How hard is it to take 100$

UnanimousCash

Bluelighter
Just wondering how hard other people think it is to take an item of 100$ value in comparison to something of little concern. Whether it be a clothing item, jewelry or an electronic device. Just curious on other people experiences and thoughts.

If it's for addiction or hard drugs the person would have very little resistance doing this if they know they can get away from it.

I know people who when they were addicted to hard drugs had zero issues with stealing anything they could get, even from family members to fund their drug habit.

I grew up with someone who is a kleptomaniac and pathological liar, who would steal my stuff, and other people's stuff without question. So I find people who steal to be people who I do not want anything to do with.

I’ve never stolen anything from family or friends. That’s a line I’m not willing to cross. I have a difficult time feeling sorry for big corporations though. They cheat their workers out of a fair wage. Drive smaller businesses out. So if someone wants to take the initiative and the risk, oh well. That’s just me.

As for prices, I don’t think it makes much difference in principle. You are taking something that isn’t yours. That’s the hurdle you have to jump over, morally. Common people get stepped on and taken from all the time. So if it’s a nickel or a hundred dollars, I’m not sure it matters.

I have a moral problem with taking anything that belongs to someone else. The monetary value would have nothing to do with it. You have no idea what the personal value of something is for the person you are taking it from. I have a collection of heart shaped stones I've found over my lifetime, shells and animal bones I've picked up and empty bird's nests that I have collected. They have more value to me than anything but someone else would find them valueless. By contrast I have a string of pearls that someone gave me long ago that are worth a few hundred dollars. I never wear them and tbh I don't value them at all.

What amazes me is that anyone would feel that his or her need for an object trumps (ugh, the ruined word....:\) the owner's need for it. I have more of a problem with the rationalizations for stealing than I do with the actual stealing. Stealing, like lying, has many variations, many different root causes.

My guess is the OP is talking about shoplifting.

But yeah, stealing from individuals is a different thing. Like herbavore said, you never know what something means to someone. I was on vacation once at the beach, and I spent time all week collecting tiny bits of coral and shell that were really pretty. I was going to make a necklace for my then-girlfriend with it. But then one of the cleaning staff took them. Really bummed me out, even though I didn't spend any money on them. I did spend a lot of time and they meant something to me. And imagine if you had, say, a pocket knife that was all you had left of your grandpa, or something, and someone stole it. That could/would be devastating even though maybe it's not worth anything monetarily.

A lot can be justified by the mind of someone suffering from a substance use disorder. When someone is dealing with physical dependence and is risking going into WDs, emotions are similar to that of someone facing danger or even life threatening situations. The brain can start craving drugs like it does food or sex, or even more than food or sex.

I think it all depends on the individuals perceived need. Personally I had other ways for paying for my addiction so I never felt compelled to risk stealing something but I took many other risks that were in many ways much more dangerous but completely justified in my mind at the time.

Most people would probably think that selling all your personal belongings for a fraction of their value for a high that is only going to last maybe a few hours is insane and unimaginable, but it happens. I don't think anyone really plans on things like that. I have a friend who has two felonies for breaking and entering from two separate charges. Each time he spent +/- 6 months in jail, first time he was out for maybe 6-8months. I doubt he would have done it either time if he hadn't been stuck on H.

First off let me say that I do not have an addiction and am not stealing to get easy money. Next off I agree, stealing from other people is a scummy things to do and I do not condone it either. I also figure the value of something g wouldn't really affect the ability to take someone's personal belongings. I am Solely wondering about large stores and cooperations, like Walmart for example. Like the other day I needed batteries and was able to walk in and walk out with no problems since they didn't have any tag that could trigger an alarm. I am just curious at how much more difficult it is for someone to walk out of a store with say some headphones or a watch like $100+, something that could possibly trigger an alarm, than something worthless and low risk like batteries. Thanks to anyone who will share

I don't think we are here to assist you in committing a crime... if that's not the case then sorry, but it really sounds to me like you are asking for advice on how to get away with stealing items with a high price tag. I was a little skeptical based on your first post, but your second post makes it sound even more like you are looking for advice and methods for shoplifting expensive items.

If I am wrong, forgive me for the accusation, but I can not see any other reason why you would be asking for this type of advice/insight..

Yeah, I thought he was talking about a moral difficulty...not asking for pointers. The second post does seem sketchy.

First off let me say that I do not have an addiction and am not stealing to get easy money.

I kinda wish you did. It would be a much better justification.

Why would you steal if you didn't have too? This isn't really a moral judgement. I don't really have a moral problem with stealing from places like Walmart. I just don't understand why you would unless you had too. Too much potential for headache. If I can just pay for it I'd rather just pay for it.

Anyhow. We can't help you commit crime on bluelight.

Here is the argument my mom gave me when I came home with, "Why would it be wrong to steal from corporations when they steal from people, underpay people and knowingly use near-slave and actual slave labor to get many of their cheap products?"
Mom: "Because that cost always gets passed on to the consumer and the poorest consumers then suffer the cost increases."

And that is true they do not just absorb shoplifting losses; they hire guards and install expensive anti-theft systems and they increase prices to cover all that plus the actual losses from stolen merchandise.Who pays? The underclass mostly.

^Yeah, she still is pretty insightful at 88.:) Another thing I heard a LOT when I was growing up and complaining about something was,"where did you ever get the idea that life is fair?"