• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids How is Loperamide metabolized?

evo4ever

Bluelighter
Hey all.

Just a quick one.. Does anyone know how Loperamide is metabolized? You'd think it would be via the Cytochrome P450 pathway but I can't find any info to suggest this. Also does anyone know which protein is involved in hindering Loperamide's absorption into the bloodstream in the GI tract? Cheers guys.

^that should answer most of your questions.

not sure if this was included but,
When taken therapeutic doses, loperamide Does not cause euphoria or analgesia. It has poor oral bioavailability and does not readily cross the blood-brain barrier due to p-glycoprotein efflux.
P-glycoprotein (P-gp) is a transporter that removes agents from cells once they have crossed the cell membrane. It protects the organism from potentially harmful substances as it excludes them from systemic absorption in the gut and penetration into the brain. P-gp acts as a “bouncer” at the blood-brain barrier, keeping loperamide out of the CNS.

And it may have anti Covid-19 if this in vitro research has any weight to it. Although taking massive doses of loperamide isn’t wise on many levels.

-GC

^that should answer most of your questions.

not sure if this was included but,
When taken therapeutic doses, loperamide Does not cause euphoria or analgesia. It has poor oral bioavailability and does not readily cross the blood-brain barrier due to p-glycoprotein efflux.
P-glycoprotein (P-gp) is a transporter that removes agents from cells once they have crossed the cell membrane. It protects the organism from potentially harmful substances as it excludes them from systemic absorption in the gut and penetration into the brain. P-gp acts as a “bouncer” at the blood-brain barrier, keeping loperamide out of the CNS.

Quinine inhibits Pgp resulting in upto 3-fold higher exposure to Loperamide, and according to my research the Cytochrome P450 does play a major part in the BA of Loperamide so good old Grapefruit would increase BA. I can imagine co-administering Quinine and Grapefruit would significantly increase ur exposure to Loperamide resulting in central effects at lower doses of Lope.

I would like to test this but Quinine is quite hard to get hold of. I definitely know Grapefruit juice inhibits CYP3A4 and CYP2D6 because I've tested it on Oxycodone which resulted in a more profound Histamine response and a longer half-life.

Last edited:
Quinine inhibits Pgp resulting in upto 3-fold higher exposure to Loperamide, and according to my research the Cytochrome P450 does play a major part in the BA of Loperamide so good old Grapefruit would increase BA. I can imagine co-administering Quinine and Grapefruit would significantly increase ur exposure to Loperamide resulting in central effects at lower doses of Lope.

I would like to test this but Quinine is quite hard to get hold of. I definitely know Grapefruit juice inhibits CYP3A4 and CYP2D6 because I've tested it on Oxycodone which resulted in a more profound Histamine response and a longer half-life.
Honestly though, is lope really worth it?! I wouldn’t waste my time on lope.

And it may have anti Covid-19 if this in vitro research has any weight to it. Although taking massive doses of loperamide isn’t wise on many levels.

-GC

May be a coincidence, but I use a of Loperamide when I run out of opioids and I had a mild version of Corona. Maybe it was milder because I was on all that Lope?