• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

How is smoking pot perceived socially where you live?

I love these answers, especially the stories about countries outside the US. It's really fascinating to me how different European countries can vary so much in their outlook on cannabis.

I think, despite legality, it does highly depend on who you ask. I live in a place where it is openly legal, and had been decriminalized for years before that. I had an ounce on a hike nearly ten years ago and got busted by a park ranger, and all I received was a $100 fine paid to the parks service, no official law-enforcement involvement. That doesn't change the fact that there is a very large senior citizen community in my area that absolutely despises it, and constantly complains about it (my town is like the Florida of the rockies - everyone moves here to retire). The county sheriff is a tea-party conservative who constantly petitions the state to repeal the law, with no success. I've been to Amsterdam several times, and even though it has been "legal" there for years, it is still harder to obtain and grow than where I live. It is legal to grow 6 flowering plants at a time per person here so even if you aren't near a shop, you can just ask 5 random people where to get it and chances are you'll hit on one (you'll probably get at least one dirty look in the process, too)

I love these answers, especially the stories about countries outside the US. It's really fascinating to me how different European countries can vary so much in their outlook on cannabis.

Yeah, what shocked me the most was moving to Oslo, six hours away by car, where the cannabisculture is waaaaaay different; here, most people I worked with (two jobs in six years) smoked and their friends smoked as well. People who didn't smoke had a more liberal view on cannabis than back home.
In Oslo I could score weed (although most of it shitty) all over the city. Every part of the city has a corner or space for pushers. I could also walk down the street or smoke a doobie in the park with no problems.
Not as relaxed as Cali, but damn smoother than most Swedish citys.

It's very accepted in my state, less stigma than cigarettes, at least in my age group. I know more people who use or have at least tried cannabis than those who haven't. Most people I know who smoke do so daily or several times a week, and everyone in my immediate family is pretty cool with it. Crazy how much it varies by location, it isn't even seen as a "real drug" here, it's basically up there with alcohol (which is also VERY accepted in my area lol)

The U.S. having 23 states now with legalized medical mj, 4 states and the nations capital have legalized recreational weed, and 19 states (DC as well)have decriminalized street mj to the effect you get a ticket for possession of smaller amounts of smoke. At least on this policy our government is finally moving in the right direction and I believe with in the next decade it will be legalized recreational in at least 75% of the country,which is something if you asked me in the 90's I would have told you it would never be legal!

It's amazing how fast things have changed. As early as 2009 I remember having a conversation with my friend in which we both agreed that weed would never be legal recreationally in the same way that booze is, at least not in the USA and probably not in the world generally-speaking. I'm glad to say that I was very wrong about that.

I live in Louisiana about 50 miles north of New Orleans, and its mostly middle aged on up who still look at it as a "drug drug" like keeping it up there as even as far as Meth would be for example. But in the same token I just recently started smoking again and I totally forget at times that it is still illegal here. I know MOST not all there are still some ignorant people that are under middle aged that look at it wrong but alot look at it as just a plant. Law enforcement here in Louisiana on marijuana has a big impact on why its still demonized here.

In Scotland it is quite common for people to smoke weed. This being said there is still a stigma surrounding the issue. In part this is caused by the current generation in power if you like. In general their attitude towards it is fairly negative which I believe is caused by a different attitude towards the drug which existed 20/30 years ago in this country. The younger generation is no longer affected by the scaremongering tactics of the government. Because of this it is still something which people tend to hide so the kind of liberalism which now exists in other parts of the world isn't exactly common place in the British society even though a good number of people smoke it. I do believe these attitudes are changing and hopefully within the next decade public option will have changed and the stigma surrounding the subject will be broken down.

That really is so crazy... would be funny if it wasn't so sad. I think many people wear blinders when it comes to prescription drugs and alcohol because of the social acceptance. Prescription drugs are even less questioned because a doctor said they should take them. heaven forbid if you smoke a little pot though lol.. I definitely don't think pot is harmless or without consequence but in comparison, very mild.

some people must learn the hard way

I find the laws sort of strange in Kentucky. It is somewhat socially acceptable (however, there are lots of tweakers and junkies too...even within positions that would call for that sort of thing to be considered corrupt)...it is the number one cash crop...some of it grown well, some not so well. Basically, although it's somewhat socially acceptable (at least from some of the people I've met), it is still hush-hush and the law enforcement is still concerned about it. There is a large epidemic of opiate use here, as well as meth use. The same can be said for Indiana, however, it is a little less socially acceptable overall and stricter law enforcement.

I found Northern California (when I visited 10 years ago), to be the most progressive state I've been to as far as cannabis goes.

^ the entire American west coast, from San Diego to Anchorage is pretty much the vanguard of progressive marijuana policy, with the exception of Colorado.

PA: it's illegal but recently we just decriminalized it in Pittsburgh. Honestly from my expierence the police care and crazy anti drug advocates care. For the most part if your not being reckless and minding your own noones gonna say anything. I live in a walking community (everywhere I go be it friends or out to eat or the gas station or my local dealer) so everything is withing 10-15mins walking for me. I like to walk around and smoke a joint a lot and I've never had problems

There's so much of it where I live that most people are sick of it. It's kind of funny actually. Especially people who grew up here, their parents smoked weed, of course they don't wanna smoke weed, who wants to be like their parents. Smoking cigs is frowned upon here, but not herb.

I wouldn't mind being like my parents. (Who, coincidentally, smoke weed)

I wouldn't mind being like my parents. (Who, coincidentally, smoke weed)

Yeah, these days, most of under 40 aren't even as well off as our parents (and not much chance of getting to the same level of economic security). So in that area, I wouldn't mind being like my parents (advanced degrees and stable careers).

I live in Los Angeles California and its extremely common here, Weed shops almost every block. Extremely socially accepted and tons of potheads

Weed acceptance is a mixed bag here. Of course it's not legal. I don't tell people my business. I like weed too much, but don't associate with many other tokers.

only the older folk have a problem with it. that's been my experience mostly anywhere i've been.

they'd give us 'looks' and shit but it's not a problem among the younger generations as practically everyone smokes weed. those that don't probably got a bad experience with it or just don't like the psychedelic nature of THC.

I'm from a small, rural town in North Carolina. I can't speak for the larger cities, but here it's looked down upon in general. If a cop even smells it on you, it usually leads to them asking to search your vehicle. It's still categorized as a hard drug to many, but the stigma is lessening as the years go by. For now even an occasional toke can lead to being called a "druggie/junkie" and you only share your habit with your tight inner circle. One day we will catch up, but it won't be in 2016. Lol

I am from Serbia, that is a small state in Europe. Here, all drugs are forbitten, including pot. It is not legal even in medical purposes, but i've heard it will be soon. I know a lot of people use it, and there are lots of dealers. It is all kind of hidden, but really everyone knows what is going on. People who are smoking weed are seen as junkies and are watched in disqus.
Just to see how obsolete my state is, just a few days ago, they removed the law that forbid selling alcohol after 10pm

It's a pretty broad climate towards it here. There's a huge population of people who use but also a pretty large population of those who don't. I specifically know more people who do because of friend groups, birds of a flock... you know what I mean. But like I originally said, it's definitely a diverse town towards opinion.