• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

How exactly does the time release system work with Oxycontin's ?

boundforglorywt

Bluelighter
Hello all,

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'm curious on exactly how the time release system works on the (OP) Oxycontin's? Say if I was to take an OP 80 MG would I get say, 40 MG right away and then the rest over the 12 hour period? Or like 10mg every hour? I would appreciate any answers. Thanks so much for your time! :)

MODS: if this is in the wrong section could you please direct me to the correct section, thank you!

No you wouldn't get 40mg right away, you'd get a constant flow of the oxy during the 12h although I find it takes a couple hours before you actually start to feel it properly.

Well, Purdue call the OxyContin extended release mechanism "bi-phasic absorption." All they've really given away is that about 1/3 of the tablet is released into your system immediately and the rest is absorbed slowly over the 12 or so hours that the tablet lasts. I think whoever invented these things is keeping a tight lid over how they're assembled, so people can't decipher how to bypass the "AcroContin tamper-resistant mechanism."

OxyContin controlled-release tablets contain oxycodone HCl and are prepared using the AcroContin delivery system, which is an improvement upon the Contin system. The AcroContin system provides a biphasic absorption profile due to both an immediate release of drug within one hour, which cannot be achieved using the Contin system, and a prolonged release over 12 hours. This system uses a dual-controlled matrix consisting of 2 hydrophobic polymers (ammonio methacrylate copolymer). After ingestion, the GI fluid dissolves the tablet coating, exposing the hydrophobic acrylic matrix. An initial amount of oxycodone (~30-40% of the respective dose) is immediately released upon contact with the GI fluid, which begins channeling into the pores of the tablet matrix. This immediate-release component is much greater than that of Avinza (~10% of the respective dose). As GI fluid enters the tablet matrix, it dissolves the entrapped drug, which slowly diffuses out of the matrix pores. Oxycodone release from the tablets is pH independent, which allows for a uniform release throughout the GI tract. Since the matrix is hydrophobic and does not dissolve, patients should be advised that they may pass empty tablets or "ghosts" in the stool or via colostomy, and that this is not a concern since the active ingredient has already been released from the tablet.

You get around 1/3rd of the pill instantly released, and the rest is slowly pumped into your system over the course of 12 hours, however it's really around 7-8 hours.

You do feel an instant hit if you're not very tolerant to opiates or have take a break etc. i had one of the best oxy highs by just swallowing the pills whole once. It's strange.

I believe it's called the push and pull system...Or at least that is the complicated make up of the new hydromorhone pills.

You get around 1/3rd of the pill instantly released, and the rest is slowly pumped into your system over the course of 12 hours, however it's really around 7-8 hours.

Yeah, the actual length of time the effects lasts seems to vary from person to person and depend on dosage, it's often not a full 12 hrs. I wouldn't say it is "instantly released", I know you just meant like an IR pill (which is kind of a misnomer anyway, it just means it's a regular as opposed to extended release pill), but just to be clear for anyone reading, it doesn't hit you instantly. It does seem to take a while to be absorbed and to notice effects.

I believe the definition of time release is a lie. The pill is dissolved completely in your stomach and the chemical itself doesn't release any slower than oxycodone. Milligram for milligram, oxycontin is just a stronger drug than oxycodone.

I believe the definition of time release is a lie. The pill is dissolved completely in your stomach and the chemical itself doesn't release any slower than oxycodone. Milligram for milligram, oxycontin is just a stronger drug than oxycodone.

This thread is really old, but I want to mention that this isn't true. I don't think you'll be able to find the exact chemistry behind their product, but it's some sort of polymer matrix that controls the rate of diffusion accross a barrier. mg for mg it is not stronger, and if anything, oxycontin would be slightly weaker if 100% of the drug doesnt diffuse.

Since oxytocin is a polypeptide (made up of a relatively small set of approx. 25 amino acids), enzymes always present in the blood stream would "digest/inactivate" it in minutes, max. And since the body and the neural synapse use it for so many different functions, its long-term persistence in the system would not be permitted by the body, and the brain. It also plays a huge role in giving birth as well as, synaptically, "falling in love." If the brain wanted sustained levels it would resynthesize-resecrete it continually, with quick destruction of already active oxytocin in the synapse. I don't even need to dig out research confirmation for what I have said. (Unless this actually were to be a publishable paper to pharmacologists). Basic physiology mandates the above logic.
&&

This answer is so ridiculous I had to register just so I could say something (and yes I see how old the OP is and how old the other replies are) but I feel like this is important information and it still comes up in search engines so there should be a correct answer for people searching. I guess the answer/post (a few above) is a good example of having more dollars than cents. (LOTS of intelligence and COMPLETELY INAPPLICABLE to the original question) Oxytocin (naturally occurring in the body) and Oxycontin (Schedule II prescription pain medicine) are two COMPLETELY DIFFERENT THINGS!

To the original question: I have also heard (and felt) that about 1/3 of the Oxy in Oxycontin is released immediately (in about an hour) and the remaining 2/3s time release in about 7-8 hours depending on your body composition. So, to the original question: While there is no change in your daily MG prescribed you will FEEL a huge difference in immediate release (Oxycodone) and time release (OxyContin).

I am prescribed both monthly. I use Oxycontin to lower my pain level overall and Oxycodone for break through pain.