• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc How long after quitting antipsychotics do dopamine drugs start working again?

cletusSamboy

Bluelighter
Does it vary from person to person? Seems my problem feeling stims happened after messing with a single dose of abilify two months ago. Smoking/snorting stims just don't work anymore only eating does but the duration from eating has dropped off significantly. Will this dopamine blocking activity ever go away?

Never heard of this being the case, at least when the last dose of neuroleptic taken is so long ago. Are you sure you have good quality stimulants at hand?

Never heard of this being the case, at least when the last dose of neuroleptic taken is so long ago. Are you sure you have good quality stimulants at hand?
Yeah eating it works like normal. Even snorting dexies don't work anymore. The time abilify and the main metabolite leaves the body is about 2 months so there's ample time for the abilify to alter receptors even after one dose. This is all speculation though since if it was blocking stims then eating shouldn't work anymore either.

Yeah eating it works like normal. Even snorting dexies don't work anymore. The time abilify and the main metabolite leaves the body is about 2 months so there's ample time for the abilify to alter receptors even after one dose. This is all speculation though since if it was blocking stims then eating shouldn't work anymore either.
The time varies based on dose of the antipsychotic and how long you've been taking them. By 2 months it should be completely out, assuming you were on pills not injections.

For me it was typically 1-3 weeks.

Also I was able to feel Dex just fine while on antipsychotics. I only noticed it blocked things like meth and LSD.

Some of this could be psychological.

Abilify can cause long term neuroplastic changes in brain structure if you take it long enough. It’s not entirely clear how that effects drug use.

Personally, in my case I think it increased my tolerance to meth but also reduced the risk of neurotoxicity and psychosis for a long time.

The time varies based on dose of the antipsychotic and how long you've been taking them. By 2 months it should be completely out, assuming you were on pills not injections.

For me it was typically 1-3 weeks.

Also I was able to feel Dex just fine while on antipsychotics. I only noticed it blocked things like meth and LSD.

Some of this could be psychological.
Altered receptors would I guess take much longer to go back to their original state than how long the drug takes to get fully removed from the body.

Altered receptors would I guess take much longer to go back to their original state than how long the drug takes to get fully removed from the body.
True. The effect APs have on the brain is longer than it's half life. But for me it was never more than a 2-3 weeks until I could appreciate drugs again.