• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Lysergamides How do I reset LSD Tolerance after 7 Years of once a week Nootropic macro dose use

A few questions if you don't mind me picking your brain:
  • Why have you settled on LSD as your go-to (vs other psychedelics)?
  • You mention occasional MDMA use. I'm pretty shy of it myself because it has always seemed very artificial, temporary, recreational and little to no long-term benefit. But I always wonder if I'm missing something there. Do you find MDMA confers any kind of long-term benefits to you, similar to what psychedelics can do but in different domains, or do you use it purely recreationally?
  • You've talked a lot about how you've seen this dosing really enhance your performance professionally and intellectually. Have you seen changes in your social interactions, happiness, romantic life, other soft things like that?
Hi perpetualdawn,

Thank you for the kind words, glad I can help provide insights from the large scale success I've experienced experimenting with LSD as a nootropic. Happy to answer your questions and any others you may have.

Q1 Why have you settled on LSD as your go-to (vs other psychedelics)?

In college I never tried LSD. Although, I did trip of mushrooms 40+ times and dosed 2C-I about 7 times. Other than that I've used MDMA/MDA 5-6 times a year or so at festivals, raves and as a therapeutic tool. After trying LSD I prefer it 100:1 over mushrooms and have barely dosed on shrooms since discovering LSD 9 years ago. I find that LSD is a lot more clear headed, emotionally stable and manageable where its less of a potential emotional rollercoaster compared to 2g+ doses of mushrooms. With LSD I remember all of my breakthroughs/epiphanies long after the experience, where with mushrooms I would have breakthroughs but would struggle to remember it all and come back with 50-60% of the memories. Where with LSD I retain 90-95% of everything. Also LSD's long history of safety research and recent studies re-validating that its one of the least toxic psychoactive substances (See LSD Safety Studies in my 2nd post).

With LSD I feel an incredible cognitive performance boost in the afterglow for the week after dosing, solutions are instant, solving problems that used to stump me are a breeze. I can focus and work nonstop for 10-12 hours on a work day, something that would have been impossible with my ADHD prior. I no longer hit that drained mental state wall at 6pm where I couldn't focus anymore or felt burnout, the ideas and productivity are like a water tap I have access to whenever I need. This is what lead to the once a week dosing regiment. I would start to feel the LSD afterglow effects wear off after 8-9 days, so dosing once every 7 days kept me in the sweet spot of the afterglow effects all the time. Truly a stable baseline that lasts all week, each time.

In contrast, with mushrooms I wouldn't get the same productivity and clarity of thought for the next week like with LSD. In some ways I would be a little more spacey, I would find reading was a little harder due to some left over effects where text would move or stretch a little bit the days after tripping on mushrooms. Although I have to say mushrooms can be even more intense experiences (with reasonable doses). On shrooms I've had experiences where the world started spinning in circles while I was on a grass field and I fell back into a void where my entire body disappeared. I was left floating 5 feet off of the ground with no body, just my consciousness and breath hovering above the earth completely at peace. I also had an experience where laying in bed, I flew out of my body 100+ times in a row, 3 seconds apart - which was unsettling. Not that mushroom trips are always this intense, but in contrast I find LSD trips to be a lot more predictably positive and reflective without the rollercoaster stomach drop effects, which lends itself to being more tolerable for weekly usage.

Overall for me mushrooms seem to be a lot less emotional stable and forgiving than LSD. Negative thoughts on mushrooms would make my stomach sink, something I would never get on LSD - where even a few days after more difficult mushrooms trips I would still feel that emotional stomach drop. It seems like the emotional impact of mushroom trips stay with me longer for good or worse, where LSD is much more analytically balanced, generally happy, fun and manageable even if I'm dealing with concerning issues. On the times when I would get negative rollercoaster feeling from mushrooms it would seem to linger the next days and there wasn't the mental performance boosts afterwards like with LSD which was the main reason for using LSD as the nootropic.

