• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

How do I reduce smell out of the bag?

jedinow

Greenlighter
I finally got my medical marijuana (still pretty hard to get in my particular location) for constant pain and have tried a few different strains with encouraging results. It's going to take a while to find the right combo of indica/sativa/thc:cbd, but until I know what actually works, is there a way to decrease the odor of the weed itself? I have one described as "pungent" that I can't even open or my roommate will flip out.

Is there any way to reduce to odor of marijuana before I vape it? I find vaping and exhaling into a dryer sheet tube works well, but this one strain is so strong I can't even open it to get it into my vaporizer. Would putting charcoal in the glass jar with it help? Can I soak it and change the water twice daily for a week then somehow dry it? Or do I have to get rid of it? My roomie would flip if she came home and the stuff was stinking up the house again so right now it's completely useless (and it wasn't cheap).

Last edited by a moderator:
You could maybe rig some sort of carbon filter up with a fan and run it whenever you are smoking, but it will probably be noisey and not cheap.

Other than that.. I can't really think of anything. One of the things that sucks about good weed is it smells so strong. It's almost always a sign of at least decent weed when the smell is impossible to cover up.

You could try switching to concentrates, they smell less and contain the same thing, just in different concentrates. If you can find a high CBD strain it is probably what you would need, or maybe try edibles

I have been known to travel on public transport with weed in my possession (ounces, halves or quarters), which is strong smelling enough to stink out an entire bus or train carriage.
I use a sealable thermos flask (the type you'd use to put hot coffee or soup in) to be able to cover up the odour and not feel paranoid that i'm about to get jumped for my stash, or searched by a cop or something.
Without the thermos (which i forgot to take one time) i couldnt even open the satchel my weed was in - it stank so much that my bag and everything in it (such as my wallet) smelt like weed for the next few days.
If i'm holding weed discretely, i will store it at home in the same flask, as the smell would be noticable in a small house or apartment if it werent sealed.
When i live on my own, though, i don't tend to bother - i like the smell of good bud :)

I've never tried to rid weed of its smell, and would be wary trying something like soaking it in water. Doesnt sound like a good idea.
I have used bicarb of soda (sodium bicarbonate) to try to absorb odours in a fridge that had a funky smell one time (and people use it to try to reduce the smell of stinky shoes) - but i have no idea if this could work to stop weed smelling so strong.

I suspect that it probably wouldn't, and think that tell-tale odour is just one of the inevitable qualities of cannabis.

Can you keep your weed stashed and well sealed, and then maybe vape outside, in a bathroom or somewhere well-ventiliated so your roommate doesn't notice residual fragrances?
The fact that you are vaping it, not smoking it, is very good. Some vapes don't have much smell at all, particularly those which don't have any sort of fan-forced air propulsion mechanism.
The smell of cannabis smoke doesn't tend to linger as badly as tobacco (which sometimes seems to br permantently noticable in houses people have smoked in) - but still, the smell of vaped weed seems to dissipate pretty quickly.
In most of the apartments i've lived in, i have often burned some incense when smoking a joint or something, in an effort to make it a little less obvious to the neighbours. Can you possibly do this? Or even burn some essential oils with a little tealight candle set up?
For me, it used to be a part of the ritual of getting high - light some incense, put a record on the turntable, get comfortable and have a toke - and perhaps you could cover some of the odour by getting some nice japanese incense, or some cheap indian nag champa or something?
Failing that, i think some people have pretty good results using some kinds of room deodorisers - but i think these can be counterproductive if you are using them to try to overpower a scent, as it may make it even more obvious.

If you are using cannabis for medicinal purposes - for pain relief - why does your room mate have such an issue with it?
Surely it is not hurting them...
Obviously it is more complicated than that for a lot of people, but i think if you're having to consider going to such effort to use a bit of weed at home, it might be a sign that you should be looking into alternate living arrangements.
I mean, you shouldn't have to hide your medicine in your own home, especially if it is helping your quality of life...and frankly that applies to "recreational" use as well.
Not that drug use should be a primary consideration of housing - but having to keep secrets like that is not a good way to live.
It will only end up increasing the likelihood of anxiety and paranoia.

Last edited:
Okay, so I've never actually done it myself because I'm still not sure if it's necessary (not trying to turn this into a debate thread, though), but it's my understanding that decarboxylating your weed has the potential to destroy/degrade a lot of the terpenes in your weed, which is where most (if not all) of the smell and flavor comes from.

Could anyone else chime in here? Would decarbing his weed help reduce the smell of the stuff afterward?

I finally got my medical marijuana (still pretty hard to get in my particular location) for constant pain and have tried a few different strains with encouraging results. It's going to take a while to find the right combo of indica/sativa/thc:cbd, but until I know what actually works, is there a way to decrease the odor of the weed itself? I have one described as "pungent" that I can't even open or my roommate will flip out.
why would your room mate flip out if you have a legal prescription for medical marijuana?

alasdair

Okay, so I've never actually done it myself because I'm still not sure if it's necessary (not trying to turn this into a debate thread, though), but it's my understanding that decarboxylating your weed has the potential to destroy/degrade a lot of the terpenes in your weed, which is where most (if not all) of the smell and flavor comes from.

