• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

How Long After Klonopin or Xanax Is It Safe To Drink Alcohol?

Lexx23

Bluelighter
I am scripted 3 mg klonopin (up to 4), and 2 mg xanax a day. The doctor told me I could drink six to eight hours after the klonopin, and three to four hours after the xanax. So far I am having no problems following these guidelines.

Given the long half-lives, why is this causing no problems? And why do people say the combo is so dangerous?

Don't drink any alcohol at all on such high doses of benzodiazepines.

Combo is dangerous because of potentially fatal respiratory depression.

Just don't do it. Aside from acute effects you risk increasing your benzo tolerance/dependence to put it in a simple way.
If you must, one glass only and very infrequently.

I am scripted 3 mg klonopin (up to 4), and 2 mg xanax a day. The doctor told me I could drink six to eight hours after the klonopin, and three to four hours after the xanax. So far I am having no problems following these guidelines.

Given the long half-lives, why is this causing no problems? And why do people say the combo is so dangerous?

Benzodiazepines bind to an allosteric site on GABA channels, which changes the shape of the channel and makes it easier for GABA to bind to the channel and open it up for chloride ions to flow past. When the chloride ions flow into the neuron, they hyperpolarise the neuron making it less likely to fire. If the neurons that control respiratory function are sufficiently hyperpolarised, they will not be able to transmit signals and the subject will not be able to breath. However benzodiazepines are relatively safe because their action is limited by how much GABA there is. Alcohol is a direct GABA agonist and can substitute for GABA, meaning that now all the channels that have benzodiazepines bound to them but were not previously opened can now be opened. That is why taking dozens of Valium tablets on their own will likely not kill you, but taking a few of them along with some alcohol can pose a fatal risk.

This isn't NSPD material, it belongs in Basic Drug Discussion

^How does the half-life aspect not meet neuroscience criteria. Couple posts up seems pretty weighty.

Don't drink any alcohol at all on such high doses of benzodiazepines.

Combo is dangerous because of potentially fatal respiratory depression.

Why would a doctor risk his job and freedom and tell me otherwise?