• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

How long have you been on Suboxone for?

I was on Suboxone for about 6months, and then, I was switched to Subutex. Once you start with Subutex and refuse to take Suboxone and other opioids, you've pretty much set yourself up for failure. If you can find a doctor that actually knows the chemistry of Buprenorphine and so forth, you'll be ok, but that wasn't my case. I ended up having to constantly find a new doctor that would keep me on Subutex. Between all the inconsistency, I was on Buprenorphine for at least 4 1/2 years. It sucked. It seemed like I got my life back together and wasn't a zombie when I switched to Buprenorphine, but that went down hill when I started adding Alprazolam to the mix. I started out just using it as an aid for when I didn't have Subutex. I refused to use any other opioid than Buprenorphine, but the Xanax didn't stay just as an aid for long. My last year or two, I was combining ridiculous amounts of both on mirrors.. Some days I would be blowing through >20mg Alprazolam and 56 mg of Buprenorphine.. I guess it was really just for the sensation of putting something in my nose. I knew about the crossover from agonist to partial agonist effects, but I still did it. One day I went through 96mg of Buprenorphine.. I was too stupid to even be put on a scale of stupidity..

It took my girlfriend getting switched back to Suboxone, knowing I was soon to follow at the next appointment, only have 10-8mg pills left, and an intervention that sent me to rehab to get my shit together.. Funny how things work out. It turns out she got pregnant right before that intervention took place... Most holidays serve as an anniversary reminder for me. I went in to rehab on 12-30-12, but I snuck in something. I ended up having my first day of sobriety in 12+ years on 12-31-12.. so Halloween will be my 10 month mark.

Oh man I know that that's like, there was something about combining benzos and sub that I seemed to like a whole lot. I had to lose someone to finally wake up and stop taking all that shit, I probably wouldn't be here talking about being clean if it weren't for that.

Yeah, it sucks that it takes more than just the random thoughts of, "hey, I shouldn't be doing this.." that we all get while we're active to stop with that BS.. What was maintenance turned into my DOC.

Was on suboxone for a little over 8 years. Sooo wish I would have stopped after a few years, it was just too easy to stay on it. Although I definitely believe it helped save my life at one point, not so sure I feel the same way now.

Almost 4 years off it, took about 2 years to feel "normal" again.

2 years to feel normal again? how and why?

and to those guys doing benzo's on subox, you got a good high? ive taken since in order to sleep or for MRI (which I have for a brain tumor I have) and never felt much; no drive to get more, do more, etc. then again, I was NEVER a benzo lover. I was prescribed 90/mo and would sell to get dope. now I told the Dr. to kill my script and only use for MRI or sleep if anxiety is too high or I need sleep ASAP, which isnt often. I know benzo's have always been a bad disease and is right there w/ alcohol as one of the worst withdrawals but benzo's never drew me in the way dope did. Id do a benzo and not feel GREAT or anything, just less anxious. so they never became a hard core drug for me even tho ive attempted to try EVERYTHING w/ them at times.

^^ 2 years to feel normal because he was on suboxone maintenance for years.

kicking subs after a few years of maintenance = terribly long physical PAWS symptoms.

And I'm guessing benzos never got you THAT high for same reasons meth never got me THAT high. People have different brain chemistry, and physiologically react different than others to different substances. This is why people have drugs of choice, because certain drugs will inherently cause a MUCH more intense and euphoric high based on your brain chemistry. For me, opiates were like being hugged by god and amphetamines were like a double shot of espresso. For my ex, amphetamines made her feel like she WAS god where as opiates made her feel "tired".

In short, everybody's different and will react differently to different drugs. ;)

I agree with you bago.. between your own self and doctors, it is extremely easy to stay on Buprenorphine, and I have very mixed feelings towards it. I know how bad I was on oxy, but I know how much worse I was living towards the end of Buprenorphine.. My liver wasn't failing, but my life was falling apart piece by piece.

2 years to feel normal again? how and why?

and to those guys doing benzo's on subox, you got a good high? ive taken since in order to sleep or for MRI (which I have for a brain tumor I have) and never felt much; no drive to get more, do more, etc. then again, I was NEVER a benzo lover. I was prescribed 90/mo and would sell to get dope. now I told the Dr. to kill my script and only use for MRI or sleep if anxiety is too high or I need sleep ASAP, which isnt often. I know benzo's have always been a bad disease and is right there w/ alcohol as one of the worst withdrawals but benzo's never drew me in the way dope did. Id do a benzo and not feel GREAT or anything, just less anxious. so they never became a hard core drug for me even tho ive attempted to try EVERYTHING w/ them at times.

