• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

How do all you psychonauts get through the come-up?

LazyTheGreat

Bluelighter
Let me start by giving a warm greeting to my fellow bluelighters! I've been having an extremely hard time going through the come-up phase during a trip. I feel as if I let go a little too much and end up leaving a trail of chaos in my footsteps at times. At other times I feel as if my mind is on a countdown that may lead to an explosion. At times both of these can feel awesome once I reach the peak of the roller coaster, yet at other times this can make my peak very unpleasant. I have done my fair share of research looking through other forums and I come to understand that my problem can be mainly due to me not having a trip sitter but you see I'm a lone wanderer with not so many friends that I feel can accompany me on my journey. So, my question to my lone psychonauts is how do you get through lift off? I understand that set and sitting must be respected but other then that what can I do?

I do trip often by myself. Here’s my favorite way, it is quite similar to the classic psychedelic psychotherapy procedure.

I do it at home or in nature while camping in the mountains. Ingestion takes place about two hours following a light meal. I close the phone and make sure nobody will show up.

As soon as I feel the drug action, I usually lay on a couch on my back, wearing a blindfold, under a blanket and with headphones piping quiet non-vocal music (Brian Eno ambient albums, classical Indian music etc…).

I quiet down my mind and concentrate on the music, I just observe my thoughts coming and going without trying to control the flow. I rarely experience discomfort or restlessness. Most of the time I usually stay on the couch 2 or 3 hours and then get up and explore my environment. If I feel some uneasiness, I go back under the blanket for a while or do some yoga and breathing exercise.

Having easy access to a beautiful natural setting may help a lot to have a positive experience.

A couple of ways to reduce the harshness of the come-up:

1) Split your target dose into divided doses. For example, if you intend to take 3 grams of mushrooms, you could take 1 gram at 0, 30, and 60 minutes. I always use this technique, as it eases the transition from sobriety into a full-blown psychedelic state. If I take the whole dose at once, I feel like the experience immediately becomes chaotic and confusing, and I never quite overcome that feeling during the trip.

2) You can try having an alcoholic drink or two during the come-up, to take the edge off. Alcohol is metabolized fairly quickly, and the subjective effects are short-lived, so the effects of the alcohol should wear off by the time you reach the peak of the psychedelic experience. Benzodiazepines (zanax, valium, etc.) are another option during the come-up, but they hang around in the body a lot longer than alcohol, and too high of a dose can blunt the effects of a trip.

Last edited:
I like to drink some chamomile tea, have some ginger, sit in silence and meditate. Sometimes playing an instrument, drawing or anything like that will help pass the time. Nature documentaries are pleasant at any point during a trip, and will help to pass time as well. Doing some physical exercise like riding your bike may or may not help depending if you're nauseous and disoriented. When all else fails, I stick to good ol' pacing and loud music, or perhaps yoga.

A couple of ways to reduce the harshness of the come-up:

1) Split your target dose into divided doses. For example, if you intend to take 3 grams of mushrooms, you could take 1 gram at 0, 30, and 60 minutes. I always use this technique, as it eases the transition from sobriety into a full-blown psychedelic state. If I take the whole dose at once, I feel like the experience immediately becomes chaotic and confusing, and I never quite overcome that feeling during the trip.

2) You can try having an alcoholic drink or two during the come-up, to take the edge off. Alcohol is metabolized fairly quickly, and the subjective effects are short-lived, so the effects of the alcohol should wear off by the time you reach the peak of the psychedelic experience. Benzodiazepines (zanax, valium, etc.) are another option during the come-up, but they hang around in the body a lot longer than alcohol, and too high of a dose can blunt the effects of a trip.

I do disagree...
1) Will reduce the intensity of the trip itself not just the come-up
2) Alcohol can increase nausea and benzos will reduce greatly any psychedelia

My advice is to try to concentrate in something else than the intensity, music and breathing are 2 good options. I relate to the OP as I sometimes have difficult times and freak out a bit during come-ups. Some compounds have smoother come-ups than others, as a rule of thumb the fastest the onset the harshest the come-up.

I do disagree...
1) Will reduce the intensity of the trip itself not just the come-up

This has not been my experience at all. It will prolong the time to reach the peak, but the peak effects are similar, albeit for a shorter duration.

2) Alcohol can increase nausea and benzos will reduce greatly any psychedelia

If one or two drinks gets you nauseous- with or without shrooms - you have issues processing alcohol (i.e., you shouldn't be drinking, period).

As far as benzos reducing the intensity of a trip, low doses of benzos have a minor effect on tripping, at most. I'm talking 0.25 mg of Zanax, or equivalent. You can trip hard as all get out when taking low doses of benzos on the come-up. High doses, on the other hand, can mute a trip.