Q2 You mention occasional MDMA use. I'm pretty shy of it myself because it has always seemed very artificial, temporary, recreational and little to no long-term benefit. But I always wonder if I'm missing something there. Do you find MDMA confers any kind of long-term benefits to you, similar to what psychedelics can do but in different domains, or do you use it purely recreationally?

I definitely feel that MDMA has a limited / shallower ceiling of transcendental potential compared to LSD and other psychedelics although it does have many values within the range of experience it provides. MDMA can be incredible for processing trauma and providing a strong reset for feelings of unease, depression and anxiety. MDMA is mentioned for its neuroplasticity abilities in Psychedelics Promote Structural and Functional Neural Plasticity (Study Link 2018). MDMA in part down regulates the Amygdala, which allows individuals to think about traumatic or hard to process memories or concepts without having the Amygdala fear or flight/fight response that can repress the ability to work through traumatic experiences. This allows individuals to talk about concepts or experiences that they potentially couldn't normally as a means of therapeutically addressing the issues. MDMA also upregulates the Prefrontal Cortex (Cognitive & Executive Functioning) and Hippocampus (Memory Storage). It allows individuals to access memories without their negative associates or fear responses given the Amygdala downregulation, but the upregulation of the Hippocampus <-> Prefrontal Cortex allows individuals to reconsolidate (Store a new version of original memories) their memories without the amygdala association of fear, anxiety, pain. It basically detaches the emotional trauma from the memory and stores the memory that way so when you think about it in the future - it's just the memory without the negative emotional association.

My finance was able to overcome a lot of childhood trauma with 2 therapeutically focused and 'pre-planned guided meditation exercises' sessions of MDMA. She wrote out a guided meditation and symbolically released the trauma she was holding on to and has been substantially transformed since. She thought through the visualizations of the trauma and how to release it while on LSD, and then planned out a MDMA session where she spent an hour releasing the traumatic visualizations. At the end of the first MDMA session she found herself in her mind as a child in a ballroom dancing freely clear of the traumas. It completely redefined her self environment when she thinks about her self in relation to the traumas. It seems, she was able to re-write a new memory and association in-place of the trauma charged memories by MDMA's ability to downregulate the Amygdala and allow her to replace emotionally charged memories with non emotionally charged memories. (See images below).

She had previously taken MDMA recreationally, but this was the first time she thought out an entire therapeutic plan and dedicated all her thoughts for an hour on MDMA to resolving the traumas. She followed the dose used in the Nature Journal MAPS study referenced below. She also has a background in psychology and psychoanalysis, so it may have given her an advantage in preparing for the benefits.

I enjoy MDMA as a reset. Like during Covid, after taking MDMA or MDA all of the stress and uncertainty would disappear and it would feel like I was completely reset prior to the stress I built up for the year. In that way I find tremendous value. I also enjoy MDMA for recreational events like festivals or raves. One thing to note, I've found that the 3-4 times a year when I'm at a festival and dose LSD one night and MDMA the next night (The only times I ever do this), I experience even greater nootropic boosts. Likely because they both activate 5HT receptors with neuroplastic effects. Although I've found this increases my tolerance more than just LSD use weekly, which is another reason I avoid doing it more than a couple times a year. Although, I haven't had any negative side effects from the few times I take LSD (first night) and MDMA (next night). I find substantially more cross tolerance if you take MDMA the night before LSD.

Also a huge recommendation is to take the supplement NAC 1 hour before MDMA sessions, it reduces the potential of toxicity and I always feel incredible the next day/week.
(Amazon NAC Supplement Link)

• Protective Effects of (NAC) N-Acetyl-L-cystein on 3,4-Methylene Dioxymethamphetamie-Induced Neurotoxicity in Cerebellum of Male Rats (Study Link)
  • Attenuation of ecstasy-induced neurotoxicity by (NAC) N-acetylcysteine (Study Link)
The most important MDMA Study: MAPS Phase 2 MDMA Results (Nature Journal Study Link):
"After only 2-3 MDMA sessions 91% of participants experienced significant reductions in PTSD and at the 12-month follow-up, 68% no longer had PTSD. Most subjects received just 2 or 3 sessions of MDMA-assisted psychotherapy. All participants had chronic, treatment-resistant PTSD, and had suffered from PTSD for an average of 17.8 years."

