• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

How does it feel to be addicted?

Darn, that's the answer to all the ills of the.l world. If you have diabetes, just stop eating until you lose 30 pounds or so. Child molesters can just stop with the kids and politicians simply stop lying. All automobile accidents are easily avoided. Everyone just be more careful... wait, just stop driving.

Well, I'll be goshed.
Being diabetic doesn't rewire your brain chemistry. I've never seen a diabetic prostitute themselves or burglarize a house for a candy bar.

Being a pedophile is also a very strange comparison...

Again, a difficult thing for the uninitiated to even comprehend. You're making some overgeneralized comparisons.

You seem to not be able to realize that self control and addiction are not the same thing. They share similarities, but at a certain point of addiction self control is meaningless and goes out the window. It's no longer a factor. It's like asking a person to stop breathing oxygen. Try not breathing for 3 minutes by sheer will... self control. Right?

Imagine having to sneeze, but it never comes. It gets more and more annoying but if you use an inhailer you wont have to sneeze for awhile.

The next time the oncoming sneeze is a bit more intense and when you use the inhaler again you are ok for a little bit but then it comes back again worse.

This repeats over and over and gets worse untill finally the sneeze is so strong that you cant breath.

Now you have to contantly use the inhaler or you will feel like your suffocating. It gets so bad that you feel unsafe and panic when you dont have your inhaler in sight, or know exacly when you can next use the inhaler.

One day something unexpected happens, no more inhaler. You dont know when u will get it back, you just cant breath. It feels like you are dying and you have to rely on this one thread to hold you up over a cliff.

Imagine having to sneeze, but it never comes. It gets more and more annoying but if you use an inhailer you wont have to sneeze for awhile.

The next time the oncoming sneeze is a bit more intense and when you use the inhaler again you are ok for a little bit but then it comes back again worse.

This repeats over and over and gets worse untill finally the sneeze is so strong that you cant breath.

Now you have to contantly use the inhaler or you will feel like your suffocating. It gets so bad that you feel unsafe and panic when you dont have your inhaler in sight, or know exacly when you can next use the inhaler.

One day something unexpected happens, no more inhaler. You dont know when u will get it back, you just cant breath. It feels like you are dying and you have to rely on this one thread to hold you up over a cliff.
Right, and it's an inhaler that says "I love Hitler" on it, or some other deplorable message, so you have to hide it every time you use it. They think you're a nazi, but in reality you're just trying to survive on a basic level.

Addiction is not logical, to the afflicted or their loved ones. That's what people don't understand. It doesn't make sense to anyone. It's a disease by all definitions. Suicide often leaves people flabbergasted. Addiction is no different.

Being diabetic doesn't rewire your brain chemistry. I've never seen a diabetic prostitute themselves or burglarize a house for a candy bar.

Being a pedophile is also a very strange comparison...

Again, a difficult thing for the uninitiated to even comprehend. You're making some overgeneralized comparisons.

You seem to not be able to realize that self control and addiction are not the same thing. They share similarities, but at a certain point of addiction self control is meaningless and goes out the window. It's no longer a factor. It's like asking a person to stop breathing oxygen. Try not breathing for 3 minutes by sheer will... self control. Right?
I actually just threw out examples off the top of my head without a lot of analysis. Sounding strange does about fit me.

The one I did give more thought was the first one, diabetes. It's not a 100% direct comparison but one could say that diabetes is a disease where a person has some responsibility for getting it... but it is still a disease. Addicts may or may not have made a mistake getting addicted but regardless they have a disease once addicted, not a weakness. The rewired or out of balance brain needs to be healed and treated without prejudice.

Feels fucked.Feels chained.Feels like sickness-habbit,cravings,withdrawls-to substance,gambling...even some foods..or behaviour patterns....feels like u have not choise,feels like lie.....some unreal reality....something,that,if u aren't trapped yet better avoid at any cost

To me it felt like I was the lowest of the lowest scum in the entire multiverse, it felt like I lost my soul, fucking depressed due to addoction coke not giving pleasurable effects anymore and only giving nasty side effects...

I lost everything, including my mom and two brothers with whom I all 3 used to be very close with, and crashed as hard as I could before I was able to quit and it took two yrs of being clean to pick myself up, dust myself off and was able again to enjoy some drugs again without slipping sliding away into actual addiction again and I no longer feel the need to - once my stash is spent - go carpet surfing anymore or compulsively try to reach good dealers early in the morning to resupply, once my stash is finished up Im totally in peace with that...

I now feel free again at last!!!

Similar to being in a "bad relationship", loving someone very much, and although you know it's not good for you, you love them anyways. Even though you know their going to fuck you in the end, you stick around anyways. Everyday, things get worse and worse. Until eventually, you just cant take the shit anymore. And you act out.

Sorry if to deep, but this is my personal experience. Very similar mindsets for me.

I don't think you understand, but not your fault really. It's a difficult thing for someone to understand unless they've experienced it themselves. That's why they have Al-Anon and entire support groups for people who care about addicts but are not one themself.

Ask yourself why people commit suicide. Saying "just don't do it" doesn't really help much, does it?
<3 dedicated my life to it.
I'm not an addict, but I really feel you guys, and I want to do what I can
Many feel so, like they are worthless, and the only enjoyment left in life is what destroyed their life in the first place.
Trapped in black & grey existence. Worst part that the depressions get even worse when they're not taking drugs anymore. It's so hard to find a way out of this tunnel. That's why I do everything to be a light to the 44 people I care for atm.

Also trying my best on this site, but it's much harder to knock down the resistance via text and in a foreign language,
and there's a huge movement on this page that is blindly pro-drugs without seeing any consequences whatsoever,
hard to fight these. I tried much more when I started on this site, but mostly stopped helping because usually some other user who is not OP is going to hardcore contra my (professional, btw) opinion of how they should get off drugs, and my explanation of how to attempt doing it, or if they want to use the drug attempt to use the motivation to do sports and create body-own drugs to drop the drug asap, or my favourite advice to try a medication and drug-free path, etc, and having to fight these negative people is too exhausting, so I only rarely do it here now..

Last edited:
Similar to being in a "bad relationship", loving someone very much, and although you know it's not good for you, you love them anyways. Even though you know their going to fuck you in the end, you stick around anyways. Everyday, things get worse and worse. Until eventually, you just cant take the shit anymore. And you act out.
Exactly!

Hi I'm an addict I hate it every part of it, the long never ending night. It's like a constant need for something unobtainable and not having the ability to comprehend this. It's a thirst no amount can quench. Living in hell

Sorry if to deep, but this is my personal experience. Very similar mindsets for me.
That also I will never understand.
Having a bad relationship which is toxic but u wont separate

That also I will never understand.
Having a bad relationship which is toxic but u wont separate
Same as with drug addiction. There are still plenty of good times which feel great. It's that the bad times begin to more and more greatly outweigh the good.