Could anyone else chime in here? Would decarbing his weed help reduce the smell of the stuff afterward?

it might but it will make the house REEK the second you put it in the oven, and then you weed will probably degrade a lot faster from then until you smoke it. I ewould think at least.

Ahhhhh.

Fuck decarbing. :!

lol jk, no one pick a fight with me please

Anybody wanna put some stanky weed in a sealed container with some baking soda for shits and giggles to see if it works? lol.

why would your room mate flip out if you have a legal prescription for medical marijuana?

This is the only reasonable question here. It's your medicine, your roommate shouldn't say shit. You could also consider non-smokable options, as there is no way to reduce the smell of non-smoked cannabis (that won't ruin the integrity of the medicine).

If you can get MMJ then you should also be able to get some THC oil for vaporisers.Ding this should reduce the smell somewhat

Yeah, for your good stinky bud you're just gonna have to partake when your roomie is out if it's that big of a deal, maybe turn it into cookies or something when he's at work or something...If you two are not that tight you might wanna look into moving to a more weed friendly house. If you two are that tight you're gonna have to have a talk and likely end up somewhere in the middle. As said, edibles-dabs-less stinky pot are all things that exist...but stinky pot is best pot.

I can see why someone who doesn't smoke wouldn't want their whole house smelling like weed, and I'm sure everyone has had that 8th that stinks up the whole entire house as soon as you open the bag or crack the jar.

I lived with this guy who would have people over and would drink like fish. Idk if they were spilling it all over but the house would smell like alcohol as soon as I opened the door. It didn't drive me crazy or nothing, but some people are more sensitive to smells and personally I try not to have the whole "deal with it" attitude.

what i do, as i'm also a student, is tightly seal the bag and push it into a dryer sheet box.

but it may very well taste like dryer sheets afterwards and may be quite unhealthy to smoke dryer sheet particles.

i think it'll be more effective if it was a air tight jar sitting in the midst of your laundry items ;)

i keep my weed in storage jars. doesn't smell a bit. and if you smoke in your room, put a towel or something to cover the gap between the door and the floor, this way no smoke will enter the hallway from your room. then just open the window for a while before you remove the towel.

Bagseed, you know a lot but you are wrong as fuck on this one, unless you have really nice, flush doors. . .
Walk a college dorm sometime, see all the towels under doors: smell weed and dryer sheets?
It's better than nothing, but if you wanna catch someone smoking. . . .
Maybe it's be good enough for OP's roomie, maybe plus some Nag Champa if neither of you find that an offensive smell.

Besides keeping it Airtight, once you crack it open, It's over.

I remember opening airtight containers with as little as a 0.2, and have my hallway wreaking for two hours...Just by opening the jar,
Actually smoking the Dank, leaves a "moisture" in the room that can take days to get rid of, even off one rip

Bagseed, you know a lot but you are wrong as fuck on this one, unless you have really nice, flush doors. . .
Walk a college dorm sometime, see all the towels under doors: smell weed and dryer sheets?
It's better than nothing, but if you wanna catch someone smoking. . . .
Maybe it's be good enough for OP's roomie, maybe plus some Nag Champa if neither of you find that an offensive smell.
it probably also depends on how much you're smoking. back in the days when I still lived at home, it was good enough to keep the smell in my room, and my mother slept in the one right next to me. and back then I used to smoke joints mixed with tobacco, which is a much more persistent smell than just hitting a lil pure bowl.

of course if you smoke them joints like cigarettes, it might not be that effective.

I have pretty good weed, and I never had a room "reeking" for two hours only because of opening the container. cannot really see how this works.

Oven bags. The kind you roast a chicken in. These are great for containing the smell of pungent weed.

An ozone generator should be what youre looking for. Just make sure to ventilate your house afterwards so you dont come in contact with more ozone than necessary. Its not poisonous at the generated amounts but its not healthy either.

it probably also depends on how much you're smoking. back in the days when I still lived at home, it was good enough to keep the smell in my room, and my mother slept in the one right next to me. and back then I used to smoke joints mixed with tobacco, which is a much more persistent smell than just hitting a lil pure bowl.

of course if you smoke them joints like cigarettes, it might not be that effective.

I have pretty good weed, and I never had a room "reeking" for two hours only because of opening the container. cannot really see how this works.

Before I figured out how to circulate the air around and out of my bedroom through a window, 2 hours was like the bare minimum my upstairs would stink every time I opened my jar. It may not've "reeked" per se`, but the smell was definitely pungent enough to be noticed by non-smokers.

Even with the fans set up, though, my room'll still stink for a good 15-20min whenever I go in the jar to pull out a gram. Sometimes longer, and that's with using the best air freshener I've ever come across (goes by the name(s) Blunt Power/Blunt Effects/Blunt Styles).