• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos How long does it take of daily use to get physical withdrawals from Xanax?

socalgg1551

Greenlighter
Hi everyone,

I tried searching for an answer to this question but couldn’t find an exact answer so thought I’d make a post.

How long would it take to get physical withdrawals from daily Xanax use? Let’s say, I took a half to a whole bar daily for 1-2 weeks, would that be enough to get physical withdrawals? Also to note, I’ve never been physically dependent on benzos but have been on opiates.

If you're trying to make this calculation then it likely won't take long, relatively.

But 1-2mg of xanax everyday for two weeks is probably pushing farther into that territory than i'd be comfortable with. If you stay on the low end of those numbers then after two weeks it probably won't be an issue at all

Yeah the very fact that you asked this question means you are more susceptible the average person who has less awareness of the phenomenon. The expectancy of some withdrawal syndrome materializing increases the probability of feeling it.

That and the fact that you know what physical withdrawal feels like from a drug (opioids in your case) probably means that you'll feel it sooner than the average person.

I would cut your losses before it is too late. The withdrawal is much worse than what occurs with opioids. I've been able to walk away with few scars from heavy opioid addiction, have not been so lucky with benzos unfortunately, the withdrawal feels far more damaging. Unlike opioid withdrawal, what occurs during benzo withdrawal is neurotoxic (ie excitotoxicity).

Wait, so you guys are saying because I’m expecting or worried about physical withdrawals, the likeliness of it happening is higher?

What about a person who has no idea about physical dependency and withdrawals, what is the average length of time of daily use that would probably cause physical withdrawal symptoms?

I'm not necessarily sure if you'll experience anything or not, but the placebo effect could come into play I guess.

Most likely, if you stick to that regimen for only 1-2 weeks you won't have any withdrawals

Wait, so you guys are saying because I’m expecting or worried about physical withdrawals, the likeliness of it happening is higher?
No, it is not. I have gone on and off benzos a few times, and the first time, was by far the worst. I had no idea what to expect then.

Hi everyone,

I tried searching for an answer to this question but couldn’t find an exact answer so thought I’d make a post.

How long would it take to get physical withdrawals from daily Xanax use? Let’s say, I took a half to a whole bar daily for 1-2 weeks, would that be enough to get physical withdrawals? Also to note, I’ve never been physically dependent on benzos but have been on opiates.
Probably not, but you might get some rebound anxiety that makes you think you're about to go into withdrawal... you're not. Don't get all in your head about it, or you will just freak yourself out. Just take some deep breaths and wait it out. 24 - 48 hours and you'll be fine. In my experience anyway.

How long would it take for full blown withdrawals? idk. I wouldn't use daily for any longer than a month though, or at least try to taper downwards on the dosage. Admittedly I'm kind of in that position myself atm.

What about a person who has no idea about physical dependency and withdrawals, what is the average length of time of daily use that would probably cause physical withdrawal symptoms?
The first few times I went into withdrawal, I was ignorant to the fact that withdrawal is a thing. Looking back, this was a good thing. I've noticed that in more recent withdrawal periods my anticipation can make me feel symptoms before I normally would have.

I was on lorazepam 2-3mg/d for 10 weeks, then being transferred to another ward where that quack stopped me cold turkey and over the next 3-4 months I'd experienced panic attacks out of nothing, fear of falling asleep and whatnot but specifically anxiogenic effects (I had social, not generalized anxiety before). It slowly subsided but back then with 17 I didn't know and thought addictive means one wanting more, based on shitty drug education.

A decade later I had bad depressions and used lorazepam on and off for 8 weeks or so and got no problems, also had some episodes of binge drinking in close times which theoretically should have increased the withdrawal, so I guess it's best to stay more time off than on when possible (4 days a week off, 3 on i.e.)

The first few times I went into withdrawal, I was ignorant to the fact that withdrawal is a thing. Looking back, this was a good thing. I've noticed that in more recent withdrawal periods my anticipation can make me feel symptoms before I normally would have.
That's true for sure. I was so afraid of opioid withdrawal that I got into maintenance for years before I realized that it's relatively easy to quit with aid of some pharms.

Welcome to Bluelight! :)

I've done Xanax for this period of time about this dosage and had some minor but still markedly unpleasant effects after coming off it. I'll call it mental withdrawal. Luckily I had gabapentin and baclofen so I just rolled with those to ease it out.

So, short answer: probably yes, but very minor and deal-with-able.

I done xanax daily for about 6 month approx once (2 to 4 mil daily). Ran out and 5 days later I was in a&e on the verge of being sectioned. I knew xanax had withdrawals I just didn't expect anything close to it being that bad. So it wasn't a mental thing. I thought after a few days of stopping well this is xan withdrawal. But as I say day 5 BANG.. and it lasted quite a while the WDs.

Taper down, always is my opinion.

Keep it to 1mg. I was on that dosage for 2 years and switched to Klonopin when tapering off. I jumped off at .5 and it was mostly just mental. Rebound anxiety and some insomnia.