• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

How long do you need to hold your hits in for?

nancy145

Bluelighter
How long do you need to hold your hit in for it to absorb all the thc? Like at what point would holding the hit in stop getting you higher?

I don't have a science based answer for this one but I do have some experience that might help cast at least a little light on the subject.

I have tried to compare the effects of vaping as i normally would (holding every hit for 3-4 seconds) vs holding it for 10 seconds vs inhaling deep and then exhaling right away.

While there was a difference between holding it in vs exhaling right away, there was no difference what so ever when comparing 3-4 seconds to 10 seconds.
The difference between exhaling right away and holding it in for 3-4 seconds yielded a potency increase of about 10-20%, although this is only my quess based on this short term experiment of mine and the placebo effect shouldn't be disregarded as the culprint for this supposed increase in the intensity of the subjective effects.

I think its after 5 seconds or something like that. To be completely honest, I find holding in my hits to not do much than just inhaling and exhaling slowly. I probably hold them for 1-2 seconds max and never felt a difference, other than in my lungs lol. I think that the whole "hold it in thing" just helped people figure out/understand how to smoke weed, making it seem like the idea is to take a deeep breath, allow it to fill your lungs, then exhale.

Yeah, holding hits never did much for me, but exhaling slowly through the nose does seem to make things kick a bit harder.

Just think of how much life would suck if your lungs were not efficient at absorbing things from air... having to hold your breath every time you inhale because it cant pull out the lesser constituent of air known as oxygen. Look at it like this, your lungs have a 6L capacity and you only use a faction of that as you do not take huge breaths for air nor do you hold them in. The reason for this is your lungs are huge and great at air exchange.

Take a deep breath and think about how much bigger that is then your normal breaths, yet you get enough oxygen out of it even though its only 21% to survive and you are a big organism. My guess is your lungs remove about 50-75% percent of what it can in the first few seconds and that number rapidly drops off as the stale air in the middle probably doesnt move around much. So it is probably less beneficial the longer you do it.

I dont really hold my hits in maybe 2-3 seconds but i dont think it makes a difference really, especially since if you are smoking plant matter you take multiple hits i think your fine with either doing so or not but i could see holding it in being worse for your health for a marginal gain.

Once that smoke hits your lungs the THC is absorbed so readily and rapidly holding it in more isn't going to benefit you more.

I like to hold my hits in until I faint and when I wake up I can wake and bake again. I do this like 18 times a day, it's awesome.

However long you want. If you want a stronger buzz then try blowing the smoke out you nose and mouth simultaneously, works great for me. Or snoop Dogg it breath in the smoke though your nose that's coming out of your mouth. Other than that holding it in excessively doesn't have that much of a beneficial effect.
Happy toking,
Nugz

The only reason some people believe that holding hits in longer gets you higher is because of the headspin associated with oxygen deprivation. As has already been said her it only takes a couple of seconds to get as much of the thc into you as you can. Anything longer than that is just killing brain cells and making you dizzy.

I usually hold my hits for around 5-8 seconds. Depending on how strong the strain is.

I don't see how holding it in longer wouldn't allow you to absorb (marginally) more THC. Second hand marajauna smoke is enough to get somebody intoxicated if they're unused to toking. That's all your unabsorbed THC they're getting. Personally, I find taking a breath of just air into my lungs while they're filled with smoke makes it hit me far harder.

Personally I don't think holding in your smoke makes a difference, I've seen someone hold their breath for as long as 30 minutes then fall backwards and faint for a few seconds. I'd rather just hold it in for a good few seconds then exhale through the nose. I enjoy french inhaling too. I don't think too much oxygen deprivation is worth it. As an above user said, once the smoke hits your lungs it's absorbed.