• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

How Long Does it Take to Become Physically addicted to Xanax?

cfam

Greenlighter
I have been taking .5 mgs of Xanax once a day for the past 9 days - not wise as it is not prescribed, but I have been going through a stressful situation and felt I needed it to "keep it together" at work until the situation was resolved. Am I likely to suffer from serious PHYSICAL withdrawal symptoms if I stop taking it tomorrow (seizures etc.)? Do I need to taper or is this a low enough dose and a short enough timespan to suggest I'd be ok? I don't mean to sound stupid but I have limited experience with benzos and internet searches have been suggesting a wide array of outcomes so I'd like some input from someone with first-hand experience. Thanks!

IMO no. I think the most you may feel is some rebound anxiety. For me with Xanax that was a little more intense than other benzos. Not unbearable but not exactly comfortable either for a few days with the worst being the comedown. I'd say since you only take a small dose once daily and it's short acting you already know how it's gonna go as it should be comparable to the time between doses. If things are anxiety inducing for you most def set up an appointment with a psychiatrist to be able to manage safely. I just finished posting in another thread about how dangerous it is becoming now with fentanyl cuts. If you aren't getting what you need from a licensed pharmacy your self medicating may prove fatal. Just a word of caution. Oh and no taper IMO would be needed until you've been on it at least 3-4 weeks steady.

Weeks of sustained use to initiate tolerance and withdrawal, but it would probably be minor at that point. Severe withdrawal will most likely take a few months of sustained use to initiate.

I suffered withdrawals after taking it 1mg to 1.5mg with no tolerance for 6weeks (the time flew) and withdrew when I stopped abruptly. I had the ful on withdrawals ofcourse it was milder than it could ave been but believe meit was still hard xanax is one hell of an addictive benzo havent touched it since. Been away from that one since february 2015. But yea I was throwing up everything, unreal nausea no matter whther standing or sitting, bad diarrhea I was just relieing myself of acid and bile at one point. Not to mention there was this strange withdrawal symptom called benzo belly. Thats from 6 weeks of taking .5s throughtout the day until I reached 1.5mg. On my mothers grave it only took 41 days. If I could get physically addicted in 41 days you should stay away if you dont need this one. Take care

Take breaks man, if you use them for a few days, take a week or more off. It comes quick, and out of control. I got into a habit and it took me to 24MGs per day. Withdrawal was hell. Spent 120 days in a rehab and 28 days just in detox. It can be FAR Worse than Heroin withdrawal. And I've done that as well from a 2 gram a day habit. So I know what I'm talking about.