• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants How does taking antacids actually affect the effects of amphetamines?

Lendy

Bluelighter
Hi all. I'm from Ukraine and my English level is poor, I used a translator for this thread, so don't blame me for the grammar.

I have been using amphetamine for more than a year now, mostly by oral route. Recently I decided to try potentiation and bought calcium carbonate + magnesium carbonate (if I'm not mistaken, the composition of tums is similar). The effect was not quite like the typical amphetamine effect I imagined. The main change in effect was felt mainly as a potentiation of l-amphetamine/norepinephrine effects - strong tunnel vision, hyperfocus, "zombie" sensation. At the same time, euphoria did not intensify, but rather weakened and became much shorter in time, quickly turning into dysphoria. It reminded me of my experience with a-pvp, which I didn't like at all. And this experience is consistent with the experience of some other users who only felt the negative effects increase without any benefit.
The duration of the overall effect did not change significantly. I've taken fairly high doses of amphetamine without antacids in my time and it felt much more euphoric, more natural and the pleasurable sensations lasted longer, even with the higher dosage it didn't feel crappy.

So what is the pharmacological mechanism that makes amphetamines feel this way when taking antacids? Is levoamphetamine more bioavailable and more slowly eliminated than dexamphetamine at a higher pH? I also read a claim that vitamin C blocks the action of levoamphetamine, making the racemate feel cleaner, similar to dexamphetamine. So, is it safe to assume that the left-sided isomer is more sensitive to pH changes than dexamphetamine?
I took 500mg of vitamin C about 1-2 hours ago after the comedown started to speed up the amphetamine elimination and go to sleep, but I'm still focused, just got rid of the nervous and manic feeling...

Would like to see some research on this.

Hi there, I used sodium bicarbonate, 5 grams taken 5 minutes before ingesting amphetamine sulphate a few times.
IME it makes it more similar to snorting, ie the effects come on a bit faster and stronger and last less compared to just eating the speed.
Didn't notice a change in the effects like you are describing.

From my understanding the underlying mechanism for this amphetamine + basic compound interaction occurs in the kidneys. By creating an alkaline environment in the urine through the consumption of things like baking soda, the amphetamine your body would otherwise excrete is converted to a freebase form, which isn't readily water soluble, so the freebase sort of lingers around and is reabsorbed by the kidney and pushed back into the bloodstream.

Whether or not l-amphetamine more readily forms a freebase (or whether d-amphetamine is more resistant) is unknown to me.

It might not be a matter of increased exposure of l-amphetamine relative to d-amphetamine but perhaps other factors, for instance, perhaps both enantiomers are reabsorbed equally and what you are experiencing is more a matter of depleted monoamines. From my experience, additional doses of amphetamine never recapture that initial high, so perhaps that's what is occuring here, peripheral effects increasing while desired central effects decrease. Or perhaps it really is preferential absorption of l-amphetamine. I don't know. No research exists on this that i am aware of.

Welcome to bluelight by the way! What part of Ukraine are you from? Hope you're staying safe, we are all rooting for you guys 🇺🇦

Насколько я понимаю, основной механизм взаимодействия амфетамина и основного соединения происходит в почках. Создавая щелочную среду в моче из-за потребления таких вещей, как пищевая сода, амфетамин, который в противном случае выделялся бы вашим телом, преобразуется в форму свободного основания, которая не растворяется в воде, поэтому свободное основание задерживается и реабсорбируется. почках и выбрасывается обратно в кровоток.

Мне неизвестно, легче ли L-амфетамин образует свободное основание (или d-амфетамин более устойчив).

Это может быть не связано с повышенным воздействием l-амфетамина по сравнению с d-амфетамином, а, возможно, с другими факторами, например, возможно, оба энантиомера реабсорбируются одинаково, и то, что вы испытываете, больше связано с истощением моноаминов. По моему опыту, дополнительные дозы амфетамина никогда не возвращают тот первоначальный эффект, поэтому, возможно, это то, что происходит здесь: периферические эффекты усиливаются, а желаемые центральные эффекты уменьшаются. Или, возможно, это действительно преимущественное всасывание l-амфетамина. Я не знаю. Никаких исследований по этому поводу, о которых я знаю, не существует.

Кстати, добро пожаловать в Bluelight! Вы из какой части Украины? Надеюсь, вы в безопасности, мы все болеем за вас, ребята🇺🇦
Thank you for your support, it's nice that you worry about us :) I live in the Kyiv region and now it's pretty calm here, but in Ukraine almost every day there is a missile threat several times.