1-s2.0-S0278584617308655-gr1.jpg
41591_2021_1385_Fig1_HTML.png

Q3 You've talked a lot about how you've seen this dosing really enhance your performance professionally and intellectually. Have you seen changes in your social interactions, happiness, romantic life, other soft things like that?

Yes, I've seen benefits in all aspects of my life. Social interactions are much better due to the complete removal of any social anxiety. Although, I'm generally a happy person, my happiness has been as good as its ever been in my life during this entire period. Romantic life has been wonderful. I got engaged this year and am in a truly caring, supportive and loving relationship. We go for 7 months at a time without minor arguments and don't ever verbally fight. We have the ability to talk about and through anything that comes up and softened egos where we always take responsibility and never engage in tit for tat. Truly everything I've looked for in a partner. She also doses with me every couple weeks and we share great trips of intellectual conversation and laughing for hours on end.

If anyone else is considering trying this regiment, just make sure you take a neutral look at the positives and negatives you see in yourself each week after doing it. For me it was all positives, but always listen to your body if you experience any negative results of concern.

Last edited:
Here's a study backing up the old idea that tolerance is gone on the fourth day.

"After 2–3 days, a solid tolerance developed as demonstrated in psychological and physiological tests. After tolerance to LSD is achieved and placebo instead of LSD is given for the next 3 days, the typical LSD effects will finally reoccur on the fourth day [42]."

Likely not completely gone.

It has been proposed that high dose niacin would stop an LSD trip.

AFAIR, I read an article once which said that a fair dose (100mg) of niacin daily would reset your LSD tolerance more quickly. Can't find it now and I can't remember the source of the article and thus it's credibility.

@VastIllumination Thanks for taking the time to write that thoughtful reply.

I find LSD to be much more stable and consistent in its effects than mushrooms as well. If I were to follow a dosing regime like you did, I would probably pick LSD too - because of this stability, and because of its safety profile and its massive track record in terms of history and volume of usage. I would be curious about using 2C-E or some of the new lysergamides (ETH-LAD, AL-LAD) in this way, but LSD is a lot more tried and true, so it feels very safe.

I think it’s safe to say you are a unique case, very few people have dosed in a steady fashion week after week for years on end. Folks that dose that much usually do so more sporadically and in randomized doses.

So your chances of finding information before diving in are slim. That said, you sound like the type that would love to blaze the trail and report back on your findings :)

-GC

Hi Cryptix420, thank you for your post. I truly haven't encountered any negative effects from once a week macro dosing of LSD over the 7 years. After each session I closely evaluate any negative or positive effects in the days/week after, it was always positive. The only small side effect I would get is the day after tripping, I would go to sleep an hour or 2 earlier than normal - that's really the only side effect I had. My 5HT2a receptors are still functioning well, I feel incredible during the day in terms of focus, energy, wellbeing and contentedness. Last week I upped the dose by 15ug and had one of the most incredible trips of my life. Breathtaking visuals dancing and forming complex sacred geometry all around me.

I've had my magnesium levels checked multiple times over the past 7 years and it was always normal. I'm going to be getting blood work again in a couple months for a check up, so I'll report back. Although, I've never had issues with magnesium, nor any low magnesium side effects during the trip. I've heard some people take magnesium when they trip on LSD to avoid little spasms and tenseness. I've never had that problem or any low magnesium symptoms.

