• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

How is smoking pot perceived socially where you live?

I live in LA too - great community climate here as far as weed goes. However, when you travel out into other parts of California, you run the risk of finding communities that aren't so supportive/approving. Since the state issued the California marijuana regulation bill, smaller communities have been exploiting an error in the language to ban weed growing for medical purposes, even though the state legalized it.

Where I live now, people are quite conservative about it for the most part. The younger generation is often relatively open minded or into it. However, the older generation is pretty much against it. The cops and the legal system also takes a pretty hard stance against it, and if you are caught with weed......... you end up doing an actual jail term for it 8o They will literally lock people up for like a couple weeks in the county jail just for having a small amount of pot on them. Then, even after people get out....... they still keep tabs on them, with parole officers showing up at people's houses at like two in the morning to make sure they aren't high. It's absolutely insane 8o There is medical weed though, but it's difficult to get a script for.

Where I used to live...... socially it was semi-accepted, yet still looked down upon by some of the older generation and middle aged folks. The younger generation accepted it mostly, with some exceptions. The cops really couldn't have cared less there unless you were driving high or smoking it in public. Otherwise, they didn't give a rats ass what you did. Even with other drugs, they didn't really go after people just for using them unless they were driving, having them in public view, or going ape-shit on them. When people did manage to get caught with weed, they'd just get a 6 month probationary period and a fine. No jail time or any crap like that.

I live in Northern California as well. I am a fairly experienced user of cannabis, and most of my friends are users as well. However, I do live in a rather conservative town, but really the old republicans seem to be the only people who actually give a damn about people smoking pot. Otherwise, most people are not too offended by it.

Shackleford, are you in one of the cities that is trying to ban marijuana before March 1st? I just read about the Merced nuns and was pretty shocked by how easily it's happening.

I live in Upstate New York near a real liberal college area. It's decriminalized at the state level, a one hundred dollar fine. There is a stupid part of that same law, that says if it's burning in public view it becomes a misdemeanor though. I just started going to college in the fall, so I get student loan money. I can't smoke in the house, so I usually toke in my car in the drive way. I've had no problems so far, just try to keep the music lower at night when toking. It's not really looked down upon in this area at all, the only drug people seem to have issues with are meth.

in Ontario most Crowds WHO USE it unless they do not then it is more acceptable that getting your ass drunk and shit faced and hammered out your mind Vs RIPPED out your Mind from MASS BONG TOKES of AMAZINGLY POTENT CANNABIS BUDS!

I'm from a small, rural town in North Carolina. I can't speak for the larger cities, but here it's looked down upon in general. If a cop even smells it on you, it usually leads to them asking to search your vehicle. It's still categorized as a hard drug to many, but the stigma is lessening as the years go by. For now even an occasional toke can lead to being called a "druggie/junkie" and you only share your habit with your tight inner circle. One day we will catch up, but it won't be in 2016. Lol

I'm from a small NC town too and cops don't give two fucks about weed. I have been obviously stoned outta my mind talking to cops with a backpack no doubt reeking of weed and sent on my way atleast a few times. I've heard cops say shit like "we can smell the weed but we aren't here for that" so many times. Cops are cool as hell here I coulda got an open container charge just yesterday and the cop just told me not to do it again.

In my part of germany weed is extremely easy to get because of how close it is to the netherlands. Its still illegal and many people will look down on you if they know youre a pot smoker. Fortunately theres also a lot of stoners or people that just dont care

My Montreal neighborhood definitely smells like weed. I regularly see people smoking weed on the street or in their backyards and I sometimes smoke in public myself. I don't think it is frowned upon here. And soon it will be perfectly legal :)

Washignton is full of addicts and less than half are stoners.... damn heroin!
edit: changed junkies to addicts

Last edited:
Hehehe, I live in Colorado. I'm sure everyone knows the answer to that. =D
But honestly, I feel like it's becoming...kind of an annoying thing. People are especially starting to have an attitude towards out-of-state potheads who have moved here, because they're causing people to lose their housing. There are people who come with NOTHING because of the weed, and are literally living on the streets. I think they have their own social culture too. But us native stoners are getting kinda cliquey and it's honestly a bit obnoxious.
Aside from that, it's socially big here. Kind of like how cigarette smoking was in the early 1900s. There are cafes, lounges, and restaurants with smoking patios specifically for weed smokers. There are restaurants and wineries trying to do pairing menus and wines meant for drinking with marijuana. There are even dispensaries that give discounts, free merch, and complimentary bud to people with Colorado I.Ds. And most doctors here who are able to give out red cards, do not give a shit about your medical conditions. They'll just give you a card, even if they know you're making something up. It's great.
People grow their own weed, people sell, people cook with it, people trade it, people pay others with it, there are headshops EVERYWHERE. I would encourage everyone to vacation here. Just smoke all your weed when you're in state, and don't fucking move here. Please.

