• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

How long does N2O inactivate the cyanocobalamin form of B12?

lolwhatzdrugs

Bluelighter
Man I've looked through papers on N2O a lot, and besides it being able to cause deficiency in a single anesthetic dose, and deficiency in a healthy male who developed symptoms after 8 months of doing 50 chargers daily I haven't found a definitive answer on this. It seems it directly inactivates stores of it in your body, so does cessation for several days allow levels to start to build up again?

Now, I haven't abused it near to that extent, I've done it a total of four-five days in the last 3-4 weeks, but uh like around 400 chargers and was taking cyanocobalamin before and during, though research led to me realizing that it only inactivated this form so I'll have methylcobalamin soon, I'm just curious. I also doubt I have a deficiency , but reading led me to realize that in random trials large segments of the population were already quite low (like 30-40%, but not a serious enough deficiency for pernicious anemia), but then again I eat a fair amount of meat but I couldn't access the full paper to see a breakdown of whether these people were vegan/vegetarian or what.

Nitrous oxide permanently inactivates all forms of active B12 (e.g. every type of cobalamin) via oxidation/complexation of the N2O to the cobalt center. Not just cyanocobalamin.

Given nitrous oxide's short half life in the body (being an exhaled gas and all that) usually bodily stores & dietary intake of B12 is enough to compensate. Certainly you regain your B12 levels if you cease using nitrous on a regular basis.

Oh, so supplementation and absorption of the cobalamins should be effective directly after cessation and the acute physiological effects are gone? One piece of information that was new to me is that N2O perfused into body cavities more readily than N2, but it wasn't clear whether it still had an effect on messing with cobalamin, however I would guess that it doesn't.

This was from a paper studying distension of the abdomen for GI surgeries when used as an anesthetic. Turns out, yes it causes more distension than isoflurane and other volatile anesthetics. I would guess after cessation it diffuses out of the body cavities after a day or so depending on altitude from sea level but there wasn't information on that.

I think "recreational" amounts of N2O leave the body much faster than a day; try a couple of hours at max. Pretty much as soon as you start breathing normal air after inhaling N2O, it's already being eliminated rapidly from your blood(!).

Surgical use of N2O is going to involve someone breathing a high % mixture of N2O and oxygen continuously for a while, which is a far cry from hitting balloons.

It helps if you Stick with BALLOONS when you Inhale. The Whipped Cream Dispenser Method gives you a very HIGH Dose of N20 and truly Waste the N20 because you could get 2-3 Balloons out of one 8 Gram Cartridge and The Gas Expands and is more stabilized when you Inhale.

People use whipped cream dispensers because you charge the entire canister with no waste, and you can slowly dose it by pulling the nozzle just a bit, it takes practice due to the pressure build up.

Honestly, I couldn't disagree more, large doses are much more enjoyable, you can even fit two cartridges into the dispensers! Alas, either way this kinda discussion isn't really appropriate for this subforum.