• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

How Is the Education System Failing Us?

JohnsonE

Greenlighter
My English class here at college forced me to research the education system and after reading and browsing the internet I have come to the conclusion that the education system is setting students up for FAILURE. A very good article that explains a lot is, "School Is Bad for Children" by John Holt. In this article he explains that while in school, your ability to critically think, problem solve, and be creative is greatly diminished due to an outdated curriculum that is taught using outdated teaching methods in a building that stifles the creative minds and frowns upon individualism.

Here's what's wrong:
1) You are passively taught that you cannot be trusted to learn on your own outside of school. Mandatory attendance proves this
2) It does not matter what you want to learn about or what your passions or interests are. You will sit quietly and remember what we tell you you to remember. And don't worry about remembering any of the information after the test that you are taught because once you take the test you don't need it anymore.
3) Don't worry if you got an answer wrong, you won't have to figure it out or put in any sort of cognitive effort to solving that problem. Just raise your hand, ask the teacher for the right answer, and simply remember it for the next test. and then forget it after you take the test!
4) If you have a bad teacher, they will continue to be a bad teacher as they have very little to no job evaluation throughout their whole career. Especially when they get tenure.
5) The most exciting thing in the classroom that you can interact with is the other students. Unfortunately, you will be forced to sit next to them in silence and only speak to them when it is allowed. (schools today highly underestimate what students can learn simply from interacting with others)
6) Your individual image means nothing and you will rarely have a chance to stand out. To make friends, you will be forced to be a part of a clique and naturally bend to that cliques philosophy and ideals.
7) Students that fall behind are left behind, that is why America has the biggest gap between successful and non-successful students.
8 ) Standardized testing will determine how smart you are as far as the education system is concerned. Whether or not you are a good test-taker does not matter
9) College is expensive as shit

What foreign schools do instead:
1) Start school at an older age and spend the first few years helping students discover their passions and find out what motivates them as well as work on social skills and how to properly engage with the other students and be respectful. This also dictates the majority of what they will be studying which makes them more interested in and happy about their studies.
2) Students who start to fall behind are given intensive intervention to help them catch up
3) Grades are not given until high school
4) Less homework, but it has been found that even though they have less homework, they spend more of their time on schoolwork. This most likely has to do with the last part of #1
5) Better teachers (most have masters and the job market is very competitive)
6) Teachers are given frequent evaluations
7) No stigma with choosing a vocational career path instead of college.
8 ) Very little standardized testing
9) College is free

My question is why? WHY???!! The education system is so important to a countries success. It helps students find their place in society and when people feel like they have a place that they belong in society, they are less likely to rebel or cause crime and will be more efficient when working at their job with leads to an overall improved economy. This leads to less poverty and a healthier country. Most of my peers arrived in college and just like me, have no idea what they want to study. I blame the education system. For the better half of my life, I have asked myself what do I want to do for a living when I'm older and to this day I still cannot answer that question. I understand the process of reforming a countries whole education system is difficult and costly, but it would be worth it. It just blows my mind that our country is aware of just how terrible it is and they refuse to make it a priority. There are so many problems that stem from our education system and we need to see reform in our education before America can start seeing positive changes.

Now look up Horace Mann. They were training children to grow up and work which at the time was mainly factory work. "Instilling values such as obedience to authority, promptness in attendance, and organizing the time according to bell ringing helped students prepare for future employment." (wikipedia). There was no room for individuality or initiative, at least not among the lower classes.

Now look up Horace Mann. They were training children to grow up and work which at the time was mainly factory work. "Instilling values such as obedience to authority, promptness in attendance, and organizing the time according to bell ringing helped students prepare for future employment." (wikipedia). There was no room for individuality or initiative, at least not among the lower classes.

It makes a lot of sense why Horace Mann set up the education system the way he did and you're right, at the time there was no room for such things, but that was almost 200 years ago. At that time, there was no research or data to show the negative effects that resulted from that type of schooling. Mann was simply trying to provide a better education system for his country, which he did in my opinion. My only problem is that now we KNOW that the education system is screwed up. We have all this research and data that proves how ineffective the system is and nothing is done about it because a handful of people decide that it isn't a big enough priority. (Thank you for bringing Horace Mann to my attention, I actually had not researched where our curriculum and schooling system originated from, but now I know haha)

Some of us believe that even at the time it was a form of class warfare, not good intentions. But whichever way you go on that, we can agree that in our current times with our current technology it's just not appropriate to continue the education system in that way. Enjoy your research!

Ahhh I see now the point you were trying to make (forgive my lack of further research) that's really interesting to think about actually and makes it even more upsetting that we still continue to use a system created by such malevolent motives!

"School Is Bad for Children" by John Holt........ outdated curriculum that is taught using outdated teaching methods......

LMFAO :D I googled that article, which was first printed in 1969. How can you cite an article from 1969 and in the next breath, complain about outdated curriculum and teaching methods? The 45 year old article is outdated.

