• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

How does weed smell get through zip lock bags?

moonyham

Bluelighter
Sometimes I buy weed that's got an incredibly strong smell to it. It's so strong I have to triple bag it and put it in a rubber sealed plastic food container.. It STILL smells. I have to have that kept under a bunch of clothes at the back of a drawer or my room will start to stink of weed.

It seems almost nothing can contain this smell. What I find really fucking weird is.. How is it a zip lock bag can hold in the smell of a literal dog shit. Or rotten chicken. Or.. You name it. But weed stench manages to pass right through?

Also because this stuff stinks so much, when I open up the large container to top up my smaller one my room will stink for literally hours. It has ventilation, and even though the air comes from the hallway under my door and up through the vent I'm my ceiling, the smell can still find its way all the way down the hall(against the flow of air?? Wtf) to my kitchen.

It almost feels like the smell of this weed defies the laws of physics.

It's extremely awkward because I'm in a temporary living situation with family that don't approve of weed but aren't exactly haters. The smell was so strong from simply opening a container for 10 seconds about an hour prior that I was asked if I just smoked inside the house!! Like fuck!!

I need help. Wtf actually works. Is there some way I can reduce the smell of this weed without damaging it? This stuff isn't even that strong. Like a 7/10. It just is soooo intense. I get it direct from the grower so I suppose it's maybe fresher(although it's dried properly etc from what I can tell when I smoke it) than most weed that I might get but yeah it's really bothering me lately.

The plastic in the bag is not entirely non permeable. The terpines (smell bearing chemicals) are contained in volatile oils that penetrate the plastic and ***presto*** it escapes.

Try a mason jar, they keep the smell in a lot better!
Right on I'll switch to Mason jars. I suppose there's good reason so many people use them haha. Still seems crazy to me rotten meat or shit doesn't get through but weed does(and quite easily).

I'll have to remember to bring a jar next time I pick some up too now that I think about it. I've just been rolling the dice and driving a car that smells like a weed factory hoping I don't get pulled up(great way to make you not speed lol).

iu

Specifically this brand? If I can avoid glass for transport purposes that'd be great but man this stuff stinks I can put that into words strongly enough. I thought I smelt stinky weed this is another level and then some. Smoked for 15 years, hundreds of connections. This blows all weed out of the water when it comes to smell.

My girl doesn't smoke. This is the only weed she has expressed smells very intense. Walks into the room and is like holy fuck that weed smells so strong. We both can't get over it honestly lol.

no any brand ya want

those are probably the most common at the grocery store

the large size are smaller than the turkey size....you can fit a pound in the large size as long as you're not growing larf

no any brand ya want

those are probably the most common at the grocery store

the large size are smaller than the turkey size....you can fit a pound in the large size as long as you're not growing larf
I'll have a look around and see what I can find in my neck of the woods. How do these seal closed? They are zip lock or what? I've never used oven bags(meat bakes great without them?)

Vacuum sealers work. Sometimes you need to double bag it.

I always used a pelican case, with jars or bags of weed inside, to keep weed smell minimal when in cars or whatever.

Glass and metal are the only 2 guarantees, my guy.

When it comes to bags look into the smell proof travel bags like from skunk bags or for disposable bags, Loud Lock makes a really nice mylar bag that won't b3 perfect but will be far better than a normal Sammy bag

Plastic tight vacuum jeers will still release scent plus you really need to check the mechanism to make sure it's a proper seal. The best bet to keep your shit not smelling imo is a) make sure everything is clean (including your hands) and put the nug in a mylar bag and throw the bag in a Mason jar

Mylar bags will work better for transportation purposes, they have finer Structure thats why when you fill up normal balloons with helium they leak and deflate because the helium can escape the pores, where as mylar is much tighter pores and the helium cannot pass.

For long term storage though, high quality Mason / Kilner jars are always king

when i used to run Gorilla Glue, and i'd cure it in big jars, it would still permeate through

i actually had to stop growing GG4 because i couldn't get it to stop stinking up the driveway even using 2 carbon filters

There's something called smell sacks, stinky sacks or smell-proof (you get the idea for naming of these packages).

They come in all kinds of sizes, from 1g up to 1lb. Very heavy mylar/plastic and usually has a triple seal. They be light proof as well - and best of all, moisture proof so you can hold your product at a good humidity (62% rh) if you include a moisture control packet (eg. Boveda).

Found it, the name of the product you want is Smellyproof. Dirt cheap at $1-2 per. It's what I use to legally send weed through the mail (Canada). I would cool a bunch of spliffs and put them in a Smellyproof with a control pack and they would last and last....

Tom

Last edited:
A simple baggie inside a medicine bottle should contain it keep that inside a jar and ain't no smell coming through keep the jar in a drawer or duffel bag

Right on I'll switch to Mason jars. I suppose there's good reason so many people use them haha. Still seems crazy to me rotten meat or shit doesn't get through but weed does(and quite easily).

I'll have to remember to bring a jar next time I pick some up too now that I think about it. I've just been rolling the dice and driving a car that smells like a weed factory hoping I don't get pulled up(great way to make you not speed lol).

Mason jars are wonderful in a pinch!

I prefer opaque jars myself. If you don't mind spending a bit more than you would on mason jars, search for this on Amazon:

Herb Guard - 1 Oz Airtight Jar and Smell Proof Container​

Those herb guard jars are big enough to fit an ounce, a humidity pack, and an activated charcoal filter so that your house doesn't smell like a pound every time you crack the seal. I've got like six of them but usually only have anything in 1-3 at a time. Got barred out one night a looooong time ago and just went wild on Amazon, lol.

i actually remember when i first heard that word....it was in Humboldt about 20 years ago...there i was....