• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

How do I convince my grandparents to realize that I could benefit from MMJ

Sk8nbake420

Greenlighter
Hello friends,
I have an issue that's currently very tough to handle. Due to my serious mental health issues stemming from childhood as well as having chronic neuropathic pain from scoliosis, recovery from opiate addiction that led me to shooting up heroin before finally getting help from a psychiatrist who prescribed me suboxone as well as other medication such as benzodiazepines, I have found that cannabis particularly indica dominant strains have been very helpful in my recovery. I recently had to move back into their house due to physical, mental, sexual abuse(I am a male btw) from my former roommate and meth use from another former roommate. At the time I had access to cannabis on a regular basis so it was never a problem. Unfortunately, my grandparents are convinced that I don't need it and that cannabis will be a bad thing for me. Now my grandmother is 70 years old seemingly set in her ways but, she has admitted to smoking cannabis in the late 60s when she was in college. She opposes the idea of me getting my MMJ card because she thinks I will become addicted to it and start using other substances. I am 23 years old and I know that not to be the case. My mental health conditions as well as my chronic pain has taking a toll on me as I am not stable enough without my medications including MMJ to properly hold down a job. I am seeking advice on how to open up my grandparents to helping me financially pay for the card so I can show them how much it really helps. What do some of you experienced bluelighters think I could do to help the cause?

Print out literature on health benefits of cannabis use. Do your homework and be able to give them facts off the top of the dome.

If they can't respect science and knowledge idk what else to say. Are you really unable to work? Surely it shouldn't take too long to save up enough to go legit.

When older parents or grandparents have their mindset about something I find it difficult to convince them about something that they already have a strong opinion. I mean, even if your own doctors talk to them it would still be their experience versus new information. They wouldn't change their minds IMHO, especially because of this belief that MJ will make you try other drugs. I believe it's difficult for older people, especially those older than 70 yo to change their points and points of view unless they are very open minded ppl.

Last edited:
Update: I was able to acquire mayb a half g of some medicine. I think it is pure indica and I talked to my grandpa about it. I told him about the antipsychotic, pain relieving, anxiolytic and the overall benefits that makes cannabis really well which work really well and assured him how safe it is for me. I told him I will be legal soon hopefully as I may have a couple people who will help me with the $150 to $175 in here Arizona. It's $150 for the state fee unless your on food stamps then it's only $75.

sorry to hear about your troubles, i agree with Erikmen that it's usually futile to argue with anyone who wields the weapon of age. cannabis has definitely great potential as medicine but unfortunately it's up against decades of stigma.

Hey huge stoner here since 7th grade. Of course back then my parents were like horrified, and it got me in a lot of trouble. Well, about 15 years and so many addictions later, I'm back living at home with my parents. Now, because of all the news/media coverage, seeing my ability to handle the weed, how it helps me eat regularly, kills my (relentless) nausea, and kills my insomnia as well. My life is of better quality if I'm just using weed. I had many conversations with them about this for years. Now, my dad happily buys me an ounce a month. (I live in Florida and he doesn't want me to be arrested). Although they lived in Seattle for a year where it was sold like liquor at the store so that helped too. They just need to know that it's not going to be like Heroin or anything like that. It will help you if you let it. I REALLY hope they come around even more. You said you got a half G comin? That's great. I feel your pain, I've had to stop many times and I never liked doing that. I'm sorry for your dilemma. Have a great day, Peace