• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos How Likely is Occasional Benzo Use Causing My Sleep Problems?

Lovecraft

Bluelighter
About a year ago my doctor prescribed me Xanax for sleep issues. At this point, I'm taking it about twice a week on average. After a bad night of sleep, I'll take them the following night. Then I'll be okay for a couple nights before having another bad night of no sleep. So I'll take them the again the following night.

At this point, I'm wondering if it's possible that they are doing more harm than good? I'm planning on taking a break just to see but I'm curious if anyone has any insight about this. I'm not addicted to them in the sense that I get withdrawals between dosing. It's just the sleep issues.

Can a couple nights a week of benzo use for insomnia aggravate it?

Yes it's likely, even only 2 nights per week will eventually cause issues like this. It wouldn't happen right away, but over a period of months/years definitely once tolerance sets in.

It can probably be offset by healthy sleeping patterns or other helpful sleeping habits like exercise or nutrition.

Yes it's likely, even only 2 nights per week will eventually cause issues like this. It wouldn't happen right away, but over a period of months/years definitely once tolerance sets in.

It can probably be offset by healthy sleeping patterns or other helpful sleeping habits like exercise or nutrition.
My tolerance hasn't changed though. I would expect to see that go up but it's pretty steady.

Xanax is such a poor benzo to prescribe for sleep. Sure, it acts really quickly ( designed for panic attacks so the person can quickly get relief ) but 210 minutes later it's gone. Poof. So if you are a patient that wakes up after 3 and one half hours the tendency would be to re-dose to finish you up til morning.

I think you would get better relief from Clonazepam or Valium. They are longer acting and can technically get you through a full nights sleep. Or maybe zoplicone or zolpidem ( Z-drugs ) would be even better. They are hypnotics ( designed for sleep ) so maybe your Dr. will switch you.

See if he will because I think those will work better for you than xanax. I mean if you like the xanax that's fine..........it's just not the best med for insomnia.

Xanax is such a poor benzo to prescribe for sleep. Sure, it acts really quickly ( designed for panic attacks so the person can quickly get relief ) but 210 minutes later it's gone. Poof. So if you are a patient that wakes up after 3 and one half hours the tendency would be to re-dose to finish you up til morning.

I think you would get better relief from Clonazepam or Valium. They are longer acting and can technically get you through a full nights sleep. Or maybe zoplicone or zolpidem ( Z-drugs ) would be even better. They are hypnotics ( designed for sleep ) so maybe your Dr. will switch you.

See if he will because I think those will work better for you than xanax. I mean if you like the xanax that's fine..........it's just not the best med for insomnia.
It actually works really well for me, all night.

This pattern will very likely produce periods of rebound insomnia due to eventual desensitization of the GABA-A receptor to the effects of endogenous GABA. In an attempt to maintain a homeostatic balance, GABA-A receptors will reduce in sensitivity, so on the nights where no benzos are in the system, they'll be functioning on an impaired level.

Moreover, benzos suppress deep sleep, so in combination with the rebound insomnia when you don't take them, overall you are going to wind up poorly rested. Over time this takes a toll on the brain.

This pattern will very likely produce periods of rebound insomnia due to eventual desensitization of the GABA-A receptor to the effects of endogenous GABA. In an attempt to maintain a homeostatic balance, GABA-A receptors will reduce in sensitivity, so on the nights where no benzos are in the system, they'll be functioning on an impaired level.

Moreover, benzos suppress deep sleep, so in combination with the rebound insomnia when you don't take them, overall you are going to wind up poorly rested. Over time this takes a toll on the brain.
This is so true and people are just now finding this out for themselves.

Most people just " pass out " as opposed to falling asleep..........then wake up in the AM with cotton mouth and sure you slept all night ( hard ) but you didn't dream and any REM ya got wasn't near long enough.

Much like with alcohol.

How reversible is this with cessation?

How reversible is this with cessation?
Very reversible in my experience.
Just start taking less and less often (taper down) slowly until ya dont feel the need.
About a year ago my doctor prescribed me Xanax for sleep issues.
A year of use (even a couple nights a week) will still cause dependence issues even if it is mostly mental. Ya can just drop them now and see what happens but I still suggest a taper before quitting.
What plans do you have to replace the aprazolam if/when you stop taking them? For the original insomnia issue.

Very reversible in my experience.
Just start taking less and less often (taper down) slowly until ya dont feel the need.

A year of use (even a couple nights a week) will still cause dependence issues even if it is mostly mental. Ya can just drop them now and see what happens but I still suggest a taper before quitting.
What plans do you have to replace the aprazolam if/when you stop taking them? For the original insomnia issue.
I'm just going to drop them. No need to taper at all as I'm not having any real withdrawals. I don't have any replacement ideas to deal with the original insomnia issue, other than trying to employ sleep hygiene methods and my exercise routine. It really wasn't that much of a problem, especially knowing now that the xanax is what really exacerbated it. I should be fine.