• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

How dangerous is oxycodone

J

Johnny5123

I been prescribed 10mg oxycodone no Tylenol in them pure. It says I can take one every 4 to 6 hours as needed. My question is if I took one every 4 hours, can you still OD. How do people of, I can understand if you took a lot and feel asleep. But does the drug just render people unconscious so fast they don't know they are in danger? Like does it knock you out right away, it just seems like you would know you took too much. Those are my two questions, thanks ahead of time.

Oxycodone can feel pretty strong if you have no tolerance. Is this a new medication for you? You may not need to take one every four hours. A lot of times if a person takes too much, he may feel sick and vomit. Taken as directed, you shouldn't have to worry about overdosing and being in danger.

At the recommended dose you should be fine. The thing about an opiate od is a lot of times it just feels like the high from the drug until you nod off and don't wake up.

10 mg is pretty safe. I don't know your tolerance or how you react to that though. Tolerance does build rather quickly though, so if you can avoid using it until it's necessary that is best.

When I was in rehab my bunk mate had ODed twice on heroin. He told me that you start to feel this tingling feeling your face and get this overwhelming feeling of being tired. Similar to if you hadn't slept for 2-3 days and finally layed down in bed. He said once he closed his eyes the sleep just got deeper and deeper until he feel into a coma and stopped breathing. This happened about 5 minutes after the tingling and "sleepiness" began. Luckily his friend brought him to the hospital and they revived him with narcan.

If you are taking the oxycodone orally (vs injection or sniffing) then the onset will be slower reducing the chance of overdose. Additionally you will most likely get nausea first (if you took to much) and throw up the remaining oxycodone preventing an OD. However 10mg for a opiate naive person of average size is more then enough to make someone sick.

Safest way to orally take the oxycodone is to take a quarter of it (2.5mg), wait 1 hour then take another quarter. Repeat this every hour until you hit the point of desired effect. Make a note of the dosages it took and then you will know what you can handle in one go. Keep in mind that half life of oxycodone is 4-6 hours. Which means if you took 10mg now then in 4-6 hours you would have 5mg still left in your system. So taking ANOTHER 10mg 4-6 hours later would actually be 15mg in your body. That is how people become drug tolerant and accidentally OD, they don't understand or consider the half life of a drug.