The study you linked references a single Non-Clinical study from 1983 as the basis of the magnesium depletion claim. Have you seen any post 1990s studies looking into this? I wasn't able to find any.

newasdas.png

Are you recommending Cognance as replacement for LSD use or a way to upregulate 5HT2a receptors to reduce tolerance from LSD? If i took Cognance during a period of taking a break from LSD, would its 5HT-2a agonism lengthen the time it takes to reset my tolerance?

(Study showing repeated LSD administration increased the stimulation of neurogenesis and neuroplasticity)

Psychedelics and Neuroplasticity: A Systematic Review Unraveling the Biological Underpinnings of Psychedelics (
Study Link 2021)
Results: "A single administration of a psychedelic produces rapid changes in plasticity mechanisms on a molecular, neuronal, synaptic, and dendritic level. The expression of plasticity-related genes and proteins, including Brain-Derived Neurotrophic Factor (BDNF), is changed after a single administration of psychedelics, resulting in changed neuroplasticity. The latter included more dendritic complexity, which outlasted the acute effects of the psychedelic. Repeated administration of a psychedelic directly stimulated neurogenesis and increased BDNF mRNA levels up to a month after treatment. "
Hey my dude - I hear where you're coming from - I didn't mean to sound harsh in my post; you remind me of myself years ago.

Of course, acid is great and won't kill you - and it's up to the individual to assess if any given habit is a net gain or loss. That being said, I think multiple things are wise to consider with something like taking acid every week.

I like to look at things through an Ayurvedic lense, especially in terms of ojas depletion when it comes to drug usage. Psychedelics do tap ojas hard, in addition to LSD having effects at dopamine and adrenergic receptors. On top of the fact that once LSD binds to a serotonin neuron, it never releases - that neuron is toast and must be replaced. Serotonin receptors do not regenerate super quickly - you can do the math.

Something I always question is when people say that they notice no negative effects from any given drug habit - but are still smack dab in the middle of the habit. If it is your plan to take acid every week for the rest of your life and that works for you, then more power to you my brother. However, as this is a harm reduction website (sometimes people seem to forget that) I find it prudent to offer gentle reminders that, according to many different perspectives (both scientific and spiritual) it is unwise to ingest a substance as potent as LSD so frequently.

Tolerance is an indication of literal physical changes happening in your brain and body - this should cause you to stop and think, IMO.

I don't give much credence to tests, such as the magnesium test you mention, for a variety of reasons. The reality is that magnesium is utilized when stimulants are introduced into the body, and LSD is a stimulant, through and through. I only mentioned it as it's important to remember there are no free lunches.

To be clear, I see LSD as a close friend, and it has offered more value than my life than I could ever put into words. But, as with all things, moderation is key.

About the Cognance, from what I understand it is a positive allosteric modulator of the 5ht2a receptor - not an agonist. That means it allows the receptor to function more optimally - ergo, using layman's science, anything that works with the 5ht2a receptor should have stronger effects when combined with Cognance.

Cheers

Here's a study backing up the old idea that tolerance is gone on the fourth day.

"After 2–3 days, a solid tolerance developed as demonstrated in psychological and physiological tests. After tolerance to LSD is achieved and placebo instead of LSD is given for the next 3 days, the typical LSD effects will finally reoccur on the fourth day [42]."

Likely not completely gone.

It has been proposed that high dose niacin would stop an LSD trip.

AFAIR, I read an article once which said that a fair dose (100mg) of niacin daily would reset your LSD tolerance more quickly. Can't find it now and I can't remember the source of the article and thus it's credibility.
Hi brokedownpalace10,

Thanks for the response. Yes, I have seen those studies - but I believe my weekly macro dosing regime built a tolerance greater than what is created after the 2-3 days of continuous use that were evaluated in the study you referenced. Currently, I keep my macro doses 7-8 days apart, double the 4 day abstinence period mentioned in the study - and I still have a substantial tolerance, likely due to 7 years of once a week use. This rate of usage appears to build a stronger tolerance than someone using it just 2-3 days in a row.

Last edited: