• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

How do I make the cooking oil for baking?

jooooooo

Greenlighter
I found this link listing a bunch of temperatures for various extracts...

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/543218-Specific-boiling-points-and-roles-of-cannabinoids

Is it important to stay below the temperature for the desired extracts when soaking the herb in heated oil, dissolving and binding the extracts with fats?

Can anyone recommend a better way to get the cooking oil out of the herb, rather than squeezing the cheesecloth? Probably better when hot?

Must the oil be allowed to cool before using it to bake?

When baking, it is important to stay below the temperature of the extracts desired, correct?

Also, just curious, can the oil be heated again without affecting things as long as it doesn't get as hot as before?

Now, here's where it gets weird... I often hear that one needs 14 grams or twice that to make a batch of brownies, I can't help but wonder how one soaked that much herb in 6 Tablespoons of oil and if the oil even has enough fat to dissolve and bind to that much extract. Anyone care to elaborate on this conundrum? Even the batches that call for three cups of oil leave me scratching my head. Anyhow, I'm using a grape seed oil that's 22% fat.

Last edited:
Use coconut oil. Try to maintain 220-230 F infusion for 30-40 mins. Cheesecloth or muslin or t-shirt to squeeze is absolutely the best method, you will lose so much oil otherwise. Squeeze small amounts of the herb out at a time to ensure you get all the oil. Do it while still warm but not too hot or youll burn yourself.

You don't have to let the oil cool all the way before using.

Repeated heatings will degrade the product, keep it cool and dark.

Personally I just eat the oil because I got sick of trying to figure out how much to put in the edibles. I can just eat some oil and I'll make some regular cookies if I want to eat a cookie. That way I can precisely dose from a batch, i.e. I know I need 1/4 teaspoon to get a buzz or I need 3/4 tsp to knock me out.

If you want to make your oil more potent so that you can use less of it, consider doing double run on the oil, by which I mean making a batch of oil and then using that to extract a whole new batch of plant material. This works great if you're using trim or low quality material to cook with, if I was using really good buds I would probably just try and do a good single infusion.

As far as trying to dose precisely.. Basically think about the amount you need to get high normally - that's how much you need to eat to get stoned, except it will last much longer. For example, I have heard the most common dose for an edible in a dispensary is .35 g of decent bud per serving. So if you have a batch of brownies that cuts up to make 16 brownies, you would need 5.6 g of quality bud or more.

Yes you should choose recipes that allow you to cook at lower temperatures, or else add a little extra for the loss of potency you will experience.

By the way, you should decarboxylate your herb before making the oil with it. It will be MUCH more potent. You can look it up but basically you grind up your material fairly finely, put it in a preheated 200-220 F oven (don't let it go over that, check the oven temp often with some sort of reliable thermometer) in a baking dish covered with two layers of tin foil tightly sealing it. Heat for about 20 mins then turn off and crack your oven, let cool.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any questions.

Use coconut oil. Try to maintain 220-230 F infusion for 30-40 mins. Cheesecloth or muslin or t-shirt to squeeze is absolutely the best method, you will lose so much oil otherwise. Squeeze small amounts of the herb out at a time to ensure you get all the oil. Do it while still warm but not too hot or youll burn yourself.

You don't have to let the oil cool all the way before using.

Repeated heatings will degrade the product, keep it cool and dark.

Personally I just eat the oil because I got sick of trying to figure out how much to put in the edibles. I can just eat some oil and I'll make some regular cookies if I want to eat a cookie. That way I can precisely dose from a batch, i.e. I know I need 1/4 teaspoon to get a buzz or I need 3/4 tsp to knock me out.

If you want to make your oil more potent so that you can use less of it, consider doing double run on the oil, by which I mean making a batch of oil and then using that to extract a whole new batch of plant material. This works great if you're using trim or low quality material to cook with, if I was using really good buds I would probably just try and do a good single infusion.

As far as trying to dose precisely.. Basically think about the amount you need to get high normally - that's how much you need to eat to get stoned, except it will last much longer. For example, I have heard the most common dose for an edible in a dispensary is .35 g of decent bud per serving. So if you have a batch of brownies that cuts up to make 16 brownies, you would need 5.6 g of quality bud or more.

Yes you should choose recipes that allow you to cook at lower temperatures, or else add a little extra for the loss of potency you will experience.

By the way, you should decarboxylate your herb before making the oil with it. It will be MUCH more potent. You can look it up but basically you grind up your material fairly finely, put it in a preheated 200-220 F oven (don't let it go over that, check the oven temp often with some sort of reliable thermometer) in a baking dish covered with two layers of tin foil tightly sealing it. Heat for about 20 mins then turn off and crack your oven, let cool.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any questions.

Why coconut oil and not grape seed, any particular reason? I had never heard of the decarboxylation, sounds scary, but apparently, it will make more of the desired extracts come out to bind with the fatty oil when I soak the herb in the heat oil. Thanks for the specs, confirming what I've learned, and teaching me of decarboxylation.

Well I don't have much experience using grape seed oil, but my understanding is that depending on what oil you choose, you are going to absorb more or less of the actives into your intestinal tract. Coconut oil is supposed to be pretty good for most people to be able to digest and give a high level of bioavailability. I also add a small amount of soy lecithin (would use sunflower lecithin if I could buy it locally) to the oil when it's cooking, this also increases bioavailability of all the actives in the final product.

Some people like to mix oils to increase the bioavailability to the stomach. For example coconut, grapeseed, and cocoa butter.

Yeah the decarb is basically just a gentle heating. For me I have to have my oven halfway open and set on 200F while I'm doing this, because even though that's the lowest setting, it actually goes up to 250-280 if I have the door shut. So keep an eye on those temps with a good thermometer.