• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc How common is it really for people to lose control and freak out on PCP?

TheFrogEffect

Bluelighter
I just smoked PCP for the first and definitely last time a few days ago. I had a blast! I started taking just one or two puffs off the cigarette I dipped in it then put it out. I got bold and decided to take 7 or 8 puffs off the cigarette to finish it off (not the smartest move I'm sure). The onset of that was insanely intense. I felt like I got ripped away from my own being by some inexplicable force. But at no point did I feel like I was out of control of myself or the experience. My girlfriend actually told me I was far more calm and level headed than I usually am, which is surprising because I was out of this world. I do remember having a four hour long talk with her and it was really calm and loving and we didn't start arguing like we sometimes do. It was nice.

So I'm wondering, how likely is it really that someone is going to lose control? Is it people who can't handle dissociative drugs and/or psychedelics that tend to lose it? I am a bit of a psychonaut and generally take higher than normal doses of psychedelics when I do them and I rarely have trips that even go remotely near the bad end of the spectrum. Is my experience with psychedelics what kept me grounded on PCP? As far as dissociative go, I've done quite a bit of DXM but never actually enjoyed it. PCP was incredibly enjoyable in comparison.

I don't plan to ever do PCP again. But it was worth it for a one time experience, for sure.

You experienced a typical first time higher dose dissociative high if you ask me, they do rip your reality away and make one pretty calm at the same time. DXM isn't for everybody, it depends on your liver enzymes whether you get the enjoyable effects or not and it comes with a strong body load. If you ask me (never got my hands on real PCP but I did 3-MeO-PCP, PCE and a number other arylcyclohexylamine dissociatives which, while being pretty different also share some similarities) then PCP isn't that outstanding but just a very strong dopaminergic and sometimes overdosed because of the way its dosed, by dipping a cig into liquid instead of using a proper milligram scale or volumetric dosage. Also possible that some of these who freaked out on PCP had mental health problems before. You certainly don't turn into a cannibal just because of some dissociative.

I always described it as being in the eye of a hurricane. You are in the center and immune to the world as it gets ripped away. A full cigarette like that should have "Holed" you, but you got lucky.

I've had experiences where I was whisked away to "parallel" worlds, which only lasts for 1/2 hour to an hour. A bunch of people I knew smoked wet frequently for around 25 years. I, personally, only saw one incident where someone (a friend) "lost it". but we contained him and it passed without needing to bring him to ER. And, yes, it turns out he had a history of mental illness.

edited to correct syntax and spelling errors

Last edited:
I always described it as being in the eye of a hurricane. You are in the center and immune to the world as it gets ripped away. A full cigarette like that should have "Holed" you, but you got lucky.

I've had experiences where I was whisked away to "parallel" worlds, which only lasts for 1/2 hour to an hour. A bunch of people I knew smoked wet frequently for around 25 years. I, personally, only saw one incident where someone (a friend) "lost it". but we contained him and it passed without needing to bring him to ER. And, yes, it turns out he had a history of mental illness.

edited to correct syntax and spelling errors
I may have been unclear, i didn't smoke the full cigarette at once. I knew better than that at least, lol. I made it last about 48 hours total. One or two puffs, then put it out. Rinse and repeat, until I took a ton of puffs off it and got really fucking high, then I had 2 drags left after that. I ended up mixing the tobacco and paper in with some weed and smoking the last of it that way. The weed made the overall experience more comfortable,

It certainly was quite the experience. Enjoyed it a lot. Just not something I really see myself doing again.

I may have been unclear, i didn't smoke the full cigarette at once. I knew better than that at least, lol. I made it last about 48 hours total. One or two puffs, then put it out. Rinse and repeat, until I took a ton of puffs off it and got really fucking high, then I had 2 drags left after that. I ended up mixing the tobacco and paper in with some weed and smoking the last of it that way. The weed made the overall experience more comfortable,

It certainly was quite the experience. Enjoyed it a lot. Just not something I really see myself doing again.
sounds like you handled it perfectly

imo it's really an issue of dosage. any time i have remained below 20mg over a 24 hour period it was fine, as you described. the couple times i went hog wild, not so much :( one incident left me w such a bad muscle tear i was on a cane for several years. dissos that are that insanely stimulating are wily beasts. not to be trusted.

My best friend in high school had weed that, unbeknownst to her, was laced with PCP. She freaked TF out. Understandably, I think. That’s why she had a negative view of all drugs, and when I went to college and started using them myself, she wrote me a letter saying that she couldn’t be ok with my drug use. Which I thought was highly hypocritical, considering that I had been appalled by her drug use when we were in high school and I was much more naive, but I didn’t let it come between us. And now the shoe was on the other foot and this? Come on.