I just think a full dose of ANY psychedelic will be stronger than same dose taken splitted if some effects were already felt. I think once you feel something you already got some tolerance.
I don't say alcohol will produce nausea, I say alcohol can increase nausea, nausea that some people get on difficult come-ups.
Benzos are recomended when somebody want to reduce a trip.

Not looking for an argument. You said your opinion/experience and I said mine. This is just my experience and yours can be different. Believes are a big part in how we perceive reality. Don't take it personally, I won't. The OP should appreciate the different perspectives to make a more informed opinion.

Love.

Cannabis can help to make the come-up more bearable, but cannabis will also alter the experience. Cannabis goes very well with most psychedelics, but i would be careful still, because cannabis and classic hallucinogens mutually amplify eachothers effects. It also depends on the substance. I personally find the come-up of shrooms and 1P-LSD the most unpleasant, while LSD itself, mescaline and ayahuasca do not have a very unpleasant come-up for me. Coldness makes it worse. Warm clothes or a blanket help if you're in a cold place, like outdoors.

When it comes to LSD, one word: Beer

When it comes to the others... well, Idk, I just kinda ride it out and feel miserable for an hour or two. No pain no gain right? Really, I find it's just best to ensure you have nothing around or to do that can potentially cause anxiety. It helps immensely.

I prefer to be as relaxed as possible with some good ambient or dub or downtempo or sacred chant music. I tend to sit Indian style or lie down and wait it out, feeling the waves of the energy oscillations until they stabilize into a balanced physical energy. When I am with other people i tend towards philosophical abstact concepts to get me in the metaphysical headspace. When I'm Indian style I tend to rock back and forth with the energy until stabilization in which the euphoric bliss can solidify. I hold the energy for a period until I feel like I can take it out into the world in whatever way my intentions are set.

I just think a full dose of ANY psychedelic will be stronger than same dose taken splitted if some effects were already felt. I think once you feel something you already got some tolerance.
I don't say alcohol will produce nausea, I say alcohol can increase nausea, nausea that some people get on difficult come-ups.
Benzos are recomended when somebody want to reduce a trip.

Not looking for an argument. You said your opinion/experience and I said mine. This is just my experience and yours can be different. Believes are a big part in how we perceive reality. Don't take it personally, I won't. The OP should appreciate the different perspectives to make a more informed opinion.

Love.

in my experience taking splitting the dose or ingeting slowly works well with shrooms and cactus but not with LSD. With LSD I need to take the whole dose at once, because once I have come up taking more doesn't do much, but with mushrooms I can take more even after the intitial come up and I will still trip harder.

What substancde are you using?

I think every tripper has his own ways. I would not drink alcohol or take benzos for the coming up, but a glass of wine in the plateau or in the coming down use to feel like very sensorial and delicious

Music, yoga and breathing exercises sure can prove beneficial.

Personally mixing cannabis is a guaranteed way to ruin the trip, for others is a must. Titrating the dose sounds like a great idea. Know yourself!

Agree with HExagon Sun. The right music and breathing helps to alleviate any anxiety or queasiness. I don't really suffer in the stomach department so I'm quite lucky.

Ye I find nicely controlled breathing helps a lot or even singing really puts me in a nice relax state. I usually get stomach issues with truffles as they seem to just sit in my stomach and fester there like lumps of dirt. Next time I use them I'm gonna really grate them down into smaller pieces.

Holotropic breathwork is something to look into for tuning via breathing. I have a short section of it in my book 'A Multidisciplinary MXE Analysis' https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BznGre-0Bn01TGplanp0NmFGYWs

Also, 'getting through the come-up', while different for dissociatices than is for tryptamines, still has overlapping techniques which are peppered throughout the book, in particular the section on 'induction'.

The end of the book, the resources section, also offers many links to sites containing tips for assisting the psychedelic experience.

I watch a movie (something light, not too intense) while sipping on a beer.

Try 2C-P sometime, that stuff takes like 3-4 hours to even get started, haha 8(

Meditation bro. Works great. Just think back to a happy place and visualise it in your head. Takes you mind off the physical aspect's of psychedelics during the come up. As far as nausea during the come up its hit and miss. Eat a decent but not really heavy meal or Fruit is cool to beforehand and that usually helps. Drink water relax then enjoy the ride. :)
Happy trails,
Nugz

I agree, meditation.

I do the kind where you focus on your breath like just gently noting that breathing is happening and not trying to control your thoughts but letting them flow through you.

Also, stretching ahead of time can be great.