdrawals are evil and a product of the Devil himself. Life just seems pointless to no end, you feel hopeless, no motivation or emotion. That was me just after only 1 1/2 weeks of Xanax binging! But I did average 2-3 occasionally 4 a day. Oh god never again, never again.

The way I was taught tying back in with withdrawals compared to opiates, that since stimulants are so ridiculously abusive to your brains feel good receptors, dopamine, serotonin etc at such a high constant rate that when you crash, aside from feeling extreme fatigue (no sleep for DAYS at a time) but also restless. No desire to interact with anyone. I feel like mentally/ w.e your suffering in that sense.
Oh God, the worst of them all in MY OPINION; Ecstasy :( My fav drug of all time in terms of Euphoria and having a great time on it, etc & Im not talking about those 50/50 sketchy fraud, toss up of whats inside it, fkn pill people pass around claiming its the real deal -__- (teenagers and their misinformed movies) I mean "Molly", that beautiful blissful goddess white girl :D Evil and a deceiving, conniving tramp broad at the same time. But that state of euphoria, worry-free, feeling connected with anyone you meet, warm blissful feeling, uncontrollable happiness (a loved one could die earlier that same day and their memory is put on hold for a bit) & my fav, effect from pure MDMA =, slightly subjectional for some, is being with someone of the opposite sex you either know well or just met the girl hours before & giving her the best sex shes ever thought, imagined, fantasized about in her life Lol. Even better if your a good se partnet but on 'E' ull ruin her for any other gu THe comedown tho in my opinion, usingwhat I know scientificallu is the main reason you feel so fucking amazing is because MDMA 'inhibits' your monoamine transporter,, releasing increasedd concentrations of your serotonin, nor-epinephrine, and dopamine. Just fuckin pulls the lever and all your feel good feelin shits downpour resulting in a feeling of pure Ecstasy. Imagine a waterfall, all that downfall of water is your brains chemicals mainly.

if anyone cared to read, correct me if im wrong anywhere pelase.

Last edited:
When people are prescribed opiates for short term acute pain and stop taking it they usually don't go into physical withdrawals. People who have mental addictions may have some craving but that from a pre existing condition from past drug use.

If it was only for a week or two at a low dose you should be fine. Try not to think about it. You can mentally make your self feel bad. Keep busy. Don't nap during the day and if you have trouble sleeping take a Benadryl or two.

I think you will be ok. Let us know how it goes.

It will take a minimum of 2 weeks of heavy use to become dependant for the first time. After the first time it only takes 4-5 days to get readdicted.

Word. I've had relapses after being clean 6 weeks or so and if I use 2-3 days in a row I'll get some pretty noticeable WD symptoms again. The first high will usually be real intense, and the 2-3 days will probably have me being really high, but then it's going to be a few crappy days after that. WD symptoms come back so quickly if you've already been addicted, it's so easy to get hooked in again. If I've had a longer-ish clean period, like more than 4 months, then it seems like it takes a little bit longer to get WD symptoms again

For me with any opiates at all including heroin i wont feel any sort of wd symptoms unless i use for about 4 days straight and even then its so minor that its almost nothing. People cant seem to take opiates 1 or 2 days in a row and wait a week and they are weak and need it all the time everyday. Its pretty ridiculous how they cant have some self control.

IME, definitely u will get wds, but if you have some benzos u wont even care.

Since we're having a discussion on the topic, I want to offer a few clarifications and expansions on some really good points that have already been made.

1: It takes heavy use to become physically dependent in a short amount of time. True. Some people take their narcotics as prescribed for years and never need to increase the dosage, and can discontinue with few if any ill effects. There's a big difference not just psychologically but neurologically between doing opiates and getting high off them and taking them as prescribed. When you put your brain through that flood-drought cycle, it's going to come back to bite you. A caveat to this is that the more times you put your brain through this cycle, the less time/use it takes to become physically dependent and experience withdrawal symptoms. I've been doing it for about ten years with a few years of breaks here and there, and I've found myself at a point where all it takes is one use and I will experience mild withdrawal symptoms. So the price of that good time increases more and more every time you put your brain through that cycle.

2: The rhyme and reason of opiate addiction/dependence and withdrawal are largely very different from person to person. While one person may not need a substance so much psychologically but have for some reason found themselves physically dependent, another person may not even have a physical dependence but the psychological addiction can be so debilitating that they may never recover, even if they've been sober for a number of years. I fall into the latter camp, unfortunately. Maybe it's a grass is greener scenario, but the physical withdrawal symptoms are, for me, far less debilitating than the mental addiction to opiates has proven.

3: Opiate withdrawal, while incredibly unpleasant, is not generally harmful. The effects can lead to malnutrition, anxiety, suicidal thoughts, yes, but the withdrawal itself is not physically harmful (as much as it feels like you're dying). Benzos, however, are very dangerous to withdrawal from and should be used with extreme caution when detoxing, preferably under the tutelage of a medical professional.

After a really bad accident I was on hydro's for 3 months then 2 months later I broke some more bones and was on them for another 2 months, most legally blissful year of my life lol. The only side effects I have encountered since then are insomnia, severe anxiety, and sleep paralysis. IdK if that's related to the opiate use or not. I'm still affected with that now over a year later but I'm sure the lifestyle I live has something to do with it.