If its impossible to grow regular cigarette tobacco in most locations and knowing how addictive it is compare to marijuana. To knowing where pot can grow easier than tobacco. I can see why most of our government and the States are treating the differences unappealing and with the Christianity in the U.S. overseeing quality control being a beef-up against those that smoke any sort of drug being-a-problem.

The deal is: with what I have studied about how these known chemicals were first discovered and how we all use to live by campfires "off & on" where we needed to stay warm, or needed light at night, to cooking and preparing foods. Things have changed so much that the world forgot what "just regular wood and tree sap" did for us all! All those that lived some several hundred years ago, throughout the ages all would "much rather" have a camp with fire. Due to feeling the awesome warmth. But I had discovered through many campouts that I enjoyed being by a campfire due to its vapors of fumes and smell (scent) because there are substances in the wood and dried kindling (from various dried plants found nearby to dried wood in varieties around) that could be used to help get a fire started to helping feel the appeasement of being part of that warmth in so much. That I believe the world forgot how to live in peace.

Although if we were all allowed to have campfires on a regular basis. Then pollution would be quite stronger than most homes put out when burning other fuels. When the American Indians lived in huts and tents - they just needed only so much fuel to burn. But with our covetous need for more things and more space, we are actually consuming more fuel than most need today.

But if peace was more extravagant back in the past due to the campfire fumes. Then perhaps we need to look at each other a different way. Especially when our fire is perhaps the size of a rolled joint or paper-wrapped cigarette to electronic.

Utah is against smokers puffing and advertising cigarettes in most public places today.

Arkansas: More of a closed society, have to care about cops and real shitty schwag at heady prices if your not careful. Everything feels a little more desperate, violent and benzoed out... It was years before I was accepted and started meeting people. Think the religious/political/social element conspires to make things a little closer to how they say things are. Still it's a pretty friendly place and I'm well taken care of these days. Still: Lots of cheap pills, lots of tweakers, angry poor, lots of large rebel flags waving from trucks, less shame on macho predators. . . makes me feel like a faggy teenager in the 90s again.

I went to college up there, God do I remember pot culture there... I had a roommate who first introduced us to LSD and thus a smaller circle in a town over from where we lived, his dealers always had amazing pot and fair prices, and could usually get us acid or MDMA if we were looking... then outta nowhere one day he broke off relations with us. No more good pot or acid, we were cut out of the local hippy scene just like that. Going back to college kid dealers really blew... high prices and sub-par weed imported from Dallas... I ended up just saving my money and buying all my acid/weed from my home-town when I'd visit on breaks.

The culture there surrounding drug use was pretty open, I think if you've been to Arkiesas you know what town I lived in, it was a great live music scene up there, the drinking street was rife with hippies, hot college girls, racist frat boys... quite the melting pot. Anyways, I must stick out as a druggie or something, because people would come up to me at parties and at bars and even the bouncers would point me out sometimes to people and be like, "That guy has to smoke weed, go ask him for some," and I found that odd, I've always tried to look low profile... but yeah, jist of the story is, up there, if you know the right people, the drug scene is vibrant and kicking. If you don't, you have to settle for high priced mids and fake-acid tabs.

I live in the suburbs now again with my folks, down further south, and weed is pretty frowned upon by all the uppity Christian whites here. All the teens/young adults I know around here toke, hell, I can get the neighbor's kid in trouble by smoking weed out back and having his mom smell, then she assumes it was him. The folks on my street used to blame me for some reason for supposedly turning their kids onto pot, when these kids are 5+ years younger than me, why the fuck would I hang with them? So yeah, the 'burbs are pretty hostile to pot, but the kids themselves aren't. i still smell pot out back of the cheaper bars around here, but it's much less open and people have to look over their shoulders round here. I get so sketched just walking someplace with weed in my pocket.

You guys up in legal/medical states have no clue how bad it can get. I know my fair share of people who've gone to jail over minor possession charges. The law is very much hostile to us stoners down here, even though every person I know under 30 tokes. It'll take a few decades, but i bet you we'll be more like the West coast as the older generation croaks and can't oppress us any longer.

Toke on brothers and sisters.

Just like shooting heroin :) I am in Georgia and for about 100 grams of weed you can go to prison for 7-14 years. They just changed the law where you can have up to 50 grams and reduced the harsh jail time's so things are going good. The younger population knows what's up with weed though so if you are a local you can find weed and get high and not get caught but if you are visiting the country stay away from drug's or find someone local if and they can score pharm drug's for you benzo's are legal and gabapentin the highest abused drug's here right after opiate's.

I'm in Washington state, seattle specifically. Generally pot smoking isn't looked down upon or anything, and cops don't really hassle people for smoking weed. as a matter of fact, i was stopped by a police officer on a bicycle about six months ago. i was smoking bud out of a glass pipe as i was walking down the sidewalk. So anyway, I was given a $27 ticket for smoking in public...just like a drinking in public ticket. he let me keep the pot and pipe, which i thought was cool. i think prison for pot is absolutely insane and the war on drugs needs to end!!!!!