• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

How long does it take for chewed fentanyl patch to kick in?

Tboy246

Bluelighter
So I'm chewing a 25 mcg patch (not the gel kind). How long does it take to kick in and give me a lil buzz? Approximately how long can I chew it before it loses all potency? And about how long does the high last? Thanks in advance!

First, what is your experience with Opioids? Your asking of how long the duration of Fentanyl's effects are is a little worrisome. An Opioid is an Opioid and they all can kill just as easily as any other, but these are dangerous because they contain enough medication for up to a few days in a small package. It would be great if you could let us know what exactly your history is with Opioids before embarking on this. At any rate, cut the patch up into small pieces and then administer until you're where you want to be.

Being that it's not a licit route of administration, there's not likely to be any hard data on the subject. I imagine no matter how hard you try, a portion of the Fentanyl is going to end up being swallowed. It's going to depend largely on the contents of your stomach, but I would imagine given the relatively small amount of material, that you'd be experiencing effects within 30 minutes at the most.

What would be absorbed buccally and sublingually would probably come on faster. I'm not familiar with this particular practice, chewing Fentanyl patches, but I know that sublingual Buprenorphine typically comes on withing 15 minutes for me. I imagine you could use this as some kind of reference point. If you're familiar with other Opioids, for instance Heroin, you can say as a reference that Fentanyl's duration is significantly shorter than either it or Morphine.

Regarding "How long does it take for chewed fentanyl patch to kick in?": [sorry I wanted to just send a PM but I failed to figure out how to do it]

Keif' Richards (moderator): You stated quote " At any rate, cut the patch up into small pieces and then administer until you're where you want to be.". If you go to a PDR or find the FDA prescribing for Duragesic® (fentanyl transdermal system 12.5, 25, 50, 75, 100mcg/hr for 72hrs contain fentanyl base in 0.1mg absolute ethanol, surrounded by an ethylene-vinyl acetate copolymer membrane, which appears like a rectangular soft translucent white double sheet of plastic, with one side very sticky. One notices that the double sheet of material surrounds 0.1mL of a clear liquid that will drip out if any part of the double sheet enclosure is punctured, mangled, or cut.
Thus, unlike say a Suboxone® square of sublingual film that can be proportionally "cut-to-desired-dosage", if one attempts this with fentanyl transdermal one promptly loses/destroys the very potent/lethal amount of fentanyl that is dissolved in only 1 tenth or a mL of ethanol. The best way to "use" one of these patches is to use it as intended, adhered to the skin. If the patch potency is too high, one can occlude, for instance, 3/4 of the patch with shiny adhesive-adhering glossy paper, opening and exposing each unused quadrant after 72 hrs. [For instance, if you have the 100mcg/hr patch but only want a standard 25mcg/hr fentanyl dose equal to 10mg morphine]. See: www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2005/19813s039lbl.pdf

Last edited:
Yeahhhh. If you have to ask basic questions about fentanyl, such as length of duration and potency, then in name of harm reduction and honesty you probably should've started somewhere else. Do you have any history with opiates? I don't know, but I can't help but get the feeling that someone you know was like, "Hey try this shit I got."

Fentanyl is NO JOKE. I've never heard of people picking up opiates by starting with Fentanyl. They do say it is 50-100x more potent than morphine. Not to mention you would've been better off just slapping the patch on. To my knowledge chewing patches is a risky business, a gamble, if you will. It fucks with the time release mechanism in uncontrollable ways.

My advice? Wear it if you must or ideally find something a little further down the totem pole. You're already in the end game, my friend. Please let us know what you did and how you handled.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not dogging the OP. I've done things just as reckless, if not more so. I just really want you to understand the gravity of the substances your dabbling in. Only because this shit can swallow you whole quicker than you would believe. Stay safe, my brother.

Last edited:
I think he has the mylan patches lylstar, or else he wouldn't be asking about chewing them.

I agree. Wear it as intended. The furthest I would go is using a hot water bottle to speed up delivery, and even that is ill advised as it can sneak up on you.

I was trying to say that cutting the patch into pieces would be preferable to chewing the whole thing at once. I'll admit that I'm not intimately familiar with the technology behind the different brands of Fentanyl patches.

I never have encountered the Mylan or any other generic fentanyl patches, but if they involved impregnating fentanyl onto some slow-absorbtion substrate layer in the patch, extraction of the fentany might be even harder than with Duragesic's 0.1mL of absolute ethanol. Keif' I have never enjoyed correcting people, and now have found out how to send personal messages, which from now on will be the way I will convey that type of thing. Did not in any way desire to affront/offend you. There are fancier ways to approach collecting the fentany from such a tiny amount of solute. After carefully opening one side of a patch, one could attempt adding a couple mLs of Everclear (90% ethanol), aspirating the mixture into a syringe, and then using the mixture of ethanol/propylene glycol/water that is used to dissolve diazepam into injectable form, adjusting for the extra ethanol 1.8mL used to extract the fentanyl from the patch. A 50mcg/hr patch possesses 5mg of fentanyl in the 0.1mL patch. That is a 50mcg, or 0.05mg dose of fentanyl X 100 doses yielding 100 1hr fentanyl double-doses. Generally it is against my principles revealing this depth of "kitchen chemistry" since long ago in my life after disclosing similar info I had a person use the knowledge and come within an hour of dying from a massive OD. So in the future I am just goinna remain "ignorant" of this depth of technique. I don't want deaths on my hands. Anyway, it is still the best of advice to use such patches the regular way, ON ONE'S SKIN FOR 72 HRS. It is reliable, and 3 continuous days of fentanyl effects is nothing to sneer at!
&&

Thanks for all the replies everyone! They're all greatly appreciated

Well here's an update (little bit late I know). There is a history of using opiates first of all, preferably oxycodone. Takes about 90-120 mg of it to get the desired effect.. Back on track though, fentanyl has been tried in the past using the same chewing method but the strip that was cut off was just too low of a dose to get anything too good out of it, just a little warmth.
So this time there was a 25 mcgm cut off strip which ended up getting chewed and the effects were felt in about 30 minutes. Got messed up pretty darn good and definitely produced the desired opiate type high.. It was chewed for about 6 hours and effects started tapering off in about 2 hours and was completely done within 6 hours. It was a 100 mcgm patch cut in half and that half was cut in half as well. So there was two 25 mcgm slivers that were taken over 2 days.. Surprisingly there were some pretty uncomfortable withdrawal symptoms.

The chewing is a waste.....transdermal (skin bioaviailability for fent is 100%....its is only 30% orally...and you are boud to swallow some and waste it).

heating while on the skin will produce a much longer lasting a stronger high than chewing