• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

How does cigarette smoking cause COPD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elven Warriorr

Bluelighter
I know that smoking negatively effects the lungs and the respiratory system, but how exactly does it cause COPD to develop?

My guess on sequence!:

Irritant > Trigger Inflamation > Activities going on > Cell Lysis > Tissue Damage > Merged Together > Lose Surface Area > (Loop) > COPD

A quick google search will tell you.

Tobacco smoke contains thousands of poisonous chemicals and toxins, which when breathed in, many of them settle in the lungs and cause disease if a build-up occurs, which will happen over time. The tar in cigarette smoke can be particularly damaging, as prolonged exposure can lead to the narrowing of the bronchioles and destruction of the lung's protection and filter system.

COPD is caused by a repeated and prolonged irritation of the lungs, normally spanning several decades of exposure, which is produced by breathing in harmful substances that get into the lungs and damage them permanently. These substances could be tobacco smoke, toxic chemicals, dust or air pollution.

A sufferer of COPD will most probably have developed chronic bronchitis before the emphysema develops although in the later stages of COPD, he is likely to have both diseases.

From: http://www.helpwithsmoking.com/smoking-and-copd.php

^This. Your question could have easily been answered by a simple Google or PubMed search.

Please refrain from making these 'question threads'. It's the only kind of thread you've made on this board. Type your question into Google before you go and make a thread about it. The purpose of forums is to discuss things. Asking things like "How does cigarette smoking cause COPD?" does not generate discussion. Do some research online before asking these types of questions. Even if you weren't able to find an answer to this online, this thread is not acceptable for Advanced Drug Discussion. I encourage you to read the posting guidelines before posting again.

Status
Not open for further replies.