• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

How long after benzos can I drink alcohol?

jobe28

Bluelighter
Hey, I just took 30 mg of oxazepam (im using it to help me sleep). How long should I wait before I drink? (Eg if I wanted to go out and have a few beers)

It says on wikipedia the half life is four to 15 hours.. so how many half lifes should I wait.. ?

That's a very weak benzo and not considered a high dose. You could honestly go have a few beers in a few hours and be completely fine. I'd probably mix the two to get the most out of both since a few beers wouldn't do much to me and neither would 30mg oxazepam lol. But ill get looked down upon by the HR police if I offer that advice. 4 hours from now you will be in the clear :)

Thanks. Thats a relief to hear. So I assume youve mixed benzos and alcohol before?

Anyone else had experience mixing benzos and alcohol?

I have but its strongly discouraged because they really enhance each other and it's one of the more common causes of OD. So many factors contribute to BAC that miscalculating your metabolism can occur. Even when I've paced myself with alcohol I've sometimes gone from no buzz to stupid in a matter of minutes. There are safer alternatives to and better uses for benzos than that mix. Check out the mega thread for them.

Just go slow if you have never mixed them. Personally if I drink within 48 hours of Valium I black out and I never black out otherwise.

That's a very weak benzo and not considered a high dose. You could honestly go have a few beers in a few hours and be completely fine. I'd probably mix the two to get the most out of both since a few beers wouldn't do much to me and neither would 30mg oxazepam lol. But ill get looked down upon by the HR police if I offer that advice. 4 hours from now you will be in the clear :)
Why are you here, if you don't give a shit about harm reduction? OD is a forum for intermediate harm reduction..

I would wait a day, just to be safe. A black out is not funny and people blacked out from a normal doseaand 1-2 beer.

OD->BDD

@OVO, your statement is fucking stupid. Yea, most of us can combine CNS depressants for a long time and survive, but it's for the small percentage that drop dead that we advise on here against it, because it's a real possibility. And if you look at most drug overdoses, they were the combination of two or more depressants. We are not a 'police' force. What would our incentive be? Intimidate people into using drugs in a safe manner?

Can or should? You "can" have a couple beers immediately just be prepared to wake up in jail with an empty bank account wearing assless chaps. You should wait until the next day, past the higher end of the half life. You know, oxaz is one of the very few benzodiazepines I never got to sample. Sounds interesting. Enjoy.

Thanks. Thats a relief to hear. So I assume youve mixed benzos and alcohol before?

Anyone else had experience mixing benzos and alcohol?

Yeah but I wouldn't recommend it especially if you are planning to go out. There is a very high probability of having a blackout and I personally know one person who died from mixing alprazolam and booze and another who knocked out his upper front teeth by tripping over a curb.

When I did it, it was 1-2 drinks depending on the amount of temazepam I was taking and I NEVER left my apartment.

Ill give it a few days. Im kinda paranoid when it comes to possibly overdosing on stuff lol

It all comes down to tolerance. I am 35 yrs old- female, 147 weight, 5'5... I drink cheap vodka about every other day... I hate it, it's just for the buzz. I am also prescribed Xanax (blues). They are BOTH downers, and I can tell you from personal experience, that if you have amazing self control, then a few benzos mixed with a few drinks isn't going to kill you. However, you may steal, cheat, and not remember a thing! That's the bad part... It completely blocks your memory. If you overdo it- your respiratory system will fail. You have to be really careful with this subject because it's a fine line. You're not gonna remember the buzz anyway, so why take the chance right? Even if you just do a lil of each- you will be so relaxed, that you won't realize that "Oh just one more", may be your last :(

They are BOTH downers, and I can tell you from personal experience, that if you have amazing self control, then a few benzos mixed with a few drinks isn't going to kill you.

actually you cant say that, you can say it hasnt killed YOU yet, you have no idea what it will do to another person.

Why are you here, if you don't give a shit about harm reduction? OD is a forum for intermediate harm reduction..

I would wait a day, just to be safe. A black out is not funny and people blacked out from a normal doseaand 1-2 beer.

First off this is BDD not OD. Second off it's not that I don't give a shit about harm reduction Im not a daily user/contributor to this site for no reason, I just try to be more realistic then most. I know how dangerous mixing CNS depressants can be. But at the same time I was trying to explain to someone that in there case (daily user of a weaker benzo at not a particularly high dose) that having a few beers won't kill them. Especially since tolerance is obviously present. Maybe I should have chose my words differently.

It's never a good idea to mix BENZOs and alcohol, however with a low dose and a good few hours in between and only moderate drinking you're probably leaning towards being absolutely fine (there's NEVER any guarantee though, in the name of HR.).

You asked about experience mixing the two. I have experience lol but not of the sensible or recommended kind. I was taking upwards of 20-26mg of Xanax over a day plus a few hundred mg of oxy, then waking up and having baileys in my morning coffee (only one as I always had to drive) then a bottle or two of wine a night. Stupid but im very lucky to be alive to tell the tale. My husband used to stay awake watching me breathe and said sometimes I wojld stop for a bit, like sleep apnoea (which I don't have)..... But if you're more sensible than me and less reckless you should be ok.

If you're using it for sleep how come you don't have it closer to bed time? I haven't used that particular one so not familiar with how long it takes to act etc.