• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

How do CNS depressants synergise/interact with each other?

max_

Bluelighter
Benzos, opioids, barbiturates, even weed when taken together "potentiate" their effects. I want to know how and hhow much. I know that if you take gabaergic drugs together (say xanax and valium) they will probably add up to each other in a rather predictable way.

You know that you're okey taking 2mg xanax and you are also okay taking 20mg valium,, then you might be okey taking 1mg xanax and 10mg valium together, Right??

If I'm alright taking 2mg xanax and I'm alright taking 300mg tramadol, will I be alright if I take 1mg plus 150mg???

Now, would the CNS depressant (and other) effects be what one would expect from half a dose of the benzo and half a dose from the opioid, together? or would the effects be stronger because the drugs synergise?

It's different for every individual. We can't tell you.

then you might be okey taking 1mg xanax and 10mg valium together, Right??

Might. Might not.

Generally the "worst offenders" to mix are: opioids, GABA-ergics (benzos, barbs), alcohol, methadone. All of those drugs have a synergistic effect in depressing the respiratory centres in the brain.

What I'm asking is how will the effects of drugs which have the same effects, but via different metabolism routes, or even action on different neurotransmitters will add up together. Is it safe enough to expect the depressant effects to add up like in a plain addition. Or should I think they will be potentiated further? Or will I find whole new effects when combining this type of drugs?

Different drug classes affect different regions of the brain (though there is overlap). Think of each region as on its own being able to sustain you. This might account for the synergistic effect of which you speak. The whole is generally more than the sum of its parts.

Different drug classes affect different regions of the brain (though there is overlap). Think of each region as on its own being able to sustain you. This might account for the synergistic effect of which you speak. The whole is generally more than the sum of its parts.

Yeah I totally agree with this. Does anyone have any specifics any particular couple of substances that may produce some great (or some bad) synergy when taken together? Maybe a research or a report or a personal opinion on how these similar yet different drugs interact?

For instance, why does benadryl enhance opiates?

Tramadol hardly causes resp. depression for me.

I usually combine it with a .5-1mg of xanax depending on what im doing.

I wouldnt mix benzos with real opiates, as they add too much sedation to the buzz, sometimes making my eyes look like that of a drunk/retarted/downsyndrome guy, no joke.