View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

How do i know if i'm ready to try DMT??

mayce

Greenlighter
So iv heard that DMT is pretty much harmless to the brain if taken properly, but so are all drugs... no one has died ingesting/smoking it, it is MUCH safer then MDMA that iv tried three times before as you cant really overdose... i know its effects will only last 15 minutes.
I just wanted to ask if my brain would be able to handle going through hyperspace and coming back safely to me! Am i experienced enough?
Iv done weed almost 20 times, usually once every two months, more in summer!!! I smoke shisha/hookah regularly or at least once a week. I havnt done lsd or shrooms before but id like to. Iv done cocaine twice, 2 lines each time....
Id like to do DMT alone in my room at home, parents may be there (im 16)... will i be able to do DMT??? Will i be making weird.noises or senseless talk or sleep walking while on it? will others know the next day or is it like other psychedelic drugs, dilated pupils etc. Please please answer if you've done it before and tell me about your whole experiance, thank you

Honestly you shouldn't.
1. Your 16
2. You smoked weed very little and hookah has no comparison to one of the strongest phycidelic there is. (Nor does mdma)

If you have to ask if you can handle something you probably know the answer. Plus yeah you could run down stairs and shit in the living room for all you know.....
Having to worry about someone coming the whole time will fuck with the experience.

Yeah, you're too young, but taking DMT *is* a lot less stressful than taking LSD.

Okay so maybe i should pause the idea for later in life... thank you.
In what way is Lsd more stressful?? isnt it meant to be pretty easy to handle while on?
And another question, the 2 or 3 months space out meant to be done with all drug use or every drug alone (i cant really explain without confusion ).. if i take mdma now, will i have to wait 2 months to do lsd or no as its a different drug??

Welcome to Bluelight :)

As others have said, your current level of experience with psychedelics is a little low, as is your age. It would be recommended to wait it out just a little longer, at least until you've experienced what a true psychedelic trip is like. For the experience part, I'd personally recommend mushrooms as psilocin (4-HO-DMT)'s effects will be about as close to DMT as you'll get with the 'classics' (LSD etc), but that being said LSD itself is always a good starting point beyond weed anyway.

LSD can be "more stressful" in a sense that its duration is SIGNIFICANTLY longer, and the subjective effects are a bit different. It's still a very powerful psychedelic; DMT is just a different kind of intense.

All that being said, personally in the right setting and with the right guidance and mindset, a small dose of DMT can be great for a first trip due to the easy-going and euphoric nature of the trip as well as its short duration as you've noted. I wouldn't at all recommend doing it without a sitter though, preferably someone not only with experience tripping but specifically with DMT.

Regarding tolerance - cross-tolerance is usually an issue with drugs that act in similar ways, or on the same receptors. In your case, I believe the general consensus of cross tolerance from MDMA to a typical serotonergic psychedelic is fairly low, so you'd be best if you can space them at least 1 week apart, preferably 2 (or more lol).

Honestly if you do choose to smoke dmt, just take it one, small-ish sized hit at a time and most (the vast majority of) people would be fine. One toke lasts 5 minutes, 2 tokes lasts a few more, and so on. DMT is pretty safe, I know 16 year olds and even an 18 year old schizophrenic (who's drug of choice is mdma and hasn't taken any other psychedelics) who smoked it and loved it. Just be careful and don't smoke more if you feel uncomfortable, I have also seen people freak out and throw up on it. One more thing, the more you smoke the greater your chance of time dilation, which can make 10 minutes feel like eternity. Just to clarify I'm not encouraging you to smoke it, just stating my experience with DMT.

Also, if and when you smoke DMT, try to find a nice quiet spot in the woods. It's not good to be sketched out on psychs.

Thank you for replying, regarding shrooms ...(sorry my questions never seem to finish) is it possible to get them outside their season August-october, can i get some now???
Because Here in Ireland most dealers just sell you jars and you need to wait for the mushroom to grow & then do stuff before you take it (i dont know what exactly) and many of my friends go out in autumn finding them & picking them themselves,
#1 is it possible to get shrooms all year round??
#2 can i get the shroom trozzle mentioned in a ready to eat form or do they sell shrooms in jars all over the world???
#3 Is it safe to go out picking them yourself???

I still want to try DMT but maybe next summer ;)
shrooms Then lsd then dmt ^^

Well, yes it is able to get shrooms all year round, you just need to find someone that grows them and buy them, fresh or dried. I never went out picking shrooms and always bought them from someone else, already dried.

About hunting shrooms being safe... I just know that they grow on cow shit lol wash them and learn how to do it properly (shroomery.org should have a guide), i know a few people who got worms from eating shrooms straight off the cow shit lol

When I was 16, I knew I was going to do psychedelics some day, but I also knew that one is in no rush and that these substances should be treated with caution. I'm happy that I waited. Likewise I'd recommend you to slow down a bit on the drug front - getting into problems correlates with starting early, and if you wish to be a responsible user you have your whole life ahead of you to experiment in the wonderful world of psychedelics. Sorry if this sounds condescending.

EDIT: Many people do experiment with psychedelics starting from your age onwards and do just fine, so I'm not trying to scare you off. most psychedelics, at least the classic ones you mention having an interest in - shrooms, dmt and lsd - are all physically really safe. they might cause difficult and terrifying experiences, but if one takes set and setting seriously the risk of this is fairly small. however, some people really can't handle psychedelics, and your experience with other drugs doesn't really tell how you'd handle psychedelics. I'd recommend you to wait, but at least consider having a trip sitter and paying proper attention to set and setting. if you have to worry about your parents catching you then the setting isn't good enough.

as far as the drug of choice goes, I'd say that with the right doses each one of shrooms, dmt and lsd can provide a good first experience.

Last edited:
My advice, coming from someone who started with DMT at 16, shrooms at 17, and LSD at 18, is to wait. While psychedelics have made me into a much more loving and aware individual, they have totally fucked me in other ways.

At your age you're still developing a sense of identity, an identity that is necessary to navigate the world which we live in. If you go taking psychedelics before you have fully formed your sense of self it will blow that out of the water and then next thing you know who have no idea who you are anymore when you didn't even know in the first place. And then figuring out who you are becomes 10x harder than it ever would have been had you waited until you'd developed that full sense of self and then tripped.

Please believe me. While I appreciate how they have advanced me spiritually, emotionally, and mentally, all of that could have happened 5 years later and made everything else so much easier to develop.

My advice, coming from someone who started with DMT at 16, shrooms at 17, and LSD at 18, is to wait. While psychedelics have made me into a much more loving and aware individual, they have totally fucked me in other ways.

At your age you're still developing a sense of identity, an identity that is necessary to navigate the world which we live in. If you go taking psychedelics before you have fully formed your sense of self it will blow that out of the water and then next thing you know who have no idea who you are anymore when you didn't even know in the first place. And then figuring out who you are becomes 10x harder than it ever would have been had you waited until you'd developed that full sense of self and then tripped.

Please believe me. While I appreciate how they have advanced me spiritually, emotionally, and mentally, all of that could have happened 5 years later and made everything else so much easier to develop.

^^ this guy knows what hes talking about. I agree with his advice.