• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

How do addicts get through cold turkey

I have never done heroin but I have cold turkey off of oxy . I was doing 40-60 mg a day. The worse is the restless legs and no sleep. Took a A ton of hot baths , it’s the only time my legs felt normal . A weighted blanket helps at night . Tried to drink and eat as much as I could and used loperamide daily to avoid bathroom problems , I only took like 10 mg a day . The bad mood and restlessness is the worse part , hours feel like days but it does eventually pass . Long walks, hot baths and Tylenol and i made it thru in about a week.
Hey I was just curious how long you were taking the oxy for. At a similar dose of morphine myself though I've been tapering for a year now, was at 1000mg at one point and have taken opiates for about 5 years daily

Hey I was just curious how long you were taking the oxy for. At a similar dose of morphine myself though I've been tapering for a year now, was at 1000mg at one point and have taken opiates for about 5 years daily
Same about 4-5 years now. It’s def do able with that low of intake, I even was able to go to work , was feeling weak and bitchy but I made it, never threw up or anything like that just very restless . Good luck

For stim addicts, by playing chicken with their home's floor, for opioid addicts... You've read Trainspotting I presume.

For stim addicts, by playing chicken with their home's floor, for opioid addicts... You've read Trainspotting I presume.

@Gaffy maybe im too stoned atm, but I don't quite get that? lol I get the trainspotting reference obviously (saw that movie for the first time on a high dose of lsd, after watching Napoleon dynamite....It was a terrible trip. terrible movies to watch high on lsd)

totally agree cat.

claiming anything can completely cure an addiction is a lie. if that was the case, the replase rate wouldn't be over 90%.

fwiw, i couldn't get through cold turkey. i just couldn't get past day 3 unless i physically couldn't score, which meant being in a foreign country or at my parents in the middle of nowhere. but every time i did under those circumstances, i relapsed as soon as i got back to mine cos i didn't realise there was more to getting off dark than getting through withdrawal.

OP I'm curious why you're intent on no comfort meds? If you wanna go that way then make sure you have a week or two to yourself, stop using, and resist the urge to buy more. After that you have the psychological battle which is really the difficult bit.

If you did want to use comfort meds: pregabalin for no more than a week, cannabis and/or kratom whenever you feel like it, lope for the physical sickness, and benzos to aid in sleep will do wonders.

I kicked a ~300mg odd oxy habit by first tapering with oxy itself, then switching to codeine and kratom, then supplementing with pregabalin and benzos, with lope if needed and the odd spliff here and there. It helped immensely.

I want to emphasise something @F.U.B.A.R. said though - the first kick is always the easiest. In fact you might be able to CT, feel like you got a bad cold and some mild depression for a few days, then feel better after a week. But if you relapse it gets worse and worse each time. So quit while you're ahead for sure.

Yeah I was also going to question no comfort meds, that's a poor decision imo. Obviously you have to be careful because a lot of them are also abusable and habit forming but you need to give yourself the best chance of getting through this.

This is complete horseshoe and total misinformation. Telling people you can 'cure' an opiate dependance with loperamide is misleading and dangerous.

Believe what you want but it worked for me. After using 100gr of H (#3) on several months, i was sick as fuck after because i didn"t have enough subutex and then I was sick for two weeks so badly I tried to kill myself in several ways untill eventually I went back on bluelight and asked for help. One guy, that I am extremely thankfull btw, told me to just eat enough loperamide so I checked how many there were left in the medicine cabinet and took the 10 pills and I was back ok completely in less than a half hour. It is the same how for example buprenorphine bandaids work while they only contain microgram dosages.

I've helped several people from their addiction in the same way but hey, I'm not a liar or misinformed but if you want to stay sick, that's your choice. There's never anything wrong with atleast trying it. But you probably (i think) need to have start your withdrawl already to a certain extent but that is my hypothesis.

Yeah I was also going to question no comfort meds, that's a poor decision imo. Obviously you have to be careful because a lot of them are also abusable and habit forming but you need to give yourself the best chance of getting through this.

Exactly. No shame in using comfort meds. Just make sure to be sensible and limit your use so you don't replace one habit with another. If that is a concern, avoid the habit forming stuff like pregabs and benzos, instead stick to weed and kratom which are much lower risk.

Believe what you want but it worked for me. After using 100gr of H (#3) on several months, i was sick as fuck after because i didn"t have enough subutex and then I was sick for two weeks so badly I tried to kill myself in several ways untill eventually I went back on bluelight and asked for help. One guy, that I am extremely thankfull btw, told me to just eat enough loperamide so I checked how many there were left in the medicine cabinet and took the 10 pills and I was back ok completely in less than a half hour. It is the same how for example buprenorphine bandaids work while they only contain microgram dosages.

I've helped several people from their addiction in the same way but hey, I'm not a liar or misinformed but if you want to stay sick, that's your choice. There's never anything wrong with atleast trying it. But you probably (i think) need to have start your withdrawl already to a certain extent but that is my hypothesis.

You understand the difference between your personal experience and making a blanket statement of 'you can cure opiate dependance with loperamide' yeah? I didnt question your experience, I said that making the absolute statement that you did was bullshit and misleading, which it is.

Not sure what your comment about staying sick is all about, I dont have a dependance to any drug. That you would assume I do says quite a lot. Whenever I hear someone say that it absolutely rings out as an indicator that someone is probably not very well themselves because it implies that they think their way is the only way.

It's really important to not make generalised statements like you did based on nothing more than personal experience and minimal anecdotal evidence from a couple of friends because people who read it might believe what you say and make a poor choice based upon the false belief that anyone can cure the physical symptoms of opiate withdrawal with loperamide. If you want to say I did this and it really helped me and some friends then great, but to translate that in to saying that anyone can completely cure withdrawal symptoms like that is very misleading.

Believe what you want but it worked for me.

this is anecdotal evidence and is therefore statistically insignificant.

also, loperamide at high doses puts a lot of strain on the heart.

you cannot be cured of an addiction without psychological healing in addition to the physical withdrawal, and people spouting well meaning advice similar to yours, meaning i did not seek psychological help, kept me on heroin for years longer than necessary. in those years, i got worse and worse and worse til i had lost everything and i am now rebuilding.

It does not help psychological addiction. That is true. But I find heroin quite boring anyway, personally.

@Gaffy maybe im too stoned atm, but I don't quite get that? lol I get the trainspotting reference obviously (saw that movie for the first time on a high dose of lsd, after watching Napoleon dynamite....It was a terrible trip. terrible movies to watch high on lsd)
Um those are great movies to watch high on LSD, in my opinion lol.