• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Pharmacology How does quitting adhd meds trigger mania in people with bipolar disorder?

This thread contains discussion about a Pharmacology-related topic

Juicewrldfan

Bluelighter
I am so confused. My inpatient and outpatient doctors are insisting I take my adhd meds but putting me on a safer one as Ritalin for me isn’t anything like amps. What I mean is drug liking for me is very low. As in I tried abusing it once before and it wasn’t that great and it doesn’t call to me.

But still, I expected them to say taking it was triggering my mania. They are telling me cold turkey quitting it triggered my mania in January and just now got stabilized but they want me to start back Tuesday.

So I am in lamictal now and stable, but how does cold turkey quitting adhd meds trigger mania in persons with BD and ADHD?

Mate if 2 seperate doctors are saying to do something just do it.
I am and it’s more I’m curious about the pharmacological action that would trigger mania in people with BD like myself. I am a very curious person lol. That’s all this is. Not asking for advice just wanting to learn some about this.

@AlsoTapered

I am and it’s more I’m curious about the pharmacological action that would trigger mania in people with BD like myself. I am a very curious person lol. That’s all this is. Not asking for advice just wanting to learn some about this.

@AlsoTapered
I'm not convinced that it was the cold turkey off your ADHD medication that is entirely to blame for your manic episode.

You have diagnosed bipolar depression that based on the posts that you've posted since you've been on the board is not properly medicated, And hasn't been.

What your doctors probably meant to say was that going off your ADHD medication and your poor management of your BPD allowed for a breakthrough manic episode. That's different than " quitting your ADHD meds cold turkey caused you to have a manic episode".

I know it's nuanced but that's the most likely explanation.

I'm not convinced that it was the cold turkey off your ADHD medication that is entirely to blame for your manic episode.

You have diagnosed bipolar depression that based on the posts that you've posted since you've been on the board is not properly medicated, And hasn't been.

What your doctors probably meant to say was that going off your ADHD medication and your poor management of your BPD allowed for a breakthrough manic episode. That's different than " quitting your ADHD meds cold turkey caused you to have a manic episode".

I know it's nuanced but that's the most likely explanation.
Now that I think about it that makes the most sense but then my doctor was like “yeah it can because your body is trying to reach homeostasis “ but that’s all they said and that still doesn’t add up to me which is why I think it’s really your explanation that makes sense.

I am stable now tho and plan on continuing meds indefinitely. I just never thought I had bd before recent times or I’d been medicated yes I was diagnosed at a young age but I was also tricked by the same people so I did make the mistake of living in denial but now I’m not.