• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc How does ambien amnesia work?

TheSacredTree

Bluelighter
I'm on a tiny bit of ambien now (prescribed 5mg but wanted to try 2.5mg first since I've had medication allergies in the past) so excuse typos if there are any. I know it kicked in cause I was able to see a brick wall moving around a lot in my living room. I just really don't understand the ambien stories I've read in the past about people's experiences. I know my dose today was nothing compared to those stories but walking around my house I've been hoping I'm in the right rooms that I think I'm in. Everything seems normal. But how do people not realize they're talking to people that aren't there or staring at someone asleep in the next room over? Or waking up on a kitchen floor or driving to the next state over? Does this stuff all happen to them while they're awake but thinking they're doing something else? Like thinking they're in bed but really on a floor? Or are they really asleep but unconsciously acting out dreams in real life? I haven't even gone to sleep yet and I took mine at 1:25. Wonder if I'm even doing what I'm thinking I'm doing.

Just a point.

Benzo amnesia is amnesia, you can not remember some hours of your life.
The crazy stuff that could happen in this hours is another thing.

Yeah, I have blacked the fuck out on ambien and winded up face down on the floor with a woman in my bed.

She said she was not able to wake me up later that afternoon.

Just take is as prescribed unless you wanna act a fool.

I did a couple earlier today and fell asleep sitting up with my feet on the ottoman but, hey that is what I wanted to happen. Do not remember the movie I watched. Don't care though.

People do some seriously dumb stuff on Z drugs as well as benzos. If you can't handle it and the possible consequences just do not fuck around with the stuff. It gives people who need it a bad name.

I have had insomnia my whole life which is fine by me but other people seem to have a problem with it and I hate it when people tell me to go to sleep and I just can't and I am wondering if they want me to drug and drink myself to sleep?

People do some seriously dumb stuff on Z drugs as well as benzos. If you can't handle it and the possible consequences just do not fuck around with the stuff. It gives people who need it a bad name.

I have had insomnia my whole life which is fine by me but other people seem to have a problem with it and I hate it when people tell me to go to sleep and I just can't and I am wondering if they want me to drug and drink myself to sleep?

Oh I definitely need it. 4:15 in the morning and I'm just now starting to get tired even though I took the ambien at 1:25. But that's the same reason I'm taking it. Some may call what I have insomnia but I just call it a different sleep schedule. I like being up in the night so I normally fall asleep at 5:30 AM and wake up at 3:30 PM. My parents and friends always say "you need to just fall asleep at a regular time" but that's easier said than done and they don't even want me taking pills for it. Night time is so much more fun than the day time.

This ambien is seeming pretty dangerous to me though. Bad munchies but I'm diabetic and already have an online shopping addiction that would probably be way worse in a blackout.

And I'm prescribed klonopin during the day too but didn't take it yesterday.

I get clonazepam myself.

I don't give a fuck what my family thinks & they know it and well my friends are like minded people.

Might be why I'm still awake despite being in bed 3 hours after taking it. Was expecting to be at least a little tired somewhere in there but all it did today was make Family Guy funnier and make a singular wall squiggly. Lol. I'll try going to sleep sooner next time though. Don't think I'll be IVing or snorting it though. I've heard it hurts pretty bad in the nose. Can't possibly be worse than the time I thought snorting Benadryl would be a good idea though. Worst idea ever!

Also you only took 2.5mg that could be a good reason why you're still awake.

I am pretty sure that zolpidem is normally at least a 10 mg dose. I have only ever heard of the blackouts and hallucinations occurring while consuming too much alcohol and or benzos. There are a million better ways to regulat sleep than ambien. Maybe you just need a night job! lol good luck

Yeah, I was hoping it'd make me want to go to sleep but that definitely wasn't the case with these. My insomnia is partly not being able to but much more not wanting to. And i can't drink with it yet anyways cause I'm not 21.

You guys are all saying there are better ways to regulate sleep than ambien but what would they be? I tried finding a night job but all I was able to find was armed security guard and hospital, neither of which ended up hiring me.

A night job would be good. Maybe get certified in something like taxi driver where you can kind of choose your own hours.

I spend most the time at nights just doing something quiet because I live with other people and well one is not an insomniac so yeah. If you can't sleep you might as well go out and work or have fun and just get certified in an occupation where you can work whenever you please.

Maybe a taxi driver or something along the lines where you do not have to work for a corporation because those jobs are harder to get and if you are unemployed it is harder to find work. I got a great deal of education and it has done fuckall for me in terms of employment. That being said education is a good thing to have just to have because it gives you some knowledge about the world.

I took night classes many times even at university which I could not afford but then I went to community college and some classes where rather late at night and some were in the afternoon. I suppose just think about what you want to do now and what you would like to do later on in life. If you are young it is best to work a bit while figuring out things in life.

I could never get a job that did not pay under the table and it was shitty work where I did not get paid what I was worth for my skill set hence me suggesting getting certified in something and it does not take that long. Forklift operator takes just a few weeks and I enjoyed warehouse work.

The economy sucks in America right now and your sn says that is where you live so you can't be too picky about work especially when you are young. I am sure you could get work as a janitor but I am guessing you might be trying to avoid drug tests so once again corporations suck in that sense as well.

Anyways, if you live with people who do not understand just talk to them about it and see if you and them can both be more considerate to one another.

It could be a dosage issue. I slept well with a few ambien 10s. I really can't recommend drinking to sleep simply because drinking can be a bad habit at least in the past it was for me. Alcohol is one hell of a drug imho.