Anyway, PCP shouldn’t be allowed to be something that’s secretly administered to anyone, that’s just wrong and probably dangerous too

My best friend in high school had weed that, unbeknownst to her, was laced with PCP. She freaked TF out. Understandably, I think. That’s why she had a negative view of all drugs, and when I went to college and started using them myself, she wrote me a letter saying that she couldn’t be ok with my drug use. Which I thought was highly hypocritical, considering that I had been appalled by her drug use when we were in high school and I was much more naive, but I didn’t let it come between us. And now the shoe was on the other foot and this? Come on.

Anyway, PCP shouldn’t be allowed to be something that’s secretly administered to anyone, that’s just wrong and probably dangerous too
What happened to her is not uncommon. Given the very large number of random joints, bongs, pipes, etc. that I smoked with random strangers and friends I am surprised I never smoked any angel dust as it was and still is super common and popular where I live. I grew up with 100s of kids and teens who used PCP, wet, dust, illy, sherm, etc. Nobody became super violent or had to go to a hospital. Not even the friends who would snort 3.5 grams of coke and then intentionally smoked as many hits of ANGEL DUST as they could from a large bong until it was all gone.

Most people I knew who were into it or who had tried it said it was just a one time use smoking some at a party or with friends in a car, or they would smoke it maybe 1-3x a year if someone had some and was sharing a blunt, bowl, or joint of dust and didn't want to smoke all of it at once by themselves.

Last edited:
Not sure if the OP is discussing "freakouts", like a bad trip, or if they are asking about the media reports of people getting violent and fighting cops, etc..
People do that on alcohol. I'm sure it would be worse on something that was used as an anesthetic until it was found that it did not put the body down as well as the mind.
Walking around doing stuff while your higher mental faculties are knocked out isn't a good thing.

It's common very easy. It happened to me not on pcp bit with mxe that has similar pharmacology. It happened to a friend with pcp. He ran naked on the streets, hogtied by the cops etc.

I thought I was literally God and trashed a house.

You have absolutely no idea you are on.a drug and zero control over your actions. Very easy way to get yourself killed by traffic or a cop etc.

These drugs have an exponential dose response.

Just youtube "person on pcp" it's very common. Those people have no clue who they are, that they are even or person or that they are on a drug.

Tread very lightly

It's common very easy. It happened to me not on pcp bit with mxe that has similar pharmacology. It happened to a friend with pcp. He ran naked on the streets, hogtied by the cops etc.

I thought I was literally God and trashed a house.

You have absolutely no idea you are on.a drug and zero control over your actions. Very easy way to get yourself killed by traffic or a cop etc.
This is what happens when you overdose a non immobilising dissociative. Ketamine and probably DXM immobilise you so that you can't act out of the hole 🕳 but most dissos don't do that. Occurred to me on MXE and DCK, I didn't do much but I could certainly have. At some point the memory inhibition becomes strong enough for one to forget having done drugs and weird fantasies like being God can happen. Lower dosages are usually non-problematic but what's a low dose is different for anybody. For me it was up to maybe 20mg of MXE. Now with tolerance I could take 200.

NO DRUG should be secretly administered to anyone, ever. That's just plain wrong on several levels.

When I was in high school (1970s) angel dust was pretty common. I did it a few times and never had any seriously bad reactions but it was a rather unpredictable high. I haven't done it since then. I did see at least 3 people flip out on the stuff (all high doses) and one was put in a psych unit for 24hrs. It's not something to play around with.

NO DRUG should be secretly administered to anyone, ever. That's just plain wrong on several levels.

When I was in high school (1970s) angel dust was pretty common. I did it a few times and never had any seriously bad reactions but it was a rather unpredictable high. I haven't done it since then. I did see at least 3 people flip out on the stuff (all high doses) and one was put in a psych unit for 24hrs. It's not something to play around with.
Yeah, drugging one without consent is a very asocial act. Never do to others what you wouldn't want to experience yourselves.

But my hunch remains that PCP incidents are just overdoses and/or unmasked mental disorders.

That's american thing.Never heard of PCP in Europe(aside from some dark web shit)...not popular here.....personally didn't try even ketamine

That's american thing.Never heard of PCP in Europe(aside from some dark web shit)...not popular here.....personally didn't try even ketamine
Even in dark web I wasn't successful at sourcing PCP. After doing almost all of the new research dissociatives and including 3-MeO-PCP and 3-MeO-PCPo I was curious about the 'real deal' but just scammers offering. Same with 4-methylaminorex. :( Yeah, PCP is an american thing, seems like it's still available but from a different crowd than the research chemicals/internel people.

I had angel dust once outside of Montreal, Canada when I was 19, at a sleepover with two friends. We all did it. It was very strong and uncomfortable. The room was low-lit and I kept putting my hands out like I was bracing for impact because it felt like the walls and ceiling were trying to hit me, even though I was sitting. At the peak, I didn't know who I was or where I was, but somehow I knew I had to piss so I made my way to the bathroom. I had the distinct impression that some other force was walking my body because I wasn't the one doing it. After I pissed, I couldn't get the door open and I pulled on it so hard that it ripped off the hinges. The door didn't have a proper frame so it could move in either direction, but the hinges made it go only one way. I ripped it off the wall and to this day I'm not sure if I was being super strong or just super dumb.

I went to my bed and was out it for some unknown amount of time, until I just remember one of my friends slapping me in the face, claiming I had been nonresponsive. That made me fly back into reality and the high was over. The whole next day I felt a euphoric, dissociated afterglow. My friends and I sat around talking about all kinds of stuff. Some of it was total nonsense and some of it was profound.

I've done lots of ketamine but PCP was quite different. Not sure how to put my finger on it. I think the dissociative aspect of PCP was stronger but it also felt more mashy and less coherent. Ketamine seems cleaner by comparison. But I only have the one PCP experience to go on.

That's all to say... I can definitely see how people might freak out on PCP. I am very familiar with becoming a "nonperson" on drugs, when the "I/me" goes away and you're just pure consciousness. When I worked in HR at festivals, we'd have people come in who were resisting their high. They would thrash about because they were trying to somehow hold onto their sense of self, and they weren't prepared to lose it when they dropped a dissociative or high dose psychedelic at a sound stage. But it's like... dudes, stop fighting it. There's no self in there. Just relax and float downstream lol. I can see how it would be terrifying if you're not prepared for it, or fuck, if somebody DRUGS you without your knowing.

Not sure if the OP is discussing "freakouts", like a bad trip, or if they are asking about the media reports of people getting violent and fighting cops, etc..
People do that on alcohol. I'm sure it would be worse on something that was used as an anesthetic until it was found that it did not put the body down as well as the mind.
Walking around doing stuff while your higher mental faculties are knocked out isn't a good thing.
Either way, really. Bad trip or totally unhinged freak outs of any sort.

I did a pretty high dose when I took those 7 or 8 puffs, it felt like someone grabbed me by the soul and tore me away from my body. Violently. It was super fucking intense. But once i made the connection that it was just the PCP, everything calmed down and I was in full control. During the soul ripping, I felt like I was losing it but my girlfriend told me I was very levelheaded and responsive from start to finish, even though I didn't feel like it for the first fifteen minutes or so (I'm guessing it was 15 minutes, I have no idea, time didn't really exist for me during the experience. Could have been a couple minutes or hours really.)

I never once felt like I was going to go out and do anything I wouldn't normally do, though. Even when my mind was blown and I felt like I was out of the universe, I still felt level enough that I wouldn't do anything out of the ordinary besides struggle to walk around and talk like I was some sort of celestial being experiencing myself from another plane of existence. I spent almost the entire trip lying in bed talking to my girlfriend.

Fully agreed. Nobody should ever be dosed with anything without their consent. Its a total violation of their right to bodily autonomy. It is totally unacceptable to ever do that to someone

Fully agreed. Nobody should ever be dosed with anything without their consent. Its a total violation of their right to bodily autonomy. It is totally unacceptable to ever do that to someone
Also you could easily catch a murder charge.

Let's say the person is on a psychiatric drug like an MAOI....give them mdma meth, or several other drugs. They are dead.

Let's say the person has heart problems. Give them mdma or another amphetamine...dead.

Let's say the person is on prescription benzos. Give them an opioid...dead.

And so on.

Also you could easily catch a murder charge.

Let's say the person is on a psychiatric drug like an MAOI....give them mdma meth, or several other drugs. They are dead.

Let's say the person has heart problems. Give them mdma or another amphetamine...dead.

Let's say the person is on prescription benzos. Give them an opioid...dead.

And so on.
I smoked meth once while on some SSRI's. The day I relapsed two years ago, actually. The combination caused a serious case of serotonin syndrome and I almost died. I managed to survive with no permanent damage done somehow. It was a horribly scary experience.

I cant even imagine that happening to me if I were dosed without knowing what I was being dosed with or that it had even occurred. It would have made a horribly scary experience even worse. And I might have actually died because I wouldn't have been able to tell the doctors what I had done.