• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

How do emergency rooms treat acute opiate w/d syndromes?

i've went to the emergency room several times ( in U.S. ) and they give you a catapres patch (clonidine) ultram, vistaril. It's not bad it will help a little. I've had a seizure once from withdrawals so when i would go into the ER i would immediately tell them that i have had seizures in the past and right away they should start you on a course of valium

Whenever I was in withdrawal (which would scare the shit out of my wife, rightfully so) I would beg her not to call an ambulance. I knew how the ER would treat me.

I had benzo's already prescribed for anxiety, had bp medication already prescribed, had trazodone already prescribed for sleep. So, my thinking was, what else are they really going to do to help me?

Therefore, I'd kick it cold turkey, in my bedroom with my medications handy. It always sucked, but I always got over it.

I once tried to convince a buddy of mine not to go to the ER for his withdrawals, he wouldnt listen. He was convinced they'd give him an opiate to help. Turns out, all they gave him was medication for nausea and some patch (that he didn't know what it was for). He agreed afterwards that he should have just done it at home. In my opinion, hospitals are not comfortable.

Clonidine, a benzo, and a pat on the ass is all you're gonna get in my neck of the woods.

I went today to the ER pysch unit to get a prescription refill on my subutex since I have 2 left and they were the last ones to give me a script. They told me to come back at 7am to there walk in psych and I will be taken care of free of charge, because it is a city hospital, I have never been to ER for opiate WD, but I know in NYC administration of methadone at no more than 20mg is common in such cases.

If there's a hospital in New York giving prescriptions for subutex for "free of charge" I think I might have to go to that hospital too!
Do you think they'd take out of state patients with no insurance?

Last edited:
i went to the ER with severe withdrawal (my own fault got sick of meds and stopped taking both 200mcg/r fent and 100mg OC minimum daily for 2 years) literally zero sleep food water for 3 days straight on the 4th day i obviously felt like death and had several "small" seizures....got taken to the ER got pumped full of fluids given something for my stomach a shot of toradol(i am a chronic pain patient and this is all they felt they could give me) and told to leave roughly 45 minutes later......this was the closest i had ever felt to deaths door

so in short unless you know something i dont know then stay home arm yourself with what you need and tough it out....shit sucks

Diamorphine Trials in the UK Thread

A drug worker gives some detail (mostly on how addicts in acute w/d are treated by doctors, police etc) but there's plenty info out there in webworld for anyone who wants to look further :)

from that link i see that in the uk if being arrested and put in the cells you would get DF's if you are lucky, What if you went in to serious withdrawal shouldnt they go and collect you prescription? I mean imagine they arrested someone dying from cancer and they needed a pill every day to keep them alive , i bet they would make sure the person got there pill, why should people on methadone be different? we are on a drug prescribed that we need daily they should be entitled to have their prescription taken to them imo, im still reading through to see what happens if your admitted to hospital in the uk.