Here's what's wrong:
1) You are passively taught that you cannot be trusted to learn on your own outside of school. Mandatory attendance proves this
2) It does not matter what you want to learn about or what your passions or interests are. You will sit quietly and remember what we tell you you to remember. And don't worry about remembering any of the information after the test that you are taught because once you take the test you don't need it anymore.
3) Don't worry if you got an answer wrong, you won't have to figure it out or put in any sort of cognitive effort to solving that problem. Just raise your hand, ask the teacher for the right answer, and simply remember it for the next test. and then forget it after you take the test!
4) If you have a bad teacher, they will continue to be a bad teacher as they have very little to no job evaluation throughout their whole career. Especially when they get tenure.
5) The most exciting thing in the classroom that you can interact with is the other students. Unfortunately, you will be forced to sit next to them in silence and only speak to them when it is allowed. (schools today highly underestimate what students can learn simply from interacting with others)
6) Your individual image means nothing and you will rarely have a chance to stand out. To make friends, you will be forced to be a part of a clique and naturally bend to that cliques philosophy and ideals.
7) Students that fall behind are left behind, that is why America has the biggest gap between successful and non-successful students.
8 ) Standardized testing will determine how smart you are as far as the education system is concerned. Whether or not you are a good test-taker does not matter
9) College is expensive as shit

What foreign schools do instead:
1) Start school at an older age and spend the first few years helping students discover their passions and find out what motivates them as well as work on social skills and how to properly engage with the other students and be respectful. This also dictates the majority of what they will be studying which makes them more interested in and happy about their studies.
2) Students who start to fall behind are given intensive intervention to help them catch up
3) Grades are not given until high school
4) Less homework, but it has been found that even though they have less homework, they spend more of their time on schoolwork. This most likely has to do with the last part of #1
5) Better teachers (most have masters and the job market is very competitive)
6) Teachers are given frequent evaluations
7) No stigma with choosing a vocational career path instead of college.
8 ) Very little standardized testing
9) College is free

I could poke all kinds of holes in these two lists but I don't currently have the time or patience to do so.

My question is why? WHY???!! The education system is so important to a countries success. It helps students find their place in society and when people feel like they have a place that they belong in society, they are less likely to rebel or cause crime and will be more efficient when working at their job with leads to an overall improved economy. This leads to less poverty and a healthier country. Most of my peers arrived in college and just like me, have no idea what they want to study. I blame the education system. For the better half of my life, I have asked myself what do I want to do for a living when I'm older and to this day I still cannot answer that question. I understand the process of reforming a countries whole education system is difficult and costly, but it would be worth it. It just blows my mind that our country is aware of just how terrible it is and they refuse to make it a priority. There are so many problems that stem from our education system and we need to see reform in our education before America can start seeing positive changes.

Don't blame the system because you and some friends went to college with no clear goal in mind. Where I went to public high school, we had plenty of opportunities to explore these things before graduation rolled around. Some of us made plans for our future and others made plans to get drunk.

That being said, if the system is to change, we need to get the corrupt politicians (repetitively redundant, I know) out of Washington. 40 percent of congressmen are millionaires and who do you think they represent? You and me or their millionaire friends? I know it is not a crime to be a millionaire but it is not a proper representation of who their constituents are. All the politicians care about is money. Can you believe there are still lawmakers who want to have creationism taught in science class? It's insane.

LMFAO :D I googled that article, which was first printed in 1969. How can you cite an article from 1969 and in the next breath, complain about outdated curriculum and teaching methods? The 45 year old article is outdated.

I could poke all kinds of holes in these two lists but I don't currently have the time or patience to do so.

Don't blame the system because you and some friends went to college with no clear goal in mind. Where I went to public high school, we had plenty of opportunities to explore these things before graduation rolled around. Some of us made plans for our future and others made plans to get drunk.

That being said, if the system is to change, we need to get the corrupt politicians (repetitively redundant, I know) out of Washington. 40 percent of congressmen are millionaires and who do you think they represent? You and me or their millionaire friends? I know it is not a crime to be a millionaire but it is not a proper representation of who their constituents are. All the politicians care about is money. Can you believe there are still lawmakers who want to have creationism taught in science class? It's insane.

The article is still relevant because we are still using the same school system that was adopted nearly 200 years ago. Which is the point I am trying to make, an article written that long ago should not be relevant, but it is and that is the unfortunate part. Also, I would love to hear what you have to say in return to my arguments (honestly, I would). I think I've made some valid points and I would have no problem elaborating on them.

My problem with your post is that it's pretty much all qualitative and not quantitative. It's merely your opinion, not backed by any facts. Now, if you were to cite some sources or what have you, we might be able to get somewhere. Otherwise, this is merely an opinion-fest. There's nothing wrong with that, and maybe that's all you wanted, but I'm just saying.

I will say teachers, at least where I went to school (Florida), were evaluated every year. I'm not sure where you got it from that they don't get evaluated.

Ok, here is what it is:
Society needs Working Bees (aka. slaves), trained Working Bees (aka slaves with attitude). elitists (aka students aka people who think they are big by being slaves).
Education system is not failing, it's providing. Providing the society for it's needs.

Further on reading Bakunin, Marx or modern anticapitilists.

Proof me wrong, I give you my life.

You are looking at the system and asking yourself "how should the system be to achieve the goals"? But what you are missing is, that you are thinking as an idealist. not as an materialist, so you don't understand their goal by thinking "a real democracy should be that and this". Fucking bla bla. Democracy is what it is. Look at it, as it is, not how it is propagated in their books. No state wants really independent thinkers. Free ghosts are always better off dead.
What you should ask yourself is.
How does capitalism work?
How does a state work?
Why has there to be a difference between education levels?

Last edited: