• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids How long does morphine last for you?

Branggen

Bluelighter
I have been on a 100mg ER morphine pill which is once a day (Kadian) and I was wondering what dose of instant release morphine you guys think this would be approximately equivalent in analgesia to if say I had no morphine currently in me

Are you inquiring due to tolerance considerations? Some people are fast or slow genetically with regard to metabolization, for instance my insurance paid for a test, found out I am poor metabolizer at CYP2D6, so morphine would last longer in my system and I can't in good faith use personal experience as a litmus for others.

State insurance covered my GeneSight test, ask your Rx'r specifically about it, mine didn't offer but complied when asked. (Someone told me about it) If you're interested in metabolization equivalence I'd start there: the adage 'know thyself' comes to mind.

I guess, im just curious as to how much morphine is actually in me these days in relation to say someone who took a single instant release 10mg of morphine. Ive been on a taper for a while now, started at 1000mg daily and ill be be happy to know when the dose im at is something that someone who has never touched an opiate might be able to take, or at least not die from. I think its close now at 100mg daily, I think that must be something similar to like 20-30mg all at once which I believe isn't to uncommon but I don't really know as the pills I take are 24hr ER

I don't think the 'safe zone' for how much you can take is sliding scale from ER to IR: I mean if you take 100mg over one whole day extended, you could probably dose 100mg all at once; you'd just get a rush and nod through the rest. Of course, it's better if your body is used to you making such jumps. That, well, that's just building from naivety with regard to springing yourself from what you get in a few hours to all at once as a matter of co(a/u)rse.

Definitely some truth to that but morphine half life is only 2-4 hrs. and these pills basically release 25mg every 6 hrs which means every time your getting that 25mg the previous 25 has already gone through about 2 half lives and therefore your would have only like 6mg still in the system at that point right? So maybe the peak concentration of my 100mg ER is something similar to a 30 mg dose of IR morphine?

You could soak one in cola overnight and drink half and find out. Don't drink it all or you may get very sick. See how long it lasts and if it gets you feeling good and drink the other half when it wears off.
If it lasts all day you're good... For now...

Yea, I dont wanna get high and make my taper any more difficult was just curious about people's experiences with IR morphine dosage as I don't really take IR other than 10mg on occasion if i cant sleep and have to work the next day but thats on top of the 80mg ER so I dont really feel it , it just helps insomnia

I have been on a 100mg ER morphine pill which is once a day (Kadian) and I was wondering what dose of instant release morphine you guys think this would be approximately equivalent in analgesia to if say I had no morphine currently in me
Are you administrating morphine as form of recreactional use or medicinal?

Are you administrating morphine as form of recreactional use or medicinal?

Its prescribed for addiction but I don't take more than prescribed and I have been tapering for a year now so medically as I don't feel any high

Its prescribed for addiction but I don't take more than prescribed and I have been tapering for a year now so medically as I don't feel any high
I have never heard of anyone getting morphine to taper off,
Its usually methadone or butorphanol

I have never heard of anyone getting morphine to taper off,
Its usually methadone or butorphanol

Yeah I guess im lucky where I live, their are also people prescribed IV pharma heroin and Dilaudid pills which they may smoke/snort/inject if you can believe it though I think only like 500 people, and they have to go in each day to self administer however many times I think its 2-3

Here's a quote I found about it from CBC news

"The hydromorphone pills, which are manufactured to be taken orally, will be crushed up and rendered as an injectable drug, just like heroin. It's the first time in Canada that opioids will be prescribed in this way and an idea that came directly from the street. "

Last edited: