• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants How dangerous is mixing Amph with SSRIs?

glab

Bluelighter
Yo folks!
I have a problem.
It looks like for ADD the only thing which works is dexedrine. Ritalin pretty much sucks.
However I also have depression which means I needed a SSRI at the same time.
But SSRI + amphetamines has warnings because of serotonin syndrome. Seems rare but it's still scary. What do I do?
I mean I don't want to live in fear all the time and check myself for symptoms of serotonin syndrome.

Just in case someone says amphetamines don't affect serotonin. Not true. They do and there are case reports of people
getting serotonin syndrome from therapeutic doses of amphetamines + effexor and so on. This is pretty damn scary.

I mean what do I do if I feel jittery or sweat or get muscle pulsations and then think it's early signs of serotonin syndrome?
Shall I rush to the ER or what? Would they even know what to do in a normal ER or would I need a neurologist?
Cause in the small hospital in my town they only have really young doctors working the night shift and they are usually interns.
Would an intern know how to treat SS?

I took Adderall alongside ssris for years. I even abused the Adderall, taking pretty damn high doses. Looking back, it caused me a lot of mood swings, made me emotional, etc. I'm still here though :) did this literally for like 4 years.

I don't have the time to check for verification(s) of this now but: As pointed out above, it is basically unheard of to get SS from (dextro-)ampehtamine, even when combined with ssris and snris. In some cases doctors even combine MAOIs and dexamphet. (evidently?) with success and no events of SS so far.-AFAIK;)

Hi guys,
I know some people even mix MAOI with Amph but at the same time there are cases in the literature of people getting SS from therapeutic amounts of SSRI/SNRI and Amph
and to me this is damn scary. I mean how shall I behave when I want to start trying a new SSRI? Should I first of all ONLY take the SSRI and work up to the necessary dose
and then start adding tiny amounts of Dexedrine?

I'm also not sure if a serotonin syndrome would happen right away OR if it's possible that you're on a stable dose of SSRI + Amph and first it looks like it works and then after days or
weeks you suddenly get SS.

What I also don't know is if you get SS while mixing SSRI with Amph then would the syndrome only last as long as the Amph are in the body? For example if Dexedrine has a halflife of 4 hours
then would it be over after 4 hours or would the SS still be there even when the Dex wears off?

I also don't know if I should ask my pdoc about SS. I mean when I tell him that I read that SSRI + Amph could cause SS then maybe he becomes afraid too and tells me to get of Dexedrine.

And are there any drugs which could directly be taken in case you get SS symptoms as an emergency measure? This would make me feel safer.

You're really stressing out about very little.

I don't think serotonin syndrome is common at all with that drug combination. Of course, that doesn't mean it has never happened, either, so just remember that it's possible to die from anything, really, like too much water, for example. If you are not comfortable even with that level of risk, then I personally would lose the SSRI. In fact, I would have already done that irrespective of taking or not taking the Adderall, just because SSRIs are garbage IMO.

effexor or seroxat (venlafaxine) is an SNRI (serotonin–norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor)
amphetamines do break down into norepinephrine, noradrenaline.
if your doctor said for you to take them both in conjunction and has taken your blood pressure, electrocardiogram, blood test.
Dexedrine shouldn't mess with SSRI's or SNRI's, it has a more direct path.
For peace of mind ask you doctor though.
You wont' get SS, maybe a stroke or heart attack. Try not to take Dexedrine unless complely necessary and if you have sheer will-power to stick to the stated dose.

Last edited:
Stroke? Heart attack?
Do you want to scare me!?

Why should anyone get a stroke or heart attack unless he abuses amphetamines? :(

It's not to use and abuse; but to chase the feeling.
Please just be careful.
Sorry I don't mean to scare, but it's a very real outcome. But then when mixing substances it creates it's own subjective issues. SSRI's and SNRI's are quite benign.
They are both reuptake inhibitor's. By their virtue they won't screw you; this is how the pharmaceutical companies work.
Dopamine agonists such as Dexedrine shouldn't interfere with SSRI's or SNIR's.
Your p-doc should have all the interactions on hand.
Why should anyone get a stroke or heart attack unless he abuses amphetamines
This is why you should go for an ECG, blood pressure tests; and a four stage blood test.
Best guess they'll give you 5mg's of Dexedrine in the morning and 5 in the afternoon.
To be honest Ritalin did nothing for me also, I just wanted to sleep.

Last edited:
I don't know about Amphs, but I have done 1600 or 1800 mg of Zoloft (SSRI) and I got SS. It was an experience. I had seizures, nausea, paranoia, and anxiety. Took three days to get out of my system.

@ wasted talent

What do you mean with chase the feeling? you mean getting high on amph?

@ LILSTHEBASEDHOG

Did you have to go to the ER? Sounds pretty dangerous to me.

avoid ssrIs! thdey are horrible drugs responsible for the murder of phil hartman by his zoloft-out wife.

You're really stressing out about very little.

I don't think serotonin syndrome is common at all with that drug combination.

Listen to this guy. Its as straightforward, honest and relatively comparatively full answer as you need. Don't stress.

It's not dangerous. A lot of people are prescribed both an SSRI and Adderall/Dexedrine, take both an SSRI with Adderall/Dexedrine and have taken them in combination for years and are fine.

@ wasted talent

What do you mean with chase the feeling? you mean getting high on amph?

@ LILSTHEBASEDHOG

Did you have to go to the ER? Sounds pretty dangerous to me.

I did not go to the ER. I went to school, drove, and tried my best to act as normal person. People described me as someone who suffered withdrawals, or someone who just took a shit ton of amphs. (Which I have never done in my life.)

Serotonin syndrome is pretty rare. I only know one person IRL who's ever had it, and they just spent a few days in hospital doing a supervised medication change.

If it makes you feel more prepared, put a card in your wallet that lists your medication, doses, and what time you take it. If you get sick and end up in hospital, the staff will be alert to things like serotonin syndrome from the start.

I don't know about Amphs, but I have done 1600 or 1800 mg of Zoloft (SSRI) and I got SS. It was an experience. I had seizures, nausea, paranoia, and anxiety. Took three days to get out of my system.

Why did you take that much zoloft? Did you think it would get you high or something?