My 5 month mark was rough. I started getting really lazy..even more so than already, and I started feeling that I may be able to get down on an opiate at that point.. +9 months, I'm feeling a lot better, but I'm forcing myself to be active. To me, that is the real difference in "making it" or not after being numb for years.

Alprazolam really got interesting to me. Like case said, everyone reacts differently. Uppers make me blobbish, but alprazolam I was ready to run around in circles. It started to become a habbit to eat a couple of miligrams after a line of buprenorphine mixed with it before I played music. Eventually, I got to the point where I would just be on the couch, running around in circles in my head.. If you're trying to get clean, don't try to alter your maintenance with other drugs. I was lucky I didn't have intense physical withdrawal from the amount I was abusing at the end of my "maintenance." but yes.. I did get a "good high.." Otherwise, I wouldn't have fucked myself even worse than I already had. I was doing good with tapering, and once I started mixing Alprazolam more often, my using went flying off the cliff...

Yeah P.A.W.S is a real nightmare, I feel better today than I did two weeks ago but I still don't feel 100%. Suboxone is no joke. To answer your question, I found when mixing kolonopins and sub that I got a more euphoric high. I felt happy and like I could say anything to anyone and not give a damn. Going to work was a treat rather than a pain because I could say whatever the heck I wanted to customers and not care at all about the consequences. It was fun but I'm just glad I didn't get any physical withdrawal from the benzos.

I have been on it for almost 4 years. It probably saved my life.

I've been on subs for about a month now. I'm taking 24 MG everyday. I personally would like to stay on the subs as long as possible, I feel as soon as I'm off of them I will use and that's not what I want to do.. at all.

I'm working on going to a doc to get benzo's as I really do need them for anxiety issues and my doctor said he's fine with me getting back on them. he said that by law he can't write them for me.

shit still going good here at 16/mg a day. there are even say says where I'll wake up late and just take 1 8MG around noon and then not take another one till the following morning at 8AM. one can def. get me through the day but I dont feel as good, of course. But I am thinking of starting to taper soon. Also, is it better to take in larger chunks, like 8MG at a time, or 4MG every few hours or so?

either way, this suboxone has saved my life and i feel like a NEW MAN, finally. i am finally back to going to my friends family events (all having children now), hanging out w/ the parents to eat, not having to worry about money, or where ill get what/when/where/how, and all that other crap. it just makes me feel like i remember feeling way back.. NORMAL! i DO want to get off but i rather be on it my whole life if its what is going to SAVE my life.

Thanks, much appreciated. Hoping things continue to go this way. I got all the peeps telling me I am still on the "pink cloud". This isnt my first time trying to get clean; I was a HEAVY user for years and years. It took me multiple ROCK BOTTOMS to finally say I had enough. It took an OD and having to be picked up by my parents from a friends house and driven to a hospital half dead in the back seat. From there I woke up and went away for a bit. Since that day, I had 1 or 2 small urges to use.. and that was over 2 months ago now. I dont even know the exact date but I am sure I put it on here somewhere.

I'm with you and will say over and over ORT should be for life, just like the addiction, if the patient chooses. I just came off after a year and 2 months and it is just an all around suck fest since I was forced by my Dr. to jump off at 1/2mg. He has moved on to giving shots of naloxone monthly to patients. Boo! I just can't do things like I did when I was on subs - I was a beast! IMO A YEAR IS NOTHING. I just had enough time to set the huge life plan in motion and I'm dealing with the same shit I was in full-fledged addiction, now with all these additional responsibilities and a bunch of people around me who expect me to be able to perform the way I have the last year, reasonably so. The cravings are bullshit, the lack of energy is bullshit, the "I've got the flu" excuse is wearing thin, and there is no relief in sight - this area of the country is lame af - I can't find another Dr. to prescribe except daily clinics and that's simply not an option. When I can find a Dr. who still prescribes they either want to start immediate tapering, which doesn't help matters, or they don't take my insurance. Sorry, I don't have an amount equal to my rent lying around per month to spend on the outrageous crooked Dr.'s fees and the script. It did save my life and I still need it. If you want advice I would stay CYA! Start looking NOW for another Dr. since you know this one isn't on your plan. You are right about the bullshit ass yearly plan and you deserve to get the help you need. There are people out there who have been on subs for years and years and I wish I lived in an area of the country where Dr.s don't just put people like me on subs long enough to get them seriously hooked then leave us high and dry.

Also if it helps I did taper a lot and it wasn't bad at all. At a year I was quite comfortable at 2mg a day. I think your 3 year idea or maybe even 2 would be possible. So tapering isn't the problem its coming completely off.

And you aren't on a pink cloud you're on a very powerful opiate. That shit does wear off, believe.