Yeah, I was hoping it'd make me want to go to sleep but that definitely wasn't the case with these. My insomnia is partly not being able to but much more not wanting to. And i can't drink with it yet anyways cause I'm not 21.

You guys are all saying there are better ways to regulate sleep than ambien but what would they be? I tried finding a night job but all I was able to find was armed security guard and hospital, neither of which ended up hiring me.

Have you tried melatonin, or first generation antihistamines like hydroxyzine or diphenhydramine?

Nothing really dramatic has happened to me because of Ambien (Stilnox in AU) amnesia, but we receive a constant stream of parcels containing things I don't remember buying. Apparently if I can't sleep I get on ebay on my phone, which is an expensive combination with the impaired judgement and amnesia.

A night job would be good. Maybe get certified in something like taxi driver where you can kind of choose your own hours.

I spend most the time at nights just doing something quiet because I live with other people and well one is not an insomniac so yeah. If you can't sleep you might as well go out and work or have fun and just get certified in an occupation where you can work whenever you please.

Maybe a taxi driver or something along the lines where you do not have to work for a corporation because those jobs are harder to get and if you are unemployed it is harder to find work. I got a great deal of education and it has done fuckall for me in terms of employment. That being said education is a good thing to have just to have because it gives you some knowledge about the world.

I took night classes many times even at university which I could not afford but then I went to community college and some classes where rather late at night and some were in the afternoon. I suppose just think about what you want to do now and what you would like to do later on in life. If you are young it is best to work a bit while figuring out things in life.

I could never get a job that did not pay under the table and it was shitty work where I did not get paid what I was worth for my skill set hence me suggesting getting certified in something and it does not take that long. Forklift operator takes just a few weeks and I enjoyed warehouse work.

The economy sucks in America right now and your sn says that is where you live so you can't be too picky about work especially when you are young. I am sure you could get work as a janitor but I am guessing you might be trying to avoid drug tests so once again corporations suck in that sense as well.

Anyways, if you live with people who do not understand just talk to them about it and see if you and them can both be more considerate to one another.

It could be a dosage issue. I slept well with a few ambien 10s. I really can't recommend drinking to sleep simply because drinking can be a bad habit at least in the past it was for me. Alcohol is one hell of a drug imho.
Funny you mention driving a taxi in there. That's what I really want to do actually. Had looked into it a couple months ago and didn't find anything in my area (upstate NY) about getting a job as a driver but I also didn't look as hard as I should have either. Glad you reminded me though as I'm seriously thinking about buying my own car and making it a taxi now.

My big problem is that I am too picky when it comes to jobs. I'm a vegetarian so don't want to work in the food industry and hate doing manual labor so that's been off my list too. Limits my jobs a ton around here. I'm definitely going to have to find a job soon though cause my old one in the mall just let me off since it's the slow season.

Have you tried melatonin, or first generation antihistamines like hydroxyzine or diphenhydramine?

Tried melatonin a couple times and it didn't do a thing for me and Benadryl worked but made my eyes and skin so dry I hated it. Never heard of hydroxyzine before though.

Nothing really dramatic has happened to me because of Ambien (Stilnox in AU) amnesia, but we receive a constant stream of parcels containing things I don't remember buying. Apparently if I can't sleep I get on ebay on my phone, which is an expensive combination with the impaired judgement and amnesia.
That's what I'm really afraid of. Lol. Already have an online shopping problem and way too much credit card debt. This could make it so much worse.

Well, since I read the whole thread I suppose I'll throw my two cents in the pot. I was prescribed Ambien 5mg for sleep time awhile ago and I found out first-hand it's a tricky drug. Like the OP has figured out, if you take a dose and aren't asleep within an hour and probably less, it isn't going to put you asleep. It might keep you awake and make you do some strange shit, but it won't put you to sleep. Secondly, I think 2.5 mg is too little. I found 5 mg to be about right and the times I'd take more, for some reason I would never fall asleep but I'd wake up falling over regularly (especially when taking a long piss at night). I actually hurt myself pretty bad once when I fell over backwards into the shower. Nasty stuff. Another quick point, although I've been on Ambien and other strong Rx'ed drugs for sleep, one of the best meds to make me want to shut my eyes is melatonin. A half hour or so before I want to go to sleep, I pop two pills (4 mg I think) and poof! I can't keep my eyes open any longer and I'm out! I'd suggest trying the higher dose of Ambien and do not take it till you're almost ready to nod off. Then get in bed and you should slide off. Possibly throw in the melatonin on top of it. I'd give that combo a better then not chance of working for you. Good Luck!

That's what I'm really afraid of. Lol. Already have an online shopping problem and way too much credit card debt. This could make it so much worse.

It's exactly why I don't have a credit card. At least if I'm buying random shit on my debit card or Paypal in my sleep, I'm only spending money I actually have!

I have not touched ambien in 5 years... I had an accidental overdose where I ingested 15 pills in the middle of the night and had no memory of doing it..I didnt realize it until 2 days later when I was suffering from the most horriffic anxiety and dizzinesss that seriously almost made me want to end my life... I hated the drug but used it sparingly over the years...

Forgot about this thread for a while. After making this thread I waited a few days before taking another one because it regulated my schedule pretty well for like a week. The next time I took it I did the full dose though (5mg) and was hardly able to even walk straight, ran into a few walls, and basically did my nightly routine (2 hours worth) in my sleep. DEFINITELY put me to sleep fast though. Only really using this stuff when I need it now. And like two days ago the dose was doubled. Haven't tried that yet.

When I take it though I always know I'm on it so not sure why so many people say they take more like the poster above.