• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos How long does it take for the full effects of the long acting metabolites produced by Diazepam&what r they?

Drag2019

Bluelighter
I think I remember reading 5 to 14 Days somewhere. I'm also curious as to whether there is just the one long-acting metabolite since I know oxazepam and temazepam which are not long-acting and are 2 metabolites right?

That would mean it's if I remember correctly "desmethyldiazepam" as the long-acting metabolite. Which from what I understand Diazepam itself does not last as long and I have read it has a half-life of up to 100 Hours and then it says (200) Hours or some which I think refers to the long-acting Metabolite I'm not sure?

EDIT: Asking about how long does it take for the elimination half-life (NOT the half-life for the duration of effect) to build up fully after consecutive daily use?

Last edited:
I still feel like crap I'm trying to switch to Diazepam for Benzo Taper but I'm ready to give up. I would think that someone here at Bluelight would have known this answer to this question?

What exactly are you asking?

Diazepam's main metabolite is nordiazepam, traces of it can linger in your body for a while (weeks), but the effects won't last that long. Usually no longer than a day.

Did you read my post? What exactly are you trying to say?

Last edited:
Do I instead need to ask how long does it take for the elimination half-life for Diazepam to build up from consecutive daily use? Just want to confirm I got things right based on what I've read for how long it takes.

how long does it take for the elimination half-life for Diazepam to build up from consecutive daily use?
iirc, daily use of diazepam: one can forget about half-life matters... it is moot. half life of 100-200hrs is the accepted average... there is no room for half-life it is a continual "stacking".
maybe i am wrong just seems like common sense and i love diazepam.... =D

iirc, daily use of diazepam: one can forget about half-life matters... it is moot. half life of 100-200hrs is the accepted average... there is no room for half-life it is a continual "stacking".
maybe i am wrong just seems like common sense and i love diazepam.... =D

When it comes to switching Benzos elimination half-life matters.

WTH i am lost now... guess it would depend on intake and length of time eatin the diaz. i mean there is nothing posted that i see about stopping diaz and transitioning.... what is the final question, please?

I must be explaining things wrong in english I think.

You don't see the post that says (I still feel like crap I'm trying to switch to Diazepam for Benzo Taper but I'm ready to give up. I would think that someone here at Bluelight would have known this answer to this question?)

I'm can't do anything right.

I'm trying to switch to Diazepam for Benzo Taper
Ohhhh. What benzos are we trying to kick? Sorry it appears that the subject is diazepam but but obviously not. Not being a dick, just a little confused.
Can we have just a wee bit more to work with?
Where are you now as benzos are concerned? What is it you are on and at what dose? How often on the dosing?
Diazepam is great for taper but it depends on a few factors as to what to suggest.
Best always,
Ptah

Edit: You can do everything right. It is my misunderstanding that is lacking, here. ;)

Based on my google searches that Diazepam elimination half-life, when used daily, accumulates fully after 5 to 14 Days as this was the question that no one has said is wrong it must be the correct answer.

Based on my google searches that Diazepam elimination half-life, when used daily, accumulates fully after 5 to 14 Days as this was the question that no one has said is wrong it must be the correct answer.
There is a difference between active half-life and plasma half-life - which is cause for great confusion around here. There is a recent thread on it here that may contain the answers you are looking for: https://www.bluelight.org/xf/threads/all-drugs-short-half-life-vs-long-half-life-drugs.890892/

But basically the drug can be detectable in your blood for a longtime after it has ceased to have any psychoactive effect. Apparently this is a common misunderstanding with valium which even though it has a plasma half-life of up to 100 hours is actually a short-acting benzo of only several hours duration.

@Lorne??? seems to know a lot about this subject and can probably elaborate further,

Hello!

The truth is, with Valium, and its primary metabolite, Nordazepam(Tranxene, also available in other countries in pure form under different names), the "plasma" half-life honestly does not matter; it is the "Active" or distribution half-life, which with Valium is quite short, just a few hours on average

There is no stacking effect, like with say, Methadone where it takes a couple of days to get the full effect from a dose (Chronic Methadone doses are 1.5-2X as potent as Acute doses)

So with Valium, 3-8 hours per dose is all your going to get

Just because half of the drug lingers in fatty tissue for 30-40 hours after each dose does NOT mean you are getting psychoactive effects from it

Honestly if you have a high Benzodiazepine tolerance, I would consider tapering with another, longer acting Benzodiazepine; Klonopin/Clonazepam can be quite used for this, and Oxazepam is actually a good choice, aside from its slow onset

And temazepam and oxazepam, btw, are both produced in such small amounts after taking Valium that they are inactive

Good 😊 Luck and if you have any more questions or specific info, BL is here

As you are switching from a unknown to us benzo to Diazepam. That is what makes any conclusions somewhat more difficult.

My first with exp Diazepam, when I was total benzo naieve. Is totally different then the replies of Lorne and Atelier. The dose might be partly responseable, 40 mg, 36 hours later I could still feel it.

Last time I had Flualprazolam and Diclazepam, not together. And those two linger very long ime.

Well 40mg is a lot for a first timer. Unless you redosed though Idk how it could last that long, unless the GABA - A receptors were just tickled from a 2mg ~ Xanax equivalent

That's why specifically never asked about the half-life for the duration of effect of Diazepam. I asked about the elimination half-life of Diazepam which is correct it causes confusion, as it's caused a huge amount of confusion in this thread...

When does withdrawal start after lowering your dose of Diazepam and then come into full effect is a simple question that would be helpful?

Or after lowering your Diazepam dose by to much and needing to go back to original dose how long does it take to start stabilizing (if that's the correct word?) again at your previous dose before trying again with a smaller dose reduction.

Last edited:
Well 40mg is a lot for a first timer. Unless you redosed though Idk how it could last that long, unless the GABA - A receptors were just tickled from a 2mg ~ Xanax equivalent
No redose sleep was the objective so I started with 20mg, all three of us. Nothing added 10. And 10 more and dozed of gently. slept 12 hours and felt the sedation till I went to bed next day where I had another restfull night.

After an MDMA binge if that matters.

My best guess the slow come up made us take to much. the long felt sedation was the result.

Last edited:
That's why specifically never asked about the half-life for the duration of effect of Diazepam. I asked about the elimination half-life of Diazepam which is correct it causes confusion, as it's caused a huge amount of confusion in this thread...

When does withdrawal start after lowering your dose of Diazepam and then come into full effect is a simple question that would be helpful?

Or after lowering your Diazepam dose by to much and needing to go back to original dose how long does it take to start stabilizing (if that's the correct word?) again at your previous dose before trying again with a smaller dose reduction.

Well you would be stabilized off of a single dose. Diazepam is a rapid acting Benzodiazepine with a fairly short duration of action. Really it is more comparable to Xanax than Klonopin

And after coming off WD would start 4-12 hours later. Again, there just isn't really a build up with Valium. If your taking very large doses, it's semi active metabolite, and Partial Agonist, Nordazepam might buy you a little more time

Valium is HIGHLY lipophillic, which is why the Plasma T1/2 you are asking about just really does not matter